MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By AWW_NAWW Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:48 pm
your happieness ??? not really I care because I had saved up money to get this new flagship only to find out its just fagsht

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:57 pm
AWW_NAWW wrote:your happieness ??? not really I care because I had saved up money to get this new flagship only to find out its just fagsht

Search your feeling and admit the truth. You know you are going to put your MPC on Craig's List and wait for the MPC 5000 to arrive. All of you naysayers will do the exact same thing. Just because Akai released an MPC with a higher number doesn't take away the "status" you have using the MPC 4000. You are still royalty in my book.

By McSmooth Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:54 am
OJ Reem wrote:With all the long posts, I forgot what we were talking/debating. I guess it was just that fact that you assume to know why hardware samplers failed and why software appears to be the thing now. When in reality, the same thing is true for hardware sequencers. If you visit other forums, you will see that there are probably 10 people to 1 that don't use MPCs or MVs at all. (the actuall numbers is just a guess-timation).

You are just trying to argue, this still has nothing to do with the topic. But if you must... there is obviously still a market for grooveboxes or they wouldn't still be selling. Rack hardware samplers on the other hand did not. Its pretty plain logic to follow. But who cares, software has topped MPCs for too long, we are on this board because we want to use MPCs instead. We all have that in common here. Lucky there are enough of us buying to keep them in production for now.

You are wrong about the direction of Akai. MPCs have and will always be MIDI sequencers. This is why they have retained the 4 MIDI outputs with the MPC 2500 and 5000. It doesn't matter that the "M" now stands for music instead of MIDI. They have added full MIDI CC's controls to all the Q-link knobs and sliders. They are adding more MIDI features and not taking them away. I am speaking for myself though and only report what I see. Which is most people in these forums rarely discuss using the MIDI outputs but focus more on using it as a stand alone unit based upon the type of threads people start.

How am I worng? There haven't been many MIDI and sequencing improvements at all since the 4000, they are just trying to get it back up to par (and are still short). Hopefully they do and finally add some of the unique features the other grooveboxes have done for years (independent track lengths, MIDI FX, XoX style programming just to name a few). That would turn some heads. The point is that they are clearly focusing on other aspects now.

This new MPC in its current state has appeared to anger people. This is some strange phenomenon. It seems to be attracting so much negative energy as if Akai owed people something that they couldn't live without. This hate is coming from everywhere in every forum. If I was an MPC 1000, 2000, 2000XL, 2500, or 3000 user, I would certainly pick up this item if the feature set is what I needed. If I was an MPC 4000 user that wanted the MPC 5000 specific features more than I value MPC 4000 specific features..the choice would be obvious. But in the end, I would get one of these MPCs and be happy. If this product fall short of your expectations, why care about it? As far as what we should read and not read in these forums, I am as inclined to read the hater comments as the haters are to read my favorable comments. I am going to be happy with my shiny new toy and you can keep your pony. But I suspect, you will be looking over your shoulder trying to figure out why I am so happy :wink:

Some may be angry because they were hoping for something better. I'm happy with what I have and have been here to find and state facts. I also feel people should buy it for what it is, not what they dream their savior could provide in the future. I do think it is a nice upgrade for anyone using one of the current plastic MPCs that does not already have synths or a DAW/multitrack recorder. I'd think that most people that can afford this would already have those things though, so it seems like a lot of overlap instead of concentrating on the key MPC features. I already peaked over my shoulder, and now my eyes are back on my 4k, my synths, and my DAW when I need to record. But again, nice stand alone box.

By scd Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:13 am
OJ Reem wrote:
McSmooth wrote: It seems no one is actually using the MIDI implementation and all those MIDI outputs.

http://www.synthmusic.info

All digital and analog synths are steared by my MPC4k (plus two AMT 8 midi interfaces). The 4k is the heart of my composing/recording setup and that works *fantastically*. The onboard sampler is definately a big pro, but not a must.
The 5000 could do exactly the same, but with a much better interface.
My point: there *are* people around using the mpc's differently then just creating beats.

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:32 am
Too keep this short...I am going to get an MPC 5000 regardless of what people think about it. Its a MIDI sequencer and sampler in a box. My guess they have to have to balance what they feel people need and want. The MIDI sequencer is fine the way it is for what I do so I feel comfort in the fact that I am one of their target consumers. I believed they have addressed MPC key features by listening to us consumers.

The MPC 4000 has a few Q-link sliders and knobs. This newer MPC has been given much more. I believe I have heard that the MPC 4000 was lacking in this area or that it wasn't implemented correctly. As the first major MPC under new management, I feel like this will be addressed. I know others are not as confident as I. But if they really used their brains instead of emotions, they will probably concede and either love their MPC the way it is or sell it so they can get something else. Your feature requests has one that is on my own list. I will add the others. But from conversations in these forums, there are much bigger MPC first features people are more interested in.

Adressing the anger...it is so silly for people to be angered as if Akai owed them something or as if they had stock in the company. (maybe just as silly as me defending them) They need to get over themselves. Look at all the threads. They are all simply I hate the new MPC threads. Most of them haven't seen or toched this MPC or have read about what it actually does. Then they want to complain about price? Akai does not owe any of you anything. This MPC is a major improvement over any MPC IMHO. I say that because it has added features I want that the MPC 4000 and 2500 don't have. Its funny that you say that this MPC is for people that don't have a synth or multitrack recorder. Because I think you don't need features in the MPC 4000 that is in many rackmount romplers or is included in a plugin in our DAWs. Anybody willing to invest the amount of money on an MPC 4000, I would assume they have plenty of these other tools. Like me, I have keygroup programming in 3 software samplers. The only reason why I would want that in this new MPCs is to make this a happier place and have less people complaining about Akai.

I think Akai needs to create their own official MPC forum. They should hae moderators on their beta teams that can communicate directly with users....something like the MV Forum. They don't spend countless hours bashing the MV like what goes over here.

But in the end, I will keep on defending the MPC 5000 and create some great threads about what you can do with it once it is delivered on my doorstep. Too bad you won't be one of the MPC 5000 users. I will keep you updated if you want.

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:36 am
scd wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:
McSmooth wrote: It seems no one is actually using the MIDI implementation and all those MIDI outputs.

All digital and analog synths are steared by my MPC4k (plus two AMT 8 midi interfaces). The 4k is the heart of my composing/recording setup and that works *fantastically*. The onboard sampler is definately a big pro, but not a must.
My point: there *are* people around using the mpc's differently then just creating beats.

I like...I like. Seeing those pics is going to put me back in rehab....

By McSmooth Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:22 am
scd wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:

Just to be clear, you misquoted; that was a quote from Reem, not me. If that is your setup, it is quite like mine MIDI wise (mine is nowhere near as vintage though, serioius respect). Without another outboard sampler, I find the onbaord 4k sampler IS a must for me. As a synth enthusiast, I like to be able to apply synth techniques to samples. The mod matrix on the Z engine is great for the ultimate customization. Unfortunately your average chop-up-loops-joe will never understand how that works. If you honestly know and use your 4k, I'm not sure why you say the 5000 has a better interface... More q-links?

Reem, constructive critisism is good wether its an official forum or not. The company needs to be able to see what people like and do not like. Believe me, the 4k forum is full of complainers today (as are probably all others). The only difference for right now is that the 5k is the only one that has a shot at getting a decent official OS update. Just don't lose sleep waiting for anything.

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:03 am
McSmooth wrote:Just to be clear, you misquoted; that was a quote from Reem, not me. If that is your setup, it is quite like mine MIDI wise (mine is nowhere near as vintage though, serioius respect). Without another outboard sampler, I find the onbaord 4k sampler IS a must for me. As a synth enthusiast, I like to be able to apply synth techniques to samples. The mod matrix on the Z engine is great for the ultimate customization. Unfortunately your average chop-up-loops-joe will never understand how that works. If you honestly know and use your 4k, I'm not sure why you say the 5000 has a better interface... More q-links?

Reem, constructive critisism is good wether its an official forum or not. The company needs to be able to see what people like and do not like. Believe me, the 4k forum is full of complainers today (as are probably all others). The only difference for right now is that the 5k is the only one that has a shot at getting a decent official OS update. Just don't lose sleep waiting for anything.

Mod Matrix? Are you talking about the MPC 4000s Matrix Display?

Constructive critisism? There isn't one member in this forum that actually gives Akai constructive critism. They look at this forum as a bunch of babies (not inside information but that's my assessment).

By kebzer Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:29 am
The only problem with AKAI is that they still refuse to release their OS code to the public. I actually can't believe how these people failed to recognize that JJ kept 1k and 2500 in life because of his OS. To be more precise, he managed to make these two machines respectable to all beatmakers, although they were just a pile of shit when they first got released. The same can happen with 5000. Imagine all the possibilities.

If AKAI made its OS open code, then all machines would get revived and I believe that the revenue that would arise from spare parts for all machines would be more than sufficient to cover all AKAI's GP expectations. However, this simple fact was passed away by their CEO's and the results are known to all of us (what's next, the AKAI logo to be changed?).

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:36 am
kebzer wrote:The only problem with AKAI is that they still refuse to release their OS code to the public. I actually can't believe how these people failed to recognize that JJ kept 1k and 2500 in life because of his OS. To be more precise, he managed to make these two machines respectable to all beatmakers, although they were just a pile of **** when they first got released. The same can happen with 5000. Imagine all the possibilities.

If AKAI made its OS open code, then all machines would get revived and I believe that the revenue that would arise from spare parts for all machines would be more than sufficient to cover all AKAI's GP expectations. However, this simple fact was passed away by their CEO's and the results are known to all of us (what's next, the AKAI logo to be changed?).

Before the MPC 2500 was released, most of the beat makes you are talking about were using the MPC 2000XL and 3000. These machines couldn't do a fraction of the things the 2500 could do when it was released. JJ came with an OS..I believe 1 or 1 1/2 years later. The latest Akai "official" OS is at 1.23. It does much more than the 2000XL and 3000.

By kebzer Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:13 am
I have a 2kxl which I trade for nothing in this world. I have compared it side to side with a 2500 for more than 5 hours and besides the process speed, the 2500 is a plain piece of shit. The sequencer sucks even more than Reason, the pads are exactly the same like the MPD24 which I owned before my 2kxl and all the whistles around it are not enough to match the middle range output and the swing of the 2kxl.

And the above are not assumptions based on written comments in forums but actuals facts derived from my personal experience with both machines. Sure I admit that's all these are subject to everyone's perception as what swing and sound is all about. However, it doesn't change my view towards all new school machines, even the 4000.

So, I would definetelly benefit from an OS update as way too many beatmakers out there would also do. Cause we are dedicated to our machines because of certain, undisputed facts. The rest of you can continue to argue over the 4000 vs 5000 and their sampling capabilities, even though most of your loops are coming straight from your PC's in mp3 format.

By blueopus Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:44 am
the sequencer sucks even more than Reason,

What the hell are you talking about, i've had the 2000xl and tried the 2500. The sequencer is more or less the same, only better since it incorporates sampling with the sequencer with direct record.
You cannot compare any mpc with reason, unless your doped up on some powerful mindaltering drug...

By kebzer Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:57 am
Reason has probably the easiest linear sequencer out there. However, I must add to my previous post that for me one of the most important things on a sequencer is it's "swing" or the way it can play back those midi notes recorded. And in that specific era, Reason and 2500 have exactly the same feel, i.e. PC-like perfect timing.

By Blue Haze Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:30 pm
McSmooth wrote:Reem, I know you've been defending this product pretty heavily. I don't think you can ignore what the 4k users are saying about what it is missing as it is true; The 4k sample engine blows the 5k away and will after all of its OS updates.

However, I think you did nail the main point as to why it might not matter. Not because the 5k is superior, just that the mass MPC target audience does not care:
OJ Reem wrote:You do know that the MPC 4000 was designed under the old Akai. I can understand why new management decided to focus their efforts on new products. If the MPC 4000 and the Z series samplers were jumping off of shevles maybe Akai wouldn't have been in financial trouble.

The Z sampler line failed badly due to the end of hardware samplers and the reign of soft samplers. The 4k was already in the works before they realized this and they had to follow through. A good chunk of the new users that pop up on the 4k forum have no clue how to use keygroup programs and multis. People today want everything spoon fed to them and not have to do any reading/research. I and other 4k owners can aruge until blue in the face on why keygroup programs and countless other Z-engine features are important, but the average user doesn't care or know what the hell we are talking about.

I think it is safe to say that 90+% of MPC users are simply using it to put together simple hip hop beats. Like the original MPC60, you don't need much of a sampler to chop up loops or play drums. The newer line is simply making the process quicker and easier. It is a sad realization that the technical users will have to resort to other samplers and/or software. I personally went to the Z for sampling power, then moved to the 4k to help streamline the process into one machine. To me, it is a masterpeice. It is unfortunate they couldn't expand from there, but I guess if Akai wants to stay in business this time around, they have to appeal to the masses.

Exacto you definitively hit it on the head. That is why I realized that Akai doesn`t care about a real improvement just the bottom line dollar. And the masses want just the joe simple stuff. But the few that know understand with the right choice samples the 4k is tremendous but that comes from understanding of sound designing and alot of experience. The 5k will in a little whiile simiplify that process with presets and hold your hand automation for anybody.

All well the 4k is on its way to being a classic.

By Cheebatone Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:50 pm
Back OT: I've been told to expect them in England about mid-March @ £1299.