MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By k1 Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:07 pm
dabmeister wrote:
k1 wrote:
dabmeister wrote:I see talent falls into many forms around here. Everything except for what this site is catered to. :roll:

hehe...you're a funny mf! ;)
how about that battle btw? you game?
Now why are you jumping into my sh!t slim? What is a useless battle going to prove here? I just made a statement based on my opinion on something and u trip out on me? To me that's funny. :D

Relax man, it was only a joke ;)

By Gruik Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:34 pm

By moyphee Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:28 pm
You can always tell when a fanboy is Googling , paraphrasing , and plagiarizing.
That shoddy RDAC compression is applied on all their VS recorder machines and synth/sampling products. I know I own them all.

By crossfade Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:41 pm
Akai Suks
The only reason that I still have my 1000 is because of JJ OS
And if it wasn't for this forum and those of you here helping everyone out with certain issues with these machines, My 1000 would have been still tossed in the basement collecting dust.
But let me tell you that these stupid fing akai reps should please get tf off this site please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can you dare even call the 5000 the new flagship?
You would have been better off calling it the mpc 3500, A step up from the 2500. But instead you decided to piss everyone off and calling it your flagship mpc.......So let see you added only 64 mb of ram, a slightly larger display (but still not color) a 8 track recorder that jj already gave us for the 1000.
Wow your team of engineers are awesome foreal.
What a bunch of losers.
Were in 2008 and this is what Akai has to offer. What??????????
Are you serious????????????All I can say is WOWOWOWOWOWOW
Let me stick with my mpc 1000 and ASRX and Protools, THATS ALL I NEED.

WOW

By crossfade Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:50 pm
Can I add something, You know I am an idiot also,
Every year I wait to see- Is this the year akai is gonna wake up and do something special. 2005 NO-
2006 NO- 2007 NO- 2008 NO
You know what, No more waiting, I think that all of us feel the same way, and that we hope that they will wake up someday and give us something special, But that will never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FUK akai

By k1 Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:52 pm
wow, that's a lot of hate...

By foleycore Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:38 am
but in a way he has a point, because i feel just as strongly as him about the state of hardware in the 21st century.
we've all been patiently waiting and waiting and waiting for friggin years and you would have thought that things would have evolved by now to a very high level of performance and features with no compromise.
But these companies are still pennypinching something shocking and giving us the least amount possible for the highest amount of profit.
This mpc5000 is gonna retail here in Australia for $4,500, now thats a lot of cash for a groove box.
The only reason i'm going with the 5000 is because its the best of a bad bunch. I mean, where is its multisampling?? did they have to take a step backwards from the 4000! it should have had 128 notes of polyphony minimum, it should have offered 20 bit 48khz and 24bit 96khz recording options for the hardisk and the compactflash should have been capable of accepting bigger than 2gig memory cards, and for Gods sake the sample memory should have been expandable to 1gig!and in all honesty yamaha and roland are now offering around 20 simultaneous effects.
So why the hell hasn't some company like Alesis or Akai decided to thrash the hell out of the others and give us the ultimate solution??? IT IS WAY OVER DUE!!! :roll:
By crossfade Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:39 am
You know what's funny, a while ago I made a statement on this forum about how in the hell can a company like ensoniq could have been so far advanced as far as sampling. Think about it....ASR-10 16 megs of ram in 1992. ASRX PRO 64 mb 1997.(akai 2500 128mb 2007) I can sample more with 16 mb of ram in a asr10 than with 128 mb on an mpc2500. Now those who don't know are prolly saying -no fing way-what is this dude talking about, but those who have worked with an ensoniq product understand what i'm talking about.........You can copy a sample lets say maybe 3 minutes long as many times as you want, and it doesn't use up any sample time....Fill the the whole keyboard up if you want.(61 keys)
Each key can play at different start points different filters dif pitches diferent end points also each key can have its own effect of different type,
wow technology in 1992....WHAT YEAR ARE WE IN NOW AKAI???????2008??????? oh my god ASDR in the new 5000 wow what technology akai?????Ensoniq had it in 1992.....How many years ago was that?????
Wow new fx in the 5000 WOWOWOWOW
ASR-10 62 different efx and editable-And oh did I mention vocoding on a ASR-10 back in 92' and disk recording( grant it was only 2 track) but we are talking about 1992. I would have loved for ensoniq to have still been around to see what they would have done at the 2008 NAMM show.....
I'll tell you what, I'll buy a 5000 or 3500 what ever you want to call it, if and ony if they decide to sell it for $999 then I'll sell my 1000 and put the 3500 in it's place right next to my main piece the ASRX..........
How do you like that AKAI REPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By moyphee Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:48 am
Everything you named takes CPU power to implement. Numark will never invest the equivalent of the Intel StrongArm CPU like the 4000. There are about moving units and getting every bit of cash out of the Akai brand before it dissolves. Numark is not into legacies they're into profits and that's it.

I do understand why they got this thing to market when they did. With pad controllers, software, competition from Roland , and Linn/Smith getting back into the fray - Akai has to establish the 3500/5000 right now.

Can you imagine releasing the 5000 after a counter from Roland, a stepped up 4x4 pad from Korg, a drum/synth from Linn Smith, and another software opition that surpasse the MPC? They would get lost in the snowstorm. By releases when the competition isn't attacking they have a chance to capture back some market share.

i would wait

If they had called it the 3500 as planned, the expectations wouldn't be nearly as high and fewer potential users would be disappointed.

By sensei Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:33 am
It is what it is. 5000 is just a name.

I think with the progression of computers maybe people expect AKAI to accelerate at the same rate but that just isn't possible.

The thing that always gets me is that people come to these forums to **** and moan about the AKAI and their MPC's but if it wasn't for their MPC's no one would be here.

If someone dropped an MPC5000 in my lap I would be the happiest MOFO you could imagine. Not one single person here has spent a second of time with the thing, yet so many are ready to p.ss all over it.

One thing about life is that you don't always get what you want. Another thing about life is that the limitations and nuances often contain the power. A persons will has far more power than people imagine.

Think about Django Reinhardt for example. The guy almost lost two of his fretting fingers in a serious fire at the age of 18 but went on to become one of the best Jazz guitarists in history and was an influence on Jazz guitar maybe more so than any other and he was bassically using 2 fingers to fret notes.

Who cares if AKAI calls it a their flagship. It is just a word. The advances are in the little things. I was skeptical at first but I think this 5000 is great and I can't wait to trial the synth. Phono input, standard 8 ADAT outs, advanced FX, Direct to disc recording, built in synth that sounds more than decent. It has heaps of things that make it great.

Back when I got my 2000xl I got a deal for about $1400 new. I had to add more RAM, 8 outs, FX, internal ZIP and then FLASH CARD Reader and I did it on the cheap but for the price I paid for everything I could probably get a 5000. That alone is awesome. Peace.

By crossfade Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:25 am
I hear you SenSei, but then why is akai charging so much for old technology? Why do they think that we are that stupid in believing that they came up with something great, when it's still years behind other products out there?
Why can't they just fix ther're other problems before giving up and making us users go elsewhere to let's say JJ os to resolve issues with the OS that akai puts out?
Again charge less.....
You know what any new producer could do with $2500 (in the US)
20inch Imac $1199
Logic studio $499
midi controller $99
total $1800.00

You see I say new producer because I grew up on hardware so it is still difficult for me to fully make the transition completely over to software....
It's like todays DJ's- they don't really know what it's like to really be a DJ.
(Bare with me I know I'm kinda going off topic here but hear me out)
I started out DJing when I was younger and doing clubs and parties and college parties carrying 5 or 6 crates of records.....What do dj's today bring? Either a car case of cd's or ever an Ipod...Thats it....No feel of really touching the record....So it's the same for the producer's stand point. Today mofo's think that all they need is fruity loops or Reason and that's it.....And for some they can do very well just like that....They do have pretty much all the tools they need to get the job done.....But for us hardware users, we need more of feeling and that's why we stick to the asr's and the mp's.
Do you really think that it cost so much money to put couple of extra features on the 5000? They sure charge us enough for these units.
Have you seen how much ram costs these days or how much lcd screens.
How much happier would anyone had been if they put a 8inch touch screen? and a vga option, how about 24 track recording, fuk 1gig, what about 2gig of expandable ram? An OS without glitches, An OS that they plan on supporting more than just past 1.03, I can go on and on and on......Come on please!!!!!!

By kday Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:52 am
moyphee wrote:You can always tell when a fanboy is Googling , paraphrasing , and plagiarizing.

You're talking loud and ain't saying nothing. We think you made your points you're sad, bitter, displaying your silly emotions because your feelings are hurt because the machine is called the 5000. We know you're mad Akai didn't name the machine the way you thought it should be named. I agree I would have probably named the machine something other than the 5000 myself but we know you think Akai can't make another machine without including every single feature of all the previous models plus the flagship. We know your life sucks otherwise you wouldn't be here sucking right? We get the picture. Why not just take a hike and ride off into the sunset or to another thread where they might want to hear your crys and see your tears? The machine is made and probably near ready to be sold & there is nothing we can do but sit back & watch while others enjoy it. I would say if your not gonna buy it don't even waste too much breath talking about it. Just go where you're happy so you can be happy. There are no Akai reps here on this thread If there were they'd laugh in your faces then to hear why your life sucks in relation to a MPC5000. No need to cry your tears in anger here. Try going to Akai directly for that.

I Thank God Akai is still making sampling machines regardless of what they come out with because the keyboard versions from the big three all suck. The ensoniq ASR was the greatest sampling keyboard workstation ever and if Akai doesn't give us something similar there'll never be another.

By kday Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:36 am
crossfade wrote:I hear you SenSei, but then why is akai charging so much for old technology? Why do they think that we are that stupid in believing that they came up with something great, when it's still years behind other products out there?

I don't think the unit was made to compete with keyboard synths. Just a new kind of MPC beatbox. They have to start somewhere It wouldn't be wise and no company would just come out with the massive MPC6000 styled concept for $5500. Before the MPC2000 came out the MPC60 was listing for nearly $7,000 dollars fully blown if I could remember.

I don't know but personally I think this MPC5000 unit seems like a very cool idea. They added some really cool features and allowed the price to be kept in check. If they would have added all the MPC5000 features to a standard sized MPC4000 frame and all of it's features too hardly anybody here would want to pay what it would cost to make the unit. I for one wouldn't be able to afford it.

I think it was a great thing that Akai made this type of unit first for those on a tight budget. And if a 6000 hits the market then those with big wallets will get their chance to give their arm and a leg to afford the very best too.

I don't think adding a 24 voice 3 OSC VA synth to an MPC is "old technology"

And I don't think adding an Arpeggiator with multiple Arps to an MPC is "old technology" I think that seems more like new technology.

An 8-Trk HD recorder to an MPC is sorta new technology. I can agree with some peoples frustrations about certain things about the unit but the assets quickly overshadow them all.

I think Akai made their best economic decision to make the unit like it is. I don't think people are yet ready to pay more than the MPC4000 for a few more upgraded features on this 5000 model.

By Gruik Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:35 am

Just keep in mind the new baby simply doesn't play in the same category.

By Cheebatone Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:43 am
sensei wrote:Think about Django Reinhardt for example. The guy almost lost two of his fretting fingers in a serious fire at the age of 18 but went on to become one of the best Jazz guitarists in history and was an influence on Jazz guitar maybe more so than any other and he was bassically using 2 fingers to fret notes.

Yes!

Nobody bitched about his beat-to-death Macafari being only 6-note polyphonic and mono-timbral either ...because it's the MUSIC that counts!