MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Blue Haze Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:54 am
This is a message to potential buyers as there are enough threads of mpc users who are aganist the 5000. As I have just about completed reading the reference manual in-depth I have seen the potential of the 5k aka 3500 and I have decided to purchase it in some future date.

It is not as powerful as my understanding of my 4k but I could use it in place of my mpc 3000 and Korg ESX for phrase sampling. Since I don`t plan of selling my 4k and I`m quite happy with it I see the 3500 as a having more quick, convienent, and automated parameters than my old 2xl, 3k, 1k, and the current 2500. It is a different from a 4k and I see some parts I could incorporate in the various productions I do. Anyways it isn`t a replacement just an addition to my studio. I will purchase one 6 to 8 months used after release cuz I`m experienced buyer now and I only need to be patient for some new cat to sell it off and I can get a bargain.

From reading the documentation one can easily see that the convience added is a positive thing. Do I need it no just it helps. Still my main tools is 4k, Logic, and my mind.

Who else cuz it is the man not the machine that creates the music?

I think it will be a great PHRASE SAMPLER and the LOOPMASTERS LIBRARY is a nice addition too.

King it is not but I don`t care cuz I should be able to do what I want on whatever tool I use once the basics are understood. It seems like a very easy, simple gear to use. And I still will have my 4k. 8)

Yes 3500 I will get. Who else. But I warn you never get gassed off of your new gear cuz another user on older gear can blast our ass out the what on a 3k or 4K whatever based on understanding on how to make beautiful music. It is the Man not the Machine, the Man not the Machine.

By asillasitgets Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 am
I plan on upgrading to the 5000(or 3500) from my 2KXL(since 2001). I do not sample much, so the phrase sampler is fine for me. I do not really need a 24Bit/96khz machine. I would see almost no advantage to a 4000 user switching to 5000, as the 4000 still remains the most powerful mpc sampler by far.

I am looking especially forward to the 960 pqn sequencer, 4midi outs, HD recording (I incorporate live guitar and other instruments into my production), grid edit midi view, and an overall faster/better workflow.

I have low expectations for the VA Synth, effects, mixdown, and pad cycle functions.

It will definitely be a step up for me, being a 2KXL user.

By Blue Haze Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:47 am
Actually the phrase sampler is fine for loops which where the term phrase comes from. It can import 24bit files just is converts them to 16bit for output. You are right about switching for 4k users but adding yes as indeed I am planning and upgrading as you are doing from a 2xl I think it would be a nice advantage.

Everything else Synth, Arp, Effects, Mixdown, and Pad Cycles comes into play after getting ones hands on one.

Peace

By ReuBen KinKade Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:41 am
To be truthful, I kinda dissed the 5000(3,500) because of it not being a high resolution sampler. I could have even tolerated less pad banks....but nooooooo 24 Bit /96 Khz ? Hey what the heck, I could have even been happy with 24 Bit /44.1 Khz ! I was all 'Up and ready" to get it ASAP, but the whole 16 Bit thing messed with me (I was traumatized....help mayee !!! -LOL !!). In reality, it does have some hot features, none of which are absolutely needed... but totally desirable as tools to augment the production. I still firmly believe that the MPC 4000 series, while quirky, is still the hottest machine Numark ever made (Akai's greatest two machines - MPC 3000 and MPC 2000 XL - chronologically respectively, of course). That said, I may still pick-up a 5000 in the future (Oh, if only it was upgradeable to 24 Bit / 96 Khz !!!), we'll see though. For now, IMO, the 4000 is still the sexiest broad on the block.....Word !!!

By Blue Haze Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:54 am
Likewise I definitivitly will keep my 4k. But the 5k is just an addition. Not a replacement unless coming up from a 2k and others.

By alpha80 Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:56 pm
Well, this 3500 is a joke of a flagship, and there's a 0% chance I'd f#@k with it unless it gets major surgery, and probly a new processor/more RAM to handle it...but it's only got 4 banks, no 24bit, and no multis, so it's safe to say most 4k owners won't f#@k with it...

...I'mma set all that aside and say this:

Prospective MPC/MV buyers who crate dig in all genres (UK/europe comes out with another breakbeat based genre weekly, right? :P ) are still gonna continue buying the MV or ableton live as long as those "Continuous sample tracks" don't have realtime timestretch on them.

Crate diggers who own classic MPC's, aren't gonna consider dropping them for an MPC with no real groundbreaking '08 type improvements either.

Patched phrase is mostly a joke feature. Diggers know this.
Slow the tempo of your sequence and you got blank potholes between chops, and not the good kind.
Speed the sequences' tempo up, and you got hiccups like a MF.
Even samples without rhythm/percussion/drums in 'em sound like sh!t in patched phrase.
It's a bad bad joke. :lol:

With realtime timestretch on multiple stereo tracks, diggers can chop and sequence like they normally would, solo the chopped tracks, re-sample the main outs, drop the new phrases/melodies comprised of chops, and other loops/more loops dropped onto multiple realtime-timestretch sample tracks, and play with the BPM's all they want, elastic, like it was ableton live.

This is a gigantic selling point stuck in Akai's f#@kin blind spot. :lol:

MV can load track after track of loops and samples, all realtime timestretched, perfectly in the groove with the drums over it no matter how fast or slow you pull it apart.
But the MV's timing sucks. People know this.
Ableton is incredible, but computer MIDI interfaces have lots of latency compared to MPC's pads.
Being able to nail a take live in one pass is easy on an MPC, and not easy on the others, because the timing sucks. People know this, and feel it.

One BIG improvement in the 3500/5000 was 960ppq timing.
Couple that with realtime-timestretch on those sample tracks, and the handful of other small perks, and that sh!tbox 3500 might just outsell the MV-8800 as long as the price point is below the MV's.

Diggers in all genres will be more willing to buy rock solid MPC timing @960ppq, over a color monitor and more RAM... if MAJOR capabilities are all equal. Take that to the bank.

The big question is:

:arrow: Can multiple sample tracks on the 3500/5000 full of loops currently play from RAM, or only stream from HD ?
If limited to streaming from the HD, this design would make implementation of realtime-timestretch on those continuous sample tracks impossible, no? :?:

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm
Potential (faithful) MPC 5000 users,

There are plenty of infidels among us. Some of you may have to question your own faith. You have to let go of the anger, hate, disappointment, etc. It's called the MPC 5000 and not the MPC 3500, 2500XL, or the most expensive MPC in Akai's history. Nicknaming it as such is not being for the MPC 5000. If users can't accept/believe in it why would anyone else? Once we start accepting it, we can network and help build up this unit to make it live up to it's name and not simply tear it down. It is quite obvious that this MPC will have OS updates in the future. It already appears to incorporate hardware/technology from the Fusion (I think this is a good thing). So it's potential may not be limited by its current spec sheet.

I plan on purchasing the MPC 5000 as soon as it is available. It will be a replacement for my MPCs. I am willing to take that leap of faith.

By illiac Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:38 pm
alpha80: That's a really nice summary of this thing in relation to the MV.

alpha80 wrote:If limited to streaming from the HD, this design would make implementation of realtime-timestretch on those continuous sample tracks impossible, no? :?:

I don't see why; you just have to read the data off the disk at the timestretched rate, rather than the original rate. That's probably not the most difficult aspect of adding real-time timestretch to the machine.

OJ Reem: that's pretty bizarre.

-illiac

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:47 pm
illiac wrote:alpha80: That's a really nice summary of this thing in relation to the MV.

alpha80 wrote:If limited to streaming from the HD, this design would make implementation of realtime-timestretch on those continuous sample tracks impossible, no? :?:

I don't see why; you just have to read the data off the disk at the timestretched rate, rather than the original rate. That's probably not the most difficult aspect of adding real-time timestretch to the machine.

OJ Reem: that's pretty bizarre.

-illiac

It's an MPC 5000 thing you wouldn't understand :lol:

By Blue Haze Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:58 pm
alpha80 wrote:Well, this 3500 is a joke of a flagship, and there's a 0% chance I'd f#@k with it unless it gets major surgery, and probly a new processor/more RAM to handle it...but it's only got 4 banks, no 24bit, and no multis, so it's safe to say most 4k owners won't f#@k with it...

...I'mma set all that aside and say this:

Prospective MPC/MV buyers who crate dig in all genres (UK/europe comes out with another breakbeat based genre weekly, right? :P ) are still gonna continue buying the MV or ableton live as long as those "Continuous sample tracks" don't have realtime timestretch on them.

Crate diggers who own classic MPC's, aren't gonna consider dropping them for an MPC with no real groundbreaking '08 type improvements either.

Patched phrase is mostly a joke feature. Diggers know this.
Slow the tempo of your sequence and you got blank potholes between chops, and not the good kind.
Speed the sequences' tempo up, and you got hiccups like a MF.
Even samples without rhythm/percussion/drums in 'em sound like sh!t in patched phrase.
It's a bad bad joke. :lol:

With realtime timestretch on multiple stereo tracks, diggers can chop and sequence like they normally would, solo the chopped tracks, re-sample the main outs, drop the new phrases/melodies comprised of chops, and other loops/more loops dropped onto multiple realtime-timestretch sample tracks, and play with the BPM's all they want, elastic, like it was ableton live.

This is a gigantic selling point stuck in Akai's f#@kin blind spot. :lol:

MV can load track after track of loops and samples, all realtime timestretched, perfectly in the groove with the drums over it no matter how fast or slow you pull it apart.
But the MV's timing sucks. People know this.
Ableton is incredible, but computer MIDI interfaces have lots of latency compared to MPC's pads.
Being able to nail a take live in one pass is easy on an MPC, and not easy on the others, because the timing sucks. People know this, and feel it.

One BIG improvement in the 3500/5000 was 960ppq timing.
Couple that with realtime-timestretch on those sample tracks, and the handful of other small perks, and that sh!tbox 3500 might just outsell the MV-8800 as long as the price point is below the MV's.

Diggers in all genres will be more willing to buy rock solid MPC timing @960ppq, over a color monitor and more RAM... if MAJOR capabilities are all equal. Take that to the bank.

The big question is:

:arrow: Can multiple sample tracks on the 3500/5000 full of loops currently play from RAM, or only stream from HD ?
If limited to streaming from the HD, this design would make implementation of realtime-timestretch on those continuous sample tracks impossible, no? :?:

From what I read in the ref yes you can play back sample tracks from the HD in the song mode but no more than your memory in ram.

No realtime timestretching but if you feel that the patch phrase is limited still you can do equal chops and pitching like we do on the 4k now.

I really don`t need patch phrase but it is the same in idea to Live to set warp markers at the start and end and grid markers by the timing of the notes 1/8, 1/16 or 1/4 plus the literature states the New SNAP to Zero functions just like on a mainstream DAW which I usually use in Peak.

As for as drum loop chopping then the chop shop should operate like recycle along with the midi sequence generated or like we do now just a program laid out on the pads.

I have to play with a demo unit to be sure but if it was like the 2500 you can have each pad loaded with a patch phrase to play in concert with the sequence in time.

All of this I can do using a different method on the 4k or 3k for that matter it is the method but the steps will be automated on the 5k so the speak.

I also use ableton for remixing and djing too. Of I could just process the phrase in ableton and export the loop to my 4k or 3k and ESX like I do now. But I think the potential is just convience nothing special to what I do now. I definitively don`t think it is a flagship that bs just to sell the unit and the 4k and it are two totally different units.

But I have a started on a 2xl, I own a 3k also, along with ESX as far as hardware units with my 4k. These days I am mostly software based instruments from Korg to Logic. But if I compared the ease and simplity from what I read on the 5k ref manual to my 3k and ESX yeah I could trade those units for it and continue on my way.

Like I said before I called it a 3500 cuz it is like an addition and it has some potential but I`m aware enough and actually pleased with my gear now the 4k I DON`T need or expect the psuedo 5000 to replace it.

Akai I think isn`t concern with current users just refining the past units with more ease and simplity for new users. The 4k has crazy potential but I have to say for alot of first time Sampler users it has over there heads and some lack the patience to stick with it and learn it. Alot of things I learn on it I understand especially concerning the program matrix and qlink connections are automated on the 3500. Don`t get it twist it isn`t as powerful as the 4k`s matrix but the little is does have seems to be very automated and designed even a baby cuz pick it up.

Just a simple ADDITIONAL tool not a replacement. With that thought I was open to possibilites. I understand most pros never sell what they have use over the yrs they keep it and build around it.

Anyways I will buy it some months later after some newbie off loads it used at Ishibashi music or Yokohama Power DJs in maxed out condition in version 1.4 OS cuz they were to frustrated to read the manual.

I don`t need it or crave it. But I could use it over the gear I`m not using right now like my 3k. ha, ha, ha.

By alpha80 Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:38 pm
OJ Reem wrote:Potential (faithful) MPC 5000 users,

There are plenty of infidels among us.
Oh sh!t....

Who the f#@k you calling infidel you lame sucker yessir bamma f@ggot ?? :lol:

I diss your new sh!tbox baby-to-be on real grounds, and you call me an infidel on some silly little white girl hoe sh!t ? :lol:

You got a 2500, a gang of rack modules, a 16/24 track, a computer, and you still dead set on buying this 3500 ?
I'm helping your dumb country-@ss save some money for them kids by cutting this sh!tbox down to size !
So you call me an infidel ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck girl.
Peace.

By NguoiDuc Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:35 pm
Well, I'm gonna get one as my main MIDI sequencer, as a tool to chop samples and to record a guitar or whatever. I'm gonna use it along with my maxed out S5000, my Yamaha TX 802, Korg ESX and Casio VZ 10m. I'm gonna add a Prophet 08, Moog or Studio Electronics C.O.D.E and some outboard later.

I tried Cubase, Logic, Live and worked with Reason alot. I never used more MIDI features then changing note lenght and pitch or doin controller automation. I usually don't to too much audio editing either. Most of the stuff stays raw and dirty. I didn't like the working style of a computer DAW. I was always trying all the feature and rarely made music. And I'm kind of a kid. I need knobs and sliders to touch and when I push buttons music has to come out of the speakers without the need to set up stuff or programming an army of controllers. So I think the MPC 5000 will be a good choice for me to go 100% hardware.

I'm feelin all the 4k fellas. It is a very good machine with great features. As for me, since I don't care about 24/96k it would be a bunch of unused features, since I have my S5000 for multis already.

So it's a matter of style. You would probably never find a peace of gear that does everything perfectly. (hmmm, maybe someone puts the 4k, the TASCAM X48 and a YAMAHA DM 1000 in one housing :wink: )

By TheFirstJimBo Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:46 pm
alpha80 wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:Potential (faithful) MPC 5000 users,

There are plenty of infidels among us.
Oh sh!t....

Who the f#@k you calling infidel you lame sucker yessir bamma f@ggot ?? :lol:

I diss your new sh!tbox baby-to-be on real grounds, and you call me an infidel on some silly little white girl hoe sh!t ? :lol:

You got a 2500, a gang of rack modules, a 16/24 track, a computer, and you still dead set on buying this 3500 ?
I'm helping your dumb country-@ss save some money for them kids by cutting this sh!tbox down to size !
So you call me an infidel ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck girl.
Peace.

:lol: too funny

By ReuBen KinKade Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:13 pm
Again, Whether someone will feel that the MPC 5000 is a "better" machine than the 4000 is subjective. I personally think that the 4000 'blows away' the 5000 in the audio quality department amongst other things, but even that, to some people, is a matter of opinion. To some, less pad banks, less RAM, less audio resolution, and suspect CPU, is a fair trade off for lower price, hot looks, creative features and the like. I know that mixing in a 24 Bit environment is an absolute essential for me. To be fair though, we haven't even received the 5000 yet. Maybe there will be a plus version that will accommodate us MPC 4000 die hards. Either way, they are all merely choices in tools. I'm sure if someone's goal is to court the major record companies or even distributing the product yourself on the streets, BOTH machines will get the job done if your production is hot ! In that regard, what consumer really cares if Justin Timberlake's hottest joint was done on a 4000 or a 5000 or if Maroon 5's latest record was done partially on both ? To those who really want that 5000, go and cop it !!! To those of us who love the 4000, that's what's up too. To those of us who want a little of both or even want to use the MPC 60, 2000, 3000, 2500, 4000, and 5000 combined, it's all good !!!

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:59 pm
The last time I check most sound modules and keyboards on the market run at 16 bit/44.1kHz. Did people throw all these crappy sounding modules away over night? Also, since the MPC 4000 is the only MPC that supports higher bit/sample rates, why is everyone still using those outdated 16 bit/44.1khz MPCs? So now that everyone is recording at 24 bit and higher sample rates because it sounds so great, why hasn't this translated to good music?

For the sake of argument and the fact that no one has an MPC 5000 just yet, I am curious to know which AD/DA converters and sound cards people are using around these forums to record their MPCs.