MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

Was making the MPC5000 16bit a wise move

72%
28%
By formantuk Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:49 pm
am interested to see how people vote on whether they think the MPC 5000
should have been 24bit. or 16bit
I've kept the choice as yes or no to get a concise outcome. no grey area.

oh yeah - and please state why you think so in this thread

By formantuk Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:01 pm
my opinion: is that it was a mistake - i was expecting a machine of higher quality audio that could also play 16bit for backwards compatibility.
most computer programs are now 24bit - and would think in a couple of years will go over to 32bit.
so what's going on the MPC4000 and plus is 24bit - why are AKAI releasing a flagship MPC with a lower bit rate?
Last edited by formantuk on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

By 7 1 4 Beats Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:19 pm
formantuk wrote:my opinion: is that it was a mistake - i was expecting a machine of higher quality audio that could also play 16bit for backwards compatibility.
most computer programs are now 24bit - and would think in a couple of years will go over to 32bit.
so what's going on the MPC4000 was 24bit - why are AKAI releasing a flagship MPC with a lower bit rate?

MPC4000 is not 24 bit it is backwards compatible!

By dtaa pla muk Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:21 pm
my question is why would anyone believe it's the right move to make it 16 bit...????

By formantuk Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:22 pm
sorry thought it was :mrgreen: - i meant to say MPC4000plus - thanks for correcting me. ???
anyway 7 1 4 Beats what do you think?

also would be interesting to hear from the 2 voters so far as to why they thought it was the right move. as i don't get it.

By ReuBen KinKade Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:55 pm
Whether it should have been 24Bit, or 16Bit.....Idunno, but I do know one thing, if the 5000 operated at 24 Bit/96Khz or even 24Bit/44.1Khz, Akai's sales would have doubled, or even tripled on the pre-orders alone, and I would have been one of them! Of course, this would have required more RAM amongst other things. The 5000 would have been MUCH more attractive based on that one detail alone. Maybe there will be a 5000 Plus. Reub.
By scd Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:04 pm
formantuk wrote:am interested to see how people vote on whether they think the MPC 5000

The 5k is 16 bit/44.1 kHz when sampling and 24 bit/44.1 kHz when HD recording.
By formantuk Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 pm
scd wrote:
formantuk wrote:am interested to see how people vote on whether they think the MPC 5000

The 5k is 16 bit/44.1 kHz when sampling and 24 bit/44.1 kHz when HD recording.

24bit recordings good - no problem- but my source sample would still be 16bit - still no ceegar -

By formantuk Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 pm
7 1 4 Beats wrote:I honestly don't really care but I wouldn't buy a 24 bit/96khz machine that's not backwards compatible.

good point - same here

By formantuk Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:27 pm
woah - this polls neck & neck @ the mo - i can see those votes for the no -
but no word to explain why, what could this mean :shock:

By 7 1 4 Beats Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:47 pm
Most people "Yes Most People Not All People" For all the catz who like to put words in peeps mouth can't even tell the difference between 16 bit/24 bit so I think it doesn't matter.

By formantuk Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:55 pm
maybe your right - just wanted to see how people would vote... but am genuinely interested in why they voted no - guess you can't force people to explain why... no doubt they have valid reasons -

By mkl... Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:36 pm
hello,

i haven't submitted my vote...
i personnaly think that i can't really hear the difference between 24 bit or 16 bit...and it won't change my music.
furthermore my home studio isn't acoustically perfect so i can't hear the difference
(i do own really good speakers (jm lab opal 8)
actually all mys sounds banks are in 16 bits 44100 and i would hate to convert them to import them to win what...not a really meanning thing to me...
i would prefer really good effects (like a partnership with waves plugins or else (like the tascam dm 24 with antares / tc...)
have you tried a blind test to see which resolution you prefer?if you prefer one...

By formantuk Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:32 am
hi mkl - at the moment i use cubase at 24bit 44.1 - for my audio recordings - and monitor through PMC LB1's , i used to use soundscape SHDDR1+ which is a 16bit system and 16bit logic audio. i've noticed a big improvement using 24bit 44.1 especially with plugin effects in cubase - i'm using the emu 1616m out to my mixer.
i'm thinking of going over to kontact for my main sampling - as i feel the MPC5000 is only half way there - i just think there's so many things missing connection wise also - like no adat light pipe input. so you can only record two tracks - at least the HD recorder is 24bit.
currently i'm using an MPC1000 with jj OS2 which i love - i intend to hold on to the 1000 for a long time. as it so powerful and portable.
i was hoping the 5000 would offer a way, away from computers and give me a hardware option. i'm sure many other feel the same hence the topic of the thread. i wonder how many others thought this would be a bigger leap forward than just the small hop it turned out to be.