MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By alpha80 Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:01 pm
Gruik wrote:Do you live here?

:o
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By alpha80 Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:16 pm
OJ Reem wrote:Keygroup programming is a feature that you will probably see by the time it is widely available every where. Especially since the 1000 has it now and the 2500 will have it in March.
If you're right, and they give the 5000 keygroups, MPC-4000 users still can't use their 24-bit, 96k Keygroups on the 5000 ?

4000 users can't even load our drum programs (16 or 24 bit), cause this "flagship" only has 4 banks... :shock: :x ...we got 6 banks on our programs...

And we can't even load 1/2 as much programs as we can on the 4000, cause we got 512MB, I mean, my autoload is already 100MB+, and I'm super-picky with my autoload.

This 3500 has 960 PPQ, and that's great, maybe the FX don't suck this time? Great, but it's a joke in so many other dept, especially the sampler.

I doubt they could go far with any OS update for the 5000...
I predict it'll sell very few units, mostly to posers, and newbies, cause I know those converters won't sound thick and heavy like the 3000/60mk2, and I know ALL 4000 users are laughing at this.

Do you think Rodney Jerkins (mpc4000) is gonna change all his 24/96k keygroup programs, and grab this piece of sh!t ?

Do think Puffy (mpc4000) is gonna down-convert all those perfectly compressed BIG 24bit drums to 16bit, and hack two banks out of his programs, for a machine with the same or less(using FX) polyphony, and most definitely worse D/A converters ?

Do you think Timbo (2 mpc4000) is gonna do the same to all his programs for 16bit machines with worse converters?

Do you think anybody with a computer and soundcard needs to be able to track 2-tracks into an MPC with inferior 16-bit converters?

Who doesn't already have a sh!tty VA plug-in or module ?

IDK boss, I can't see anyone intelligent who owns a 1000/2500 w/ JJ os, with a computer buying this piece of trash for all that money.

By deck daddy Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:05 pm
soulscientist wrote:I want this asap, its perfect for my workflow. And for $2500 its a mustbuy! My crappy 1000 is going through the window and in comes the 5000. I'm gonna spend alot of nights making music with this machine. My 1k keeps breaking all the time, i dont want to solder i want to make beats.

I really don't think the built quality of this is much better than your 1000. It's not going to last.

By deck daddy Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:17 pm
McSmooth wrote:It does look like a nice machine when compared to a 2500

But the 2500 is not a nice machine, and not what you compare the flagship model to...

You compare it to the 4000, 60 and 3000.

4000 is still the most advanced, because it is a sampler with a sequencer. The sampler and sequencer should get the highest priority. You don't make another stupid 16 bit only sampler.

Since you are supposed to make music with it should sound great. Thats why you compare it to the 3000. You compare it woth the 3000's user-friendly set up with dedicated buttons on the most used features.

And you compare it with the originality of the MPC's. The 60 and 3000 has an originality. They are something unlike anything. They sound different than a computer.

By rookie Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:55 pm
Do you think Rodney Jerkins (mpc4000) is gonna change all his 24/96k keygroup programs, and grab this piece of sh!t ?

Do think Puffy (mpc4000) is gonna down-convert all those perfectly compressed BIG 24bit drums to 16bit, and hack two banks out of his programs, for a machine with the same or less(using FX) polyphony, and most definitely worse D/A converters ?

Do you think Timbo (2 mpc4000) is gonna do the same to all his programs for 16bit machines with worse converters?

Do you think anybody with a computer and soundcard needs to be able to track 2-tracks into an MPC with inferior 16-bit converters?

Who doesn't already have a sh!tty VA plug-in or module ?

IDK boss, I can't see anyone intelligent who owns a 1000/2500 w/ JJ os, with a computer buying this piece of trash for all that money.

these cat's probably get them free :D but yeah,why would yu have a digital in with 16bit.but as far as sampling goes,what you put in is what you get out.these guy's run there sample's through all types of junk before they hit the mp.I'm quite sure they will experiment,most producer's are gear freaks.all timbo has to say is I did that track with a 5000 and there sold! they probably already have checks signed just for that.blue haze had a good point about them not caring about the old mp headz and thats why.akai is basically a new company,under new plans,the team who did the 4k might be gone ala roger linn,so think change and watch the 4k turn legend!
Last edited by rookie on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By AWW_NAWW Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:18 pm
I think they made this for the techno people. nothing wrong with that its just not what I was saving my money up for. I mean hit one pad over and over anyou get 4 different sounds coming off of it cycleing through is just being lazy or maybe Ijust wasnt the market they were tring to reach with this thing but I still think they could have done better

By cyrus Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:41 pm
i think the 5000 could be a good aim at the vinyl samplerists. I mean, when you sample and chop vinyl, lots of times the only reason i have an external synth is to add a bassline. Witht he synth inside id imagine it makes that easier.

Its a perfect box for chopping vinyl and adding drums and basslines type machine.

I must admit, the lack of keygroups is just plain retarded.

By soulscientist Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:01 pm
I really don't think the built quality of this is much better than your 1000. It's not going to last.

I miss the build design of my old 2kxl, and im pretty sure the 2500/5000 is closer to that (mostly thanx to the same pad design) than the 1k since they changed the whole pad structure on the tiny bastard. Although the new pad fix might do better.
But still, it has a better design like the 2500, original pads, tilted screen and better wheel.

I can't see anyone intelligent who owns a 1000/2500 w/ JJ os, with a computer buying this piece of trash for all that money

This machine is for all of us 16bit heads who doesnt care that much about 24bit but instead just to make beats as smooth as possible, and the 5000 def makes it smoother than both 1k & 2500. If i wanted to work with a computer i would but i like the mpc enviroment much more. And some more basic features (like 64poly and usb2) is more than welcome and enough for me to upgrade.

Its a perfect box for chopping vinyl and adding drums and basslines type machine.

Hell yes, its perfect for this. And this is one of my favourite ways of making beats. And this 5k makes it alot faster and even more fun.

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:21 am
All the talk about 16 bit. I actually buy CDs so I listen to 16 bit/44.1 khz music files all day every day. But the majority of the world listens to heavly compressed MP3s...nobody outside of internet music production forums care if a sampler is 16 or 24 bit. I like my sh!t grimy and old school so I use a 16 bit sampler (knowing full well that 12 bit is the holy grail) :lol:

By illiac Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:53 am
OJ Reem wrote:nobody outside of internet music production forums care if a sampler is 16 or 24 bit.

What utter nonsense. You think that EXS24 (quiz: what do you think the 24 stands for?) or Kontakt or Giga or any of the other samplers that are used day in and day out on virtually every production recording that is made these days would get no reaction from their professional user base if they dropped the bit depth from 24 to 16? Get real. There hasn't been a high-quality sample library issued in years that isn't 24 bits.

-illiac

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:18 am
illiac wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:nobody outside of internet music production forums care if a sampler is 16 or 24 bit.

What utter nonsense. You think that EXS24 (quiz: what do you think the 24 stands for?) or Kontakt or Giga or any of the other samplers that are used day in and day out on virtually every production recording that is made these days would get no reaction from their professional user base if they dropped the bit depth from 24 to 16? Get real. There hasn't been a high-quality sample library issued in years that isn't 24 bits.

-illiac

I guess you didn't read my response thoroughly. I can think of quite a few producers that still use 16 bit drum machines/samplers. There are many more of those than ones that use 24 bit machines like the MPC 4000. And likewise, I could care less about recording at 32 bits and sample rates up to 96Khz although I have gear that supports it....16 bit CD quality is just fine with me 15 years ago and is fine with me today. Nothing will change the fact that all of the popular sampling drum machines are 16 bit.

By illiac Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:25 am
OJ Reem wrote:
illiac wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:Nothing will change the fact that all of the popular sampling drum machines are 16 bit.

Yes, something will change that fact. The something is called a computer.

-illiac

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:40 am
illiac wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:Nothing will change the fact that all of the popular sampling drum machines are 16 bit.

Yes, something will change that fact. The something is called a computer.

-illiac

I would bet that most of us have computers yet we still prefer MPCs thus M.P.C. Forums :P

By illiac Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:10 am
My point was that for every producer who is using a 16-bit drum machine, there are 10 other producers using 24-bit samplers in software.

I very much prefer to use an MPC over a software sampler. But I won't have any choice but to move to software if sticking with MPCs means that my audio quality and interoperation with the computer goes all to sh*t.

-illiac

By McSmooth Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:08 am
deck daddy wrote:
McSmooth wrote:It does look like a nice machine when compared to a 2500

But the 2500 is not a nice machine, and not what you compare the flagship model to...

You compare it to the 4000, 60 and 3000.

4000 is still the most advanced, because it is a sampler with a sequencer. The sampler and sequencer should get the highest priority. You don't make another stupid 16 bit only sampler.

Since you are supposed to make music with it should sound great. Thats why you compare it to the 3000. You compare it woth the 3000's user-friendly set up with dedicated buttons on the most used features.

And you compare it with the originality of the MPC's. The 60 and 3000 has an originality. They are something unlike anything. They sound different than a computer.

Not sure if that entire post was directed at me... check out the majority of my posts in this 5000 forum and you'll see I'm knocking it because of its shortcomings on the 4k/MV. I simply stated it was nice compared to the 2500 (for those that like it)... but I was also dissing that machine when it came out too (it still has features missing from the 2000XL). The 4000 is my centerpeice and will be for quite some time. I doubt any MPC will ever fully replace it.

The one point you really nailed is the originality factor. When the 60, 3000, 2000, XL and 4000 all dropped, they dropped with features people hadn't seen before and were oohing and ahing over. There hasn't been anything revolutionary since then. The last 3 MPCs were rehashes in smaller boxes and gimmicky features like "chop shop" and "patched phrase". With the 5000, they simply took ideas the MV has been doing for 5 years. Nothing original about it. So what do they do? Market it as the "FIRST MPC" to have those features.

I'm not sure how important the 16 bit thing is on a phrase sampler, but at the same time, I don't know why they wouldn't just go 24 bit for the sake of specs. Shouldn't be too hard in this day and age where a lot of consumer gear does 24/96. Akai does talk about how the 5000 can mix down to a 24 bit file, so does that mean that it processes at 24 bit or that it just pads zeros? I'd think the latter or it would run at 24 bit at all times. 16 vs 24 bit is debatable when it comes to sample quality, but there is no question that you will get better results mixing and processing in a 24 bit environment.

The one thing I will say about the 5k... I think if I had to pick only ONE peice of gear to take on an island with a pair of headphones, I'd consider it over the 4k. Although it doesn't do everything perfect by a long shot, it has a lot in one box. The MV is more capable, but I personally plain perfer the MPC workflow and feel.