MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By orgo Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:38 pm
I see alot of improvements in the 5000 os. The filters and Effects seem to have gotten some major improvements.
but what i don't gett is why they droped all of the advanced sample editing/programm functions that were in the mpc 4000. I talk about loop point crossing modes, various loop modes (even jj os 1 can do this), multiple loop points, akai sample format imort (god damn it's their own format!), non destructive chopping... etc....
why just a phrase sampler and not a full sampler? I thought that this is their atempt to go for a all in one machine.... or do they give up against kontakt, exs and the other softsamplers....
I don't know... , Synth, Harddiskrecorder, Why not a include freaking sampler that can read multi sample programms? This would have made the package complete for me....
But well, I guess Akai gave up on this years ago when they droped the 2500.... :cry:
By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 am
orgo wrote:I see alot of improvements in the 5000 os. The filters and Effects seem to have gotten some major improvements.
but what i don't gett is why they droped all of the advanced sample editing/programm functions that were in the mpc 4000. I talk about loop point crossing modes, various loop modes (even jj os 1 can do this), multiple loop points, akai sample format imort (god damn it's their own format!), non destructive chopping... etc....
why just a phrase sampler and not a full sampler? I thought that this is their atempt to go for a all in one machine.... or do they give up against kontakt, exs and the other softsamplers....
I don't know... , Synth, Harddiskrecorder, Why not a include freaking sampler that can read multi sample programms? This would have made the package complete for me....
But well, I guess Akai gave up on this years ago when they droped the 2500.... :cry:

But you use an MPC 1000 right? Multi-sample programs was not a feature of that machine.
By master-ceo Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:18 am
orgo wrote:but what i don't gett is why they droped all of the advanced sample editing/programm functions that were in the mpc 4000.

Because there coming out with an MPC 10000 this summer. :roll:
By orgo Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 am
[/quote]
But you use an MPC 1000 right? Multi-sample programs was not a feature of that machine.[/quote]

right, and still is not. that's why I am so disapointed about the new thing. At the point where it was clear that the mpc 4000 was a devastating flop, some big head at akai must have said: "okay, from now on we are going to focus on the phrase/dj/sample chopping maket." Okay maybee this saved their but from bankrupcy but on the way a huge amout of product knowledge gott lost. Basicaly all the things that made up the akais from s900 to z8...

I Guess there is hope for future os improvements...
I just think it would just make so much sense to have akai/emu import for "the most advanced mpc ever"... (someone from akai listening? :wink: )
By OJ Reem Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:24 am
But you use an MPC 1000 right? Multi-sample programs was not a feature of that machine.
orgo wrote:
right, and still is not. that's why I am so disapointed about the new thing. At the point where it was clear that the mpc 4000 was a devastating flop, some big head at akai must have said: "okay, from now on we are going to focus on the phrase/dj/sample chopping maket." Okay maybee this saved their but from bankrupcy but on the way a huge amout of product knowledge gott lost. Basicaly all the things that made up the akais from s900 to z8...

I Guess there is hope for future os improvements...
I just think it would just make so much sense to have akai/emu import for "the most advanced mpc ever"... (someone from akai listening? :wink: )

According the MPC 1000 JJ Forum, you do have multi-sample/instrument program support. This isn't true?
Last edited by OJ Reem on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By LvngDead Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:02 pm
Besides keygroups (which the RS7000 and MV8000 can do, both of which I have), what sample editing features would I miss out on if I bought the 5000 instead of the 4000?

By orgo Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:48 am
at oj ream:

yes in jj os theres is multi sample support. there is just no good way to convert sample librarys to the jj os system. the point really is though to load akai/emu even kontakt or exs librarys to the mpc. This really only works on the 4000 because it has a dedicated multi sample os.

at living dead:

I am not very familiar with the yamaha and roland machines. But I am shure the mv has all the features you need.

By dtaa pla muk Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 pm
there is just no good way to convert sample librarys to the jj os system.

besides, you know...manually. building old-style programs w/out GPE is slower than building INST programs by hand. but yeah compatibility w/ multisample program format is always an issue. too many "standards"

http://nymantics.com/instprograms.zip

By NguoiDuc Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:38 pm
To import sample libraries I bought an AKAI S5000 2nd hand. It's cheap to get one and easy to use, has a nice big screen also. And for all those 24/96k heads, you can get z8 samplers relatively cheap now, too!

That's for multi's!

Okay, this way, you again don't have an all-in-one solution. But I consider the MPC 5000 as being a drum sampler in in-built sequencer which absolutely fits my needs!

I think all the others should stay with the 4000 or get one 2nd hand! You don't need the latest gear to make good music! :roll:
By 9Etherian Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:40 pm
master-ceo wrote:
orgo wrote:but what i don't gett is why they droped all of the advanced sample editing/programm functions that were in the mpc 4000.

Because there coming out with an MPC 10000 this summer. :roll:

I doubt there will be another MPC anytime soon. Notice Akai calls the 5000 it's "flagship MPC". Instead, I suspect the Akai/Alesis team will refine the Digital Audio Workstation concept and release the equivalent of an "Alesis Fusion mkII". Well...at least I'm hoping they will. :D

By jellyjim Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:43 am
keygroup support to come, probably

By sensei Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:44 am
jellyjim wrote:keygroup support to come, probably

co-sign.

My bet is they held off on putting all the features in on the first release to avoid the same buggy problems they had with the 4000.

The programmers are probably working on keygroups and much more funtionality but want to get everything working 100% before updating with these features.

On a good note the 5000 is fully multi-timbral.

By jellyjim Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:59 am
sensei wrote:
jellyjim wrote:keygroup support to come, probably

co-sign.

My bet is they held off on putting all the features in on the first release to avoid the same buggy problems they had with the 4000.

The programmers are probably working on keygroups and much more funtionality but want to get everything working 100% before updating with these features.

On a good note the 5000 is fully multi-timbral.

That's a sure sign of full sampler functionality to come surely?