MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Prak Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 pm
i just viewed the demo on the akai site and was impressed with the upgrades from the 2500, but i would like to know the note number capacity? can anyone enlighten me on it? thanks

By selecta jo Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 pm
what do you want to know? the number of midi notes the mpc can adress? i guess it is from 0-127 like always.
or do you want to know the capacity of the sequencer? this is 100.000 notes like the mpc1k and the 2500. and this number is probably the reason why it is only printed in the manual and not on the product page or in the product overview pdf... :wink:

peace jo

By moyphee Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 pm
100,000 notes with 64 voice polyphony.

By freezerman Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:53 am
seems a joke as usual. Why can the JJOS give 300.000 notes capability to the 1000 and Akai can only release an expensive MPC like the 5000 with such limited note capability?
I think 100.000 notes is ridiculous when you have 960 ppqn resolution, just imagine how many MIDI events will be generated by a simple filter sweep over a few bars!

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:24 pm
freezerman wrote:seems a joke as usual. Why can the JJOS give 300.000 notes capability to the 1000 and Akai can only release an expensive MPC like the 5000 with such limited note capability?
I think 100.000 notes is ridiculous when you have 960 ppqn resolution, just imagine how many MIDI events will be generated by a simple filter sweep over a few bars!

Akai can increase the "note capability" of the MPC 5000 if they choose to...

By dabmeister Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:49 pm
OJ Reem wrote:
freezerman wrote:seems a joke as usual. Why can the JJOS give 300.000 notes capability to the 1000 and Akai can only release an expensive MPC like the 5000 with such limited note capability?

It's in the math. If they do, they'll have to "rob" resources from somewhere else. It's not like they can magically just do it and say "ok, we need to up the note capacity now" without some repercussion from somewhere else. Come on mayne, I know better, I use to work as a tech on motorola wireless products. Feed the bs to those that don't know any better.

By scd Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Did you actually ever heard anyone complain about running out of midi events? Or did that happen to you? Just wondering.

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:49 pm
dabmeister wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:

It's in the math. If they do, they'll have to "rob" resources from somewhere else. It's not like they can magically just do it and say "ok, we need to up the note capacity now" without some repercussion from somewhere else. Come on mayne, I know better, I use to work as a tech on motorola wireless products. Feed the bs to those that don't know any better.

Not true. Since the MPC 2000XL when Akai went to a flash rom based operating system, they have always left room to add on and improve these units. They even clarify this further in the manual letting you know that the MPC 5000 will incorporate user feature requests in later operating systems. Every MPC in the last 10 years have had OS updates that have added or improved upon exisiting features.

Remember the MPC 1000 OS Version 1. When Akai released the Version 2 OS, it made the MPC 1000 a completely different machine. The JJ OS took it a step further by add all the features of the 2500 and even more improvements. The same thing happened with the MPC 2500. The MPC 2500/1000 are very different machines today.

By dabmeister Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:09 pm
OJ Reem wrote:
dabmeister wrote:
OJ Reem wrote:

Not true. Since the MPC 2000XL when Akai went to a flash rom based operating system, they have always left room to add on and improve these units. They even clarify this further in the manual letting you know that the MPC 5000 will incorporate user feature requests in later operating systems. Every MPC in the last 10 years have had OS updates that have added or improved upon exisiting features.

Remember the MPC 1000 OS Version 1. When Akai released the Version 2 OS, it made the MPC 1000 a completely different machine. The JJ OS took it a step further by add all the features of the 2500 and even more improvements. The same thing happened with the MPC 2500. The MPC 2500/1000 are very different machines today.
But features and resources are two different entities. Does the manual state there will be future resources added? And does the current JJ OS do anything with increasing the note capacity of the 2500? All I'm saying is unless they upgrade the physical core engine, the unit will only be capable of it's 100,000 note capacity and no future OS upgrades will make any difference in this.

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:24 pm
dabmeister wrote:
But features and resources are two different entities. Does the manual state there will be future resources added? And does the current JJ OS do anything with increasing the note capacity of the 2500? All I'm saying is unless they upgrade the physical core engine, the unit will only be capable of it's 100,000 note capacity and no future OS upgrades will make any difference in this.

Resources? Don't be silly. The resources are already there and will support the additional features just like every MPC ever made.

Yes, the current JJ OS increases the note capacity from 100,000 to 300,000....something that you believe isn't possible with the MPC 5000 due to its limited physical core engine.

Are you starting to make things up as you go along :wink:

By dabmeister Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:43 pm
OJ Reem wrote:
dabmeister wrote:

Resources? Don't be silly. The resources are already there and will support the additional features just like every MPC ever made.

Yes, the current JJ OS increases the note capacity from 100,000 to 300,000....something that you believe isn't possible with the MPC 5000 due to its limited physical core engine.

Are you starting to make things up as you go along :wink:
No, I'm not making anything up, I want to see actual facts, not promises. This hasn't happen with the 5k YET, but from he way you've been putting things you make it seem like it's already a done deal. Bottom line, don't let this machine become a failure (which I hope it doesn't for the sake of Nukai's engineering group members' jobs, 'cause times are hard these days yo), because a lot of us will come down hard on those that've given promptuary praise to something that hasn't been field tested yet. Yes, I'm all for new kid on the block, but to see all the impromptu on something that's based on promises, gets on my nerves...just my .02 worth dawg.

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:02 pm
dabmeister wrote:
No, I'm not making anything up, I want to see actual facts, not promises. This hasn't happen with the 5k YET, but from he way you've been putting things you make it seem like it's already a done deal. Bottom line, don't let this machine become a failure (which I hope it doesn't for the sake of Nukai's engineering group members' jobs, 'cause times are hard these days yo), because a lot of us will come down hard on those that've given promptuary praise to something that hasn't been field tested yet. Yes, I'm all for new kid on the block, but to see all the impromptu on something that's based on promises, gets on my nerves...just my .02 worth dawg.

I wrote that if Akai wants to increase the note capacity..they can like they have done with the previous MPCs whose note capacities were tripled with just an OS update.

You have an MPC 4000 right? It does everything you need it to, I am guessing. Then how can a new MPC get on your nerves? I am sure you have looked up what the MPC 5000 can do. If it doesn't appeal to you, keep your money. I wouldn't buy anything on the promise that it will add features in the future. I buy things based on what it does now. As long as it has its advertised features, I am about to buy a great machine. If it adds features in the future, that is just all gravy. I do not expect Akai to give me anymore than that. I wouldn't be suprised if I had to pay for the OS upgrade. It's a super MPC 2500..how can I be mad at that? I don't care if I was the only person on earth to buy an MPC 5000.

By dabmeister Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:04 pm
Jahrome...I'm sorry, OJ, I understand where you're coming from. It really doesn't matter what features are embeded in a product, it's how well a user uses the product to create a product themselves in the form of music/songs. Of course us producers, musicians, engineers, & etc. get worked up over bells & whistles that something may have, but it doesn't guarantee us a return in how the listener will respond to our product. Like most folks have said around here, the end user or potential buyer of our product could care less about what we're making a big fuss about over such tools and so-forth. If this machine is guaranteed to make you and anybody else millions for that matter, then it's safe to say we can expect more than just folks in this field to be making a purchase of this new product. We can say we'll see certain groups such as quadriplegics, amputees, the blind, or anybody else with a handycap going for the gusto. It may be carrying the tourch for now in terms of features, but that's useless to many that don't really need these things. It's geared more towards the not-so-talented IMO, because anybody that's overwelmed with talent can make anything seem unreal, regardless of features, product or whatever. So I say enjoy it while it lasts because it's got it's window of opportunity at the moment, but until something else comes along and blows it away, then the chase is on to that product (am I right?). So in closing I'll say this..."some will choose to run the wheel like a hampster and some will not". :roll:

By OJ Reem Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:11 pm
^^
That wasn't a good response at all. It was rather silly as was your speculation that Akai will need to replace hardware in order for the MPC 5000 to support more than 100,000 notes in a sequence. In this thread, I just wanted to let you guys know that IF Akai wanted to improve this function, they can.....

dabmeister, I guess it is safe to say that you will spend the next three years in the MPC 5000 forum telling everybody why you hate Akai and the MPC 5000 in spite of no intentions on every buying Akai products. This MPC 5000 is not for you so give it up, why don't cha :P

By freezerman Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:15 pm
scd wrote:

Did you actually ever heard anyone complain about running out of midi events? Or did that happen to you? Just wondering.

yes, it happened all the time with my qy70 sequencer (that only had 30.000 events) and happened once on the MPC1000 when I was loading two projects in RAM to move events from one to the other. I had to load sequences individually to sort it out (that was before JJ OS).

If you do some math you will see that if you use modulation events (CCs or PB or Mod Wheel) a lot it is very easy to reach the 100.000 events figure even with 96 ppqn resolution.
Say your sequence is 90 measures long, say you have one event every 12 ticks (and that's already a long step for modulation purposes), that's roughly 2900 events per track (not counting the notes). Say you have 16 tracks with continous CCs, and that's already 46.000 events...
With 960 ppqn resolution you would expect the unit to generate even smoother controls and thus even more modulation events. With the example above (one event ever 12 ticks) one single track of 90 measures would yield 28800 events.... Would you be happy with only one sequence and three tracks used at once?

Do you use CCs? Or PB? Or mod wheel?
I do.

But I don't care, I have no plans to buy an MPC5000.