MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Midwestbang Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:15 am
Ok now I got a decision to make and I want you to answer from my perspective not yours there’s too much war over this mp 5000 so let’s keep it clean and answer as if u were n my shoes.

Ok here’s the run down................

So I am thinking about upgrading to the mpc 5000 tell me if you think its worth it and why, Now I no that the mpc 2500 is very similar to the mpc 5000 spec wise but its some features on the 5000 that I really like and I think I could use let me no if im wrong. Now my mpc 2500 is damn nere brand spanken new I only had it for about a year it has maxed ram and a 120gig hard drive with no scratches what so ever anywhere now I do love it AOT and I’ve made some tight tracks with it but I like to keep up to date with my gear and I no I could sell it for a lot, also I don't sample into my mp and won't b sampling into it EVER I use my daw’s for that.

I just sequence with my mp and use it for laying drums, I midi everything to the mp and run protools that way, so I could careless about all the sample stuff that the 5000 lacks. I hear with the new mpc 5000 I can sequence a beat and export/save the entire project/track the beat out ALL INSIDE OF THE MP JUST LIKE I WOULD IN PRO TOOLS!!!!!!!!! now that may not be big for some of you but that’s HUGH for me cuz i could do a track at a friends studio then just take the entire thing back home ALL IN MY MP and just track it out on my own time inside my protools at home, now if that’s possible I WOULD BE IN LOVE SH!T I WOULD BE SOLD that’s a Hugh plus. Another thing is i hear that the sequencer is much better and tighter as well as the sounds hit harder, now all these new things are Great for me including the screen size and many other new features they have.

But my screen size of my 2500 isn’t that bad, also I’d have to load all my sounds over again into the new mp and I’d have to replace all of my programs which would b a pain in the ass. I’m sure i could get my mp off for at least $2000 maybe even $2200 with it being fully expanded and brand new, so do you think that the mpc 5000 is worth that extra $500 or $300 I’d have to pay? or due you think i should stick it out with my 2500 let me no what cha think and why, I really wanna no so I can get this whole thing figured out im in it for the work flow and better sound quality im sure this whole 16/24bit war doesn’t apply too me but if it does let me no how THANKS A lot in advance …………………………….

www.myspace.com/midwestbang

By kday Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:56 am
This question here is a no brainer.

Aside from those things you listed you also gain a HUGH creative boost with the MPC5000.

For those looking for that creative edge you also would get....

1. 20 Voice 3 OSC synthesizer
You can do major damage with that as far as new original sounds.
You can also sequence 20 live new synth lines whether bass, synth or FX
Resample the synthesizer and re-trigger them on different pads etc.

2. 24bit HD 8track Recorder
You can do 8-tracks of vocal damage over live beats
Remix the 8-tracks create instant songs then press to DVD

3. Arp Generator
With the built in ARP generator you can arpeggiate guitar notes or guitar loops or other sound loops into something never heard before.
Seems way cool to have all this in an MPC unit though.

For the constant beat creator it seems to now pack a lot of arsenal.

I'm sure there are other things that may be more important to you but that's a whole lot of added stuff for an MPC series that never had those functions.

By kebzer Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:05 am
Yeah, great thing to upgrade to the 5000. I mean, why the **** are you thinking it anyway man? The 5k is killing the 25k in every single aspect. However, the 5k IS NOT OUT YET YOU MORON, SO STOP ASKING THINGS ON A PURELY THEORETICAL BASIS.

Jesus, I am sorry for that, but I got fed up by people acting in this section as the 5k is already out a year or so. Please, let the poor machine out first and then you can talk all day about it.

By Gruik Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:23 am
The first post looks like a wakai fake. But maybe I'm wrong!? :P

That being said, I know a better "all in one" solution.

By k1 Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 pm
Gruik wrote:The first post looks like a wakai fake. But maybe I'm wrong!? :P

That being said, I know a better "all in one" solution.

D*mn, do you really think every slightly positive post about the MPC5000 have to be mdde by an Akai employee??

By moyphee Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:29 pm
24bit HD 8track Recorder

The HD track are native 16bit and are repackaged as 24bit. This is something every decent DAW does automatically on import. Same letter larger envelope.
True 24bit depth is impossible because the vehicle to the HD is a 16bit sample engine.

I thought CDM25 burned CDs and only read DVDs.

By k1 Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:47 pm
moyphee wrote:I thought CDM25 burned CDs and only read DVDs.

You are correct! It's only a DVD-ROM player with CD-R/RW burning capabilities.
(Unless they have actually changed the CD-M25 for the MPC5000 that is...which I doubt)

By kday Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 pm
moyphee wrote:
24bit HD 8track Recorder

The HD track are native 16bit and are repackaged as 24bit. This is something every decent DAW does automatically on import. Same letter larger envelope.
True 24bit depth is impossible because the vehicle to the HD is a 16bit sample engine.

I thought CDM25 burned CDs and only read DVDs.

Actually I meant to say press to CD as I'm sure consumers aren't able to playback DVD audio yet in CD players yet. And you're right I believe the unit was noted as having 24bit analog to digital converters and recording at the standard 16bit mode. The 4000 will record at 24bits & 16bits. Me personally If I had to choose one sample rate over the other I would always choose 16bit as it produces a more apparent dynamic sound in several comparison test I and others performed. 24bit decreased many sound elements to extremely lower levels so I would never use 24bit for recording personally.