MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By OJ Reem Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:33 pm
Akai's MPC5000 Team:

....be sure to register your MPC5000 at our website (www.akaipro.com) so we can give you the best possible service. And since the MPC5000's operating system is upgradeable, check the site once in awhile for late breaking news. Future versions of the operating system will include things like new features requested by our users as well as improvements on existing features. Also, you might want to check for new beats and samples once in awhile.

We hope your investment will bring many yearsof creative enjoymentand help you achieve your musical goals.
Sincerely,

The MPC5000 Team

Well, the MPC 5000 is on it's way and it is obvious we will not get hardware changes since it is already fully upgraded minus the CDR drive.

Since they will be taking user requests for features, I have compiled a list of features (some may already exist or is planned). Some of these may seem to be unnessary and others may me needed immediately.

So here it goes in no particular order:
1. Keep the same workflow as the MPC 2500/1000!
2. Non-destructive chopping (JJ OS)
3. Instrument programs/Key group programs w/ all features of synth programs (MPC 4000/JJ OS)
4. Global program perimeters (filters, LFOs, etc) in sample programs (and requested instrument programs) similar to the features in synth programs above
5. Run sample programs/instrument (key group) programs through synth
6. Assign multiple programs to a multi-program (MPC 4000)
7. 300,000 note sequencer
8. 128 sequencer tracks
9. Up to two MIDI output channels per track (MPC 3000)
10. Real time pitch shift w/o impacting tempo – recorded samples or during recording
11. *More memory
12. Stream samples from hard drive or CF card (*wouldn’t need more memory)
13. Improved mixer channel strips: add EQ and insert dynamics to each channel
14. Add 4-band parametric EQ as a filter type as well as the Master EQ
15. EQ and Dynamic presets
16. At least 2 LFOs and 2 filters per sample or program
17. Mount/Un-mount USB connection to PC w/o removing cable!
18. USB slave features that allow editing of programs/samples via PC
19. Independent loop settings for each track
20. Hard disk recording virtual tracks for multiple takes
21. Real-time time stretching of continuous sample tracks (make them sync to master sequencer tempo)
22. Load 24 or 32 bit samples (samples at high sample rates are already supported but downsized upon loading) – (in other words, I can flawlessly load my Kontakt/Battery sample library)
23. Sampling/re-sampling with adjustable sample rates/bit depth (in spite of having the decimator and resampler in the FXs processor)
24. Sample list view - where you can tag (select/deselect or check/uncheck) one or more samples for deletion or loading
25. Loading folders: automatically assign multiple samples in a folder to a program/pads
26. Independent filters per sample layer
27. X-fade settings between sample layers
28. Add reverse and alternating to the sample play mode
29. 128-voices
30. FXs processor: no processor drain unless actual audio is actively being processed
31. FX sets as a save-able file type (so you can easily share your settings with others)
32. Improved data compatibility with all Akai/MPC sample/patch formats as well as Roland, Akai, Emu, and Yamaha formats
Last edited by OJ Reem on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Kalei Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:20 am
Good luck with that! LOL :mrgreen:

By BeatznBooze Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:27 am
Jesus **** Christ

The damn thing ain't even shipping yet and you're asking for features???

By TheFirstJimBo Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:43 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:

By McSmooth Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:12 am
For someone that has been pushing how great this machine is, that is a pretty long list! But seriously, that is a good list regardless of what is actually possible or not. You obvioiusly have been doing your homework and taking notes. The box does have a lot of potential, so we'll see how much they want to put into it. As we saw with the 4k, it probably will depend on sales. The hardest part about your first item, "Keep the same workflow as the MPC 2500/1000", is that when you add some of the advanced features (like on the 4k), you have to change the workflow. The most obvioius example is multis like you mention in 6. The way the concept works is very confusing to people who are used to standard MPC program layout. But hell, if they are asking for feature requests, I guess it can't hurt to throw them out there.

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:07 am
McSmooth wrote:For someone that has been pushing how great this machine is, that is a pretty long list! But seriously, that is a good list regardless of what is actually possible or not. You obvioiusly have been doing your homework and taking notes. The box does have a lot of potential, so we'll see how much they want to put into it. As we saw with the 4k, it probably will depend on sales. The hardest part about your first item, "Keep the same workflow as the MPC 2500/1000", is that when you add some of the advanced features (like on the 4k), you have to change the workflow. The most obvioius example is multis like you mention in 6. The way the concept works is very confusing to people who are used to standard MPC program layout. But hell, if they are asking for feature requests, I guess it can't hurt to throw them out there.

If the price will stay at $2500, I don't think they don't have to worry about sales. It will put it in the same price range as other workstations.

I have read over the MPC 5000s manuals several times and looked at what I like most in MPCs, and features I wanted for a long time to come up with this list. I don't waste time at all :D After reading up and looking into other products, this MPC 5000 appears to have a lot in common not with just the newer MPCs but the Fusion as well. From the actual LCD screen to some of the menus. If they really did add Fusion's sampler in this MPC, some of the key features I request can possibly be a reality. I think Akai can do this without messing up the work flow. To add a program, you simply select sample program (typical MPC program), synth program (new 20 voice synth) or an instrument program (as in the JJ OS..which is a keygroup program). This would be quite simple and not difficult for users to figure out. The MPC 4000 goes about it in a more complex way.
By alpha80 Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:12 pm
HAHAHAH they/fanboy already know this pitiful sh!t ain't gonna sell. :lol: :lol:
OJ Reem wrote:30. FXs processor: no processor drain unless actual audio is actively being processed
^What ?... :?: :lol:

By alpha80 Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:18 pm
OJ Reem wrote:If the price will stay at $2500, I don't think they don't have to worry about sales. It will put it in the same price range as other workstations.
MV-8800 costs what $200 more?, and absolutely sh!ts on this 3500 in almost every REAL feature, except one big one...TIMING.
What else ?

It needs more to compete in that price range, and alot more to win in that price range.

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:41 pm
alpha80 wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:If the price will stay at $2500, I don't think they don't have to worry about sales. It will put it in the same price range as other workstations.
MV-8800 costs what $200 more?, and absolutely sh!ts on this 3500 in almost every REAL feature, except one big one...TIMING.
What else ?

It needs more to compete in that price range, and alot more to win in that price range.

Real features? So you get to pick in choose what the real features are? There are numerous threads with all its features. Download the manual for the MV and MPC 5000 and see for yourself. If the MV sh!ts on the MPC 5000, why concern yourself? You are taking this too personally.
By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:45 pm
alpha80 wrote:HAHAHAH they/fanboy already know this pitiful sh!t ain't gonna sell. :lol: :lol:
OJ Reem wrote:30. FXs processor: no processor drain unless actual audio is actively being processed
^What ?... :?: :lol:

Let me help you understand this. Cubase has a feature where you can throw and insert effect on everytrack if you wanted to. The effects processor is not activated until it receives actual audio. When there is no audio, it shuts off and doesn't drain the processor.

You appear to be use to only using a device which has only one multi-effect. It will never been in any danger of overtaxing effect resources.

By TheFirstJimBo Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:44 pm
so why dont you just use cubase?

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Updated:

OJ Reem wrote:
Akai's MPC5000 Team:

....be sure to register your MPC5000 at our website (www.akaipro.com) so we can give you the best possible service. And since the MPC5000's operating system is upgradeable, check the site once in awhile for late breaking news. Future versions of the operating system will include things like new features requested by our users as well as improvements on existing features. Also, you might want to check for new beats and samples once in awhile.

We hope your investment will bring many yearsof creative enjoymentand help you achieve your musical goals.
Sincerely,

The MPC5000 Team

Well, the MPC 5000 is on it's way and it is obvious we will not get hardware changes since it is already fully upgraded minus the CDR drive.

Since they will be taking user requests for features, I have compiled a list of features (some may already exist or is planned). Some of these may seem to be unnessary and others may me needed immediately.

So here it goes in no particular order:
1. Keep the same workflow as the MPC 2500/1000!
2. Non-destructive chopping (JJ OS)
3. Instrument programs/Key group programs w/ all features of synth programs (MPC 4000/JJ OS)
4. *Global program perimeters (filters, LFOs, etc) in sample programs (and requested instrument programs) similar to the features in synth programs above
5. *Q-link control of global program perimeters such as filters, LFOs, and amp envelopes

6. Run sample programs/instrument (key group) programs through synth
7. Assign multiple programs to a multi-program (MPC 4000)
8. 300,000 note sequencer
9. 128 sequencer tracks
10. Up to two MIDI output channels per track (MPC 3000)
11. Real time pitch shift w/o impacting tempo – recorded samples or during recording
12. *More memory
13. Stream samples from hard drive or CF card (*wouldn’t need more memory)
14. Improved mixer channel strips: add EQ and insert dynamics to each channel
15. Add 4-band parametric EQ as a filter type as well as the Master EQ
16. EQ and Dynamic presets
17. At least 2 LFOs and 2 filters per sample or program
18. Mount/Un-mount USB connection to PC w/o removing cable!
19. USB slave features that allow editing of programs/samples via PC
20. Independent loop settings for each track
21. Hard disk recording virtual tracks for multiple takes
22. Real-time time stretching of continuous sample tracks (make them sync to master sequencer tempo)
23. Load 24 or 32 bit samples (samples at high sample rates are already supported but downsized upon loading) – (in other words, I can flawlessly load my Kontakt/Battery sample library)
24. Sampling/re-sampling with adjustable sample rates/bit depth (in spite of having the decimator and resampler in the FXs processor)
25. Sample list view - where you can tag (select/deselect or check/uncheck) one or more samples for deletion or loading
26. Loading folders: automatically assign multiple samples in a folder to a program/pads
27. Independent filters per sample layer
28. X-fade settings between sample layers
29. Add reverse and alternating to the sample play mode
30. 128-voices
31. FXs processor: no processor drain unless actual audio is actively being processed (or design an FX processor that can support use of 8 instances of your CPU intensive effects)

32. FX sets as a save-able file type (so you can easily share your settings with others)
33. Improved data compatibility with all Akai/MPC sample/patch formats as well as Roland, Akai, Emu, and Yamaha formats
34. Seq Editing Menu: Add Clip Board w/ namable clips when copying or moving sequenced clips
Last edited by OJ Reem on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:25 pm
Exactly. I was hoping for a $3500 MPC.