MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:34 pm
Thanks for posting this link for the MPC 5000. $2499 shipping at the end of Feb? Akai is really on top of their game with this one....

By LvngDead Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm
OJ Reem wrote:Thanks for posting this link for the MPC 5000. $2499 shipping at the end of Feb? Akai is really on top of their game with this one....

Sh*t ain't worth more than $1200 at most. You will be seeing me picking one up on ebay.

On another note, when the sp-555 came out, no one on ebay was selling it brand new for less than $500. Though there was this one no reserve auction for a sealed box unit that went for $350. I'm hopin someone does this with the new 3500 so I can have me another monster alongside the 8000.

By scd Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm
OJ Reem wrote:
dabmeister wrote:Last time I checked, a sample is recorded audio. No one claimed continuous sample tracks are streamed from the HD in real time. In the old MPCs, if your sequence starts after an event is supposed to be triggered..you will get no audio. However, this new function will start/stop/play multiple samples at the correct position every time. Using direct record and continuous sample track feature, you can plug-in a guitar or mic and record direct to the track....that audio track. Of course there is limitations. It doesn't have the normal editing functions of the 8 tracks of hard disk recording. However, I will keep calling continuous sample tracks audios tracks because that is what they are to me! Maybe I will call them audio tracks LE if that would make you happier :lol:

Actually the continues sample track is as you describe above.
There is only 1 real limitation: the limited sample memory.
But I would say it has also some *extra's* above HD streaming: being it a sample you'll have all the filter and modulation stuff added to it, which you don't have when streaming audio tracks. To me the continuous sample track feature is pretty nice.

By dabmeister Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:25 pm
scd wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:Last time I checked, a sample is recorded audio. No one claimed continuous sample tracks are streamed from the HD in real time. In the old MPCs, if your sequence starts after an event is supposed to be triggered..you will get no audio. However, this new function will start/stop/play multiple samples at the correct position every time. Using direct record and continuous sample track feature, you can plug-in a guitar or mic and record direct to the track....that audio track. Of course there is limitations. It doesn't have the normal editing functions of the 8 tracks of hard disk recording. However, I will keep calling continuous sample tracks audios tracks because that is what they are to me! Maybe I will call them audio tracks LE if that would make you happier :lol:

Actually the continues sample track is as you describe above.
There is only 1 real limitation: the limited sample memory.
But I would say it has also some *extra's* above HD streaming: being it a sample you'll have all the filter and modulation stuff added to it, which you don't have when streaming audio tracks. To me the continuous sample track feature is pretty nice.
Yo, straighten up your quotes man. :)

By scd Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:01 pm
Excusez moi...

By Blue Haze Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:39 am
If you are a sample based phrase producer this is the next step up from the 3k and 2500 series which I truely belief and I have been told this gear is marketed towards.

If one wants truely to go to the next level with a full sampler capabilities it is not but the synth does gives some possibilites if most user don`t design thier own sounds. Most 3k, 2k, and some on have an additional keyboard workstation or a sound module alongside their units. Akai simplified this adding the synth and leaving just a phrase/drum sampler.

Now the users that used the S950, S2000, S5000, Z8 and so on I think that Akai plus the third party companies has abandon this market in favor to software based companies which has tons of third party multisamples.

By Prophacee Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 am
I've been looking and listening. I don't think the 5000 is for me. I have a 2500, Pro Tools M-powered, an 18 in, 14 out interface, an Ensoniq EPS with 8 outs, a Motif rack, Reason 4 and a 2.4GHz iMac. If this is Akai's latest offering, I'm just gonna get a used 4000 and sell my 2500. Or just keep my 2500. I'm not paying that much for the 5000. No way. I can think of a bunch of other things to add to my rig for $2500. Thanks but no thanks.

By OJ Reem Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:40 am
Prophacee wrote:I've been looking and listening. I don't think the 5000 is for me. I have a 2500, Pro Tools M-powered, an 18 in, 14 out interface, an Ensoniq EPS with 8 outs, a Motif rack, Reason 4 and a 2.4GHz iMac. If this is Akai's latest offering, I'm just gonna get a used 4000 and sell my 2500. Or just keep my 2500. I'm not paying that much for the 5000. No way. I can think of a bunch of other things to add to my rig for $2500. Thanks but no thanks.

You came over here just to say that? Get yourself an MPC 4000..get rid of the M-powered and replace it with Logic, put the EPS in storage and get yourself a used Motif or Fantom or Triton.....

By dabmeister Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:53 am
OJ Reem wrote:
Prophacee wrote:I've been looking and listening. I don't think the 5000 is for me. I have a 2500, Pro Tools M-powered, an 18 in, 14 out interface, an Ensoniq EPS with 8 outs, a Motif rack, Reason 4 and a 2.4GHz iMac. If this is Akai's latest offering, I'm just gonna get a used 4000 and sell my 2500. Or just keep my 2500. I'm not paying that much for the 5000. No way. I can think of a bunch of other things to add to my rig for $2500. Thanks but no thanks.

You came over here just to say that? Get yourself an MPC 4000..get rid of the M-powered and replace it with Logic, put the EPS in storage and get yourself a used Motif or Fantom or Triton.....
How would you know, you dont know how to use this stuff yourself. You're just a gear collector. Stop giving false advice slim. :roll:

By sparq Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:23 pm
yo Blue, remember a conversation we had a while ago. it's finally here.......

By Blue Haze Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:34 pm
sparq wrote:yo Blue, remember a conversation we had a while ago. it's finally here.......

Yep it is here finally. I remember you talking about it almost two yrs back if I remember correctly. 8)

By locotesmjr Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:26 pm
I don't know but what you think about the new akai products?
I mean look at the MPC 2000XL, 3000, 4000, when i see those pieces i think :o "wowww..." especially with the 4k, you know? you see that machine and it's "the machine", but look at the 5k, looks like plastic cheap crap... i never saw any 5k personally but its like i think looking at the web page... akai are making some new shit only cuz they want the money...
what you think? :?:

By OJ Reem Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:18 pm
So if you are saying wow to the MPC 2000XL why would you not say the same for the MPC 2500? It is build better than the 2000XL and I assume that the MPC 5000 will be the same.

By locotesmjr Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:20 pm
OJ Reem wrote:So if you are saying wow to the MPC 2000XL why would you not say the same for the MPC 2500? It is build better than the 2000XL and I assume that the MPC 5000 will be the same.

I'm just talking about how i feel when i see the new mpc's, but specifically about 5k, i said before i never saw personally but looks like plastic shit...
i mean i'm talking about how case looks...
but it's only my opinion for you can be a great piece, I still loving 4k...
have a great weekend to everybody...

:D