MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By orgo Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:35 pm
sensei wrote:
jellyjim wrote:keygroup support to come, probably

co-sign.

My bet is they held off on putting all the features in on the first release to avoid the same buggy problems they had with the 4000.

The programmers are probably working on keygroups and much more funtionality but want to get everything working 100% before updating with these features.

On a good note the 5000 is fully multi-timbral.

I am not so shure. The 5000 is clearly a os offspring of the 1000/2500. All the keygroup and looping features of the 4000/z/s samplers are based on a quit different os setup. I am not shure if they will take the time to recode all this. Multi Sampling has very much moved away from hardware boxes. Kontakt, EXS and Sampletnak rule this world now...

By sensei Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:18 pm
JJ has implemented Keygroups on his 1000 OS. I really don't think it is a huge leap in programming to implement it on the 5000.

If need be they can just "jack" JJ's code.

Give a little, take a little.

By jellyjim Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:34 am
orgo wrote:I am not so shure. The 5000 is clearly a os offspring of the 1000/2500..

it isn't, different personnel involved in it's dev, different hardware

has much in common with 3000 os i'm told

By Gruik Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:32 pm
Well, that's not important.

By orgo Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:21 pm
"has much in common with 3000 os i'm told"

sorry, but did you ever use a mpc 3000 ? maybee it was supposed to be called "3500" but that's about it!

By jellyjim Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:00 pm
orgo wrote:"has much in common with 3000 os i'm told"

sorry, but did you ever use a mpc 3000 ? maybee it was supposed to be called "3500" but that's about it!

nope, but i did qualify it by saying thats' what i had been told not that's what i knew as fact, and i was told by somebody who would know the 3k

but yeah sure it may be bull

By BIG LARRY Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:05 am
LvngDead wrote:Besides keygroups (which the RS7000 and MV8000 can do, both of which I have), what sample editing features would I miss out on if I bought the 5000 instead of the 4000?

The RS is horrible for hip-hop. What type of music do you do? Where would you rate it among your other boxes you have or did have?
Just curious because it never gets talked about much.
It had features. It was just so slow & the pads were unplayable imo.
The work flow of JJOS is so much better.
In the RS its like hit chop on a sample & go do your laundry cause you got time!!

On a side note the 5G now at least has a track mixer which has been a concept since recording music has been a concept. Adjusting velocity isn't the same & adjusting each pad sucks. If a hit is too loud I'll change it. Give me that in JJOS. Taking this to the feature request board.

By BIG LARRY Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:12 am
Sorry for the double post, but the analog synth is the weakest attempt I have ever seen at adding onboard sound. WTF? Give a drum machine at least 1 808 kit. I know you'll get sounds on a card, but why do you need an analog synth pre-built in? I'm sure it is nice & I'd love to have it, but they kind of seem to milk the MPC name & skimp on stuff compared to Roland. Drive optional, color screen w/ vga or still black & white. excuse me black & white inverted, hahaha. My thought is the 4 is still champ. Looking forward to pounding on the 5 at Guitar Center though.
By orgo Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:49 pm
[quote="Lampdog" Reading is fundamental.[/quote]

right. but what is your point? doubling the memory does not change the sound architecture.
my point is this:
why are options like: keygroups, akai/emu/roland bank import, multiple loop points, loop crossfade etc... not included in the 5000?

cheers

By LvngDead Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:48 pm
BIG LARRY wrote:
LvngDead wrote:Besides keygroups (which the RS7000 and MV8000 can do, both of which I have), what sample editing features would I miss out on if I bought the 5000 instead of the 4000?

The RS is horrible for hip-hop. What type of music do you do? Where would you rate it among your other boxes you have or did have?
Just curious because it never gets talked about much.
It had features. It was just so slow & the pads were unplayable imo.
The work flow of JJOS is so much better.
In the RS its like hit chop on a sample & go do your laundry cause you got time!!

On a side note the 5G now at least has a track mixer which has been a concept since recording music has been a concept. Adjusting velocity isn't the same & adjusting each pad sucks. If a hit is too loud I'll change it. Give me that in JJOS. Taking this to the feature request board.

I think the RS shits on every MPC ever made besides that 4000. I don't use any of its chop features, but everything else is super fast and super smooth. I got a buncha different drum machines too, so if I ever needed to chop something, I'd just use the MV-8000. I just love that RS man, they need to release a successor.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:51 am
orgo wrote:why are options like: keygroups, akai/emu/roland bank import, multiple loop points, loop crossfade etc... not included in the 5000?

My point was that you started the thread "why is it just a f###in "phrase sampler" And the page says "drum/phrase" sampler...

Also your absolutely right, seems like they are taking steps backwards and not building on the excellent 4k. Would have been
SO much better to know that they would take the 4k to a much higher level you know what I'm saying.

I agree, why didn't they do that.....

By orgo Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:05 am
Sometimes I want my asr 10 back. Should have kept it like you did....
crazy how in many ways samplers were more advanced in the early 90's compared to now.... :roll:

By Lampdog Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:33 am
I'll never sell it. Early 90's gear had "that" audio coloring that people seem to adore so much.

Like a cherried out '64 impala, just something about it...