MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By scd Tue May 20, 2008 7:43 pm
LvngDead wrote:^^I'm pretty sure this scd cat is never coming back. Shame, he was the only good beta tester we had.

Sometimes, a man gotta paint his house.... Unlucky me, I was that man for the last few weeks :mrgreen:

manneokoko: mine and you knob behaviour suggestions are entered into the feature request list.
Unfortunately I have lost all synth examples from my internet server so I can not share those anymore :(
By mp3 Tue May 20, 2008 9:11 pm
scd wrote: the feature request list.

Here are a few more:

1. More q-link paramter control (would be especially helpful in the sample program editor, or when editing 'windowed' parameters like timing correct settings, or setting start/end points in trim mode). There are just too many knobs, buttons and sliders sitting there doing nothing while you cursor and datawheel yourself to death...

2. Auto-preview while browsing the hard drive, so you don't have to click F5 over and over.

3. Main screen -> Trim mode - When Switching to Trim Mode from the Main Screen, Trim mode should display either the last played sample, or the sample assigned to the last played pad.

3a. Also, an option to switch pad behavior in Trim mode: You could either have it the way it currently is (where you preview the sample being edited across all pads) or set it up so that you are playing the current program. That way, you could 1. select the sample you want to edit by tapping the pad, and 2. hear your edits as they will sound in the program.

4. 1dB increments for the Filter Attenuation. 6dB steps are too coarse.

5. In addition to threshold sampling, add the option to manually start sampling.

By the way SCD, I demoed some of your synth programs last night at my local Guitar Center. Very nice!
By Askia Shaheed Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 pm
mp3 wrote:
5. In addition to threshold sampling, add the option to manually start sampling.

Manually start sampling is available unless I am misunderstanding your statement.
By HoaxOne Tue May 20, 2008 11:52 pm
manneokoko wrote:Hello.

Ive never worked with a MPC but am now considering the 5000. My question is how fast it is to work with. Is it possible to jump in and out of diffrent rec modes (grid, stepedit, realtime etc) while the sequencer is still running? I hate it on the roland boxes where you have to stop before you can enter record mode. And what about other aspects of the machine, can i have the sequencer running at all time or do i have to stop it alot (when editing samples, setting upp pads etc. etc.)? Does it save/load fast, are the menus fast (some machines you have to wait a second or two when shifting pages which kills "the flow" of work)?.
What im looking for is a machine that is as fast as the electribe's but with more features.

You can sample, trim a sample, undo sample edit, grid/step edit, audition samples off the drives and load to pads all while the sequence is still running.
By mp3 Wed May 21, 2008 1:49 pm
Askia Shaheed wrote:
mp3 wrote:

Manually start sampling is available unless I am misunderstanding your statement.

Well kinda, I wasn't quite clear in what I was asking for. You still gotta go into record ready mode, which means it might still trigger based on threshold (even if you set the threshold to zero - for example if the LP that you're sampling has static then a pop might start the recording). I understand that if you hit F6 twice, you could basically go straight to manual sampling, but if the audio is over the threshold when you press f6 the first time, then the second press of f6 would be a Stop recording command.

What I'm asking for basically, is to move the [F6 Start] button into the record setup screen. So the function buttons would be [F5 Start] to start sampling instantly, and [F6 Record] to go into trigger mode.

I never use threshold sampling, although I understand some people do...
By Blue Haze Wed May 21, 2008 1:53 pm
scd wrote:
LvngDead wrote:^^I'm pretty sure this scd cat is never coming back. Shame, he was the only good beta tester we had.

Sometimes, a man gotta paint his house.... Unlucky me, I was that man for the last few weeks :mrgreen:

manneokoko: mine and you knob behaviour suggestions are entered into the feature request list.
Unfortunately I have lost all synth examples from my internet server so I can not share those anymore :(

Good to see you back scd. how is that buglist going??? And did you know that MUSICII cat???
By Cheebatone Fri May 23, 2008 10:25 am
I have another question...

IIRC, the HD can only record two tracks at a time. If that's right, can I send signals (via the indiviual out's) to a mixer for additional processing and then back to the 5k (via the main in's) and record to the hard disc, or can the HD recording facility only be used directly/internally?

Thanks again.
By scd Fri May 23, 2008 10:29 am
Cheebatone wrote:I have another question...

IIRC, the HD can only record two tracks at a time. If that's right, can I send signals (via the indiviual out's) to a mixer for additional processing and then back to the 5k (via the main in's) and record to the hard disc, or can the HD recording facility only be used directly/internally?

Thanks again.

You can do what you are asking for.
By renegadebliss Fri May 23, 2008 4:49 pm
Boele,
Any chance on getting Akai to put Q-Link Sequence on the 5000 series? I literally use it in EVERY sequence that I do on the
MPC 4000. It's like having 6 built in Step Sequencers available to control most program parameters, FX parameters (crucial!!!!!!!!)
and even External Instruments parameters. I would think with the added Q-Link controls on the 5000, that this feature would just
make it that much more desirable. I have external step sequencers available (MAQ, Mobius, & P3) but there's nothing like having
it built in, and able to be saved with the track. As well, as you have more parameters available internally (such as FX!!!!!!!!).
Of course the 4000 saves it's Q-Link Sequence info in the Multi and for some odd reason
Akai chose not to implement the Multi on their new flagship product, but I'm sure that could be worked around.

I couldn't use this formula on the MPC 5000 very well.

Take any Sample Stab ----> FIlter ----> Multi Tap Delay ----> Reverb
and then use Q-Link Sequence to Modulate the Filter, Multi Tap Delay, & Reverb independantly
and you have instant Basic Channel/Maurizio

It's the last part the Q-Link Sequence which is most important...

Just checking... Also, if they do implement it, you might suggest that for step sequence speed/ step length parameter
be expanded. So not just 1/4, 1/8, 1/16,1/32, or 1/64 step length but also 1 bar, 2 bar , 3 bar , 4 bar as well as 1/2

Thanks,
Dave
By LvngDead Sat May 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Boele, please brother, sequence looping down to the ppqn. I know you entered it in as a request, but what are the chances of it actually happening?