MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By scd Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:19 pm
Interesting. I never ran into that on the 4k (not sure what the max events is there), and I used modwheel, cc's and pitchbend as well.

So, in practice it happens, but I also guess it won't happen THAT many times.

By freezerman Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:30 pm
scd wrote:Interesting. I never ran into that on the 4k (not sure what the max events is there), and I used modwheel, cc's and pitchbend as well.

of course, but still, I think that with 300.000 events now available to the 2500 and the 100 (thanks to JJ), akai's policy of realeasing the expensive 5000 with only 100.000 events seem rather strange.

By scd Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:04 pm
freezerman wrote:
scd wrote:Interesting. I never ran into that on the 4k (not sure what the max events is there), and I used modwheel, cc's and pitchbend as well.

of course, but still, I think that with 300.000 events now available to the 2500 and the 100 (thanks to JJ), akai's policy of realeasing the expensive 5000 with only 100.000 events seem rather strange.

Well, maybe they want to use their resources for other stuff and think 100.000 events is enough. Don't know. Will ask about it though.

By McSmooth Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:51 pm
I don't understand this limitation either, but its been there with every MPC after the 4k. The 2k and 4k both had 300,000 notes, so I see no physical limitation the current MPCs couldn't do it... especially if it is in the JJ OSes. I'm not sure what resources people are talking about, all data is stored in RAM, and if the 2k could hold it with 32MB so I'm sure even the 500 could pull it off. I'm not sure if the new MPCs are like this, but the old ones had seperate room for sequence and sample data, so the only "resource" would be that you were losing out on sample room... but thats tiny since all the newer machines can hold 128MB.

I don't see why they didn't keep the number up or even expand it since MPCs are supposed to excel with MIDI, but I do agree that few people would ever hit it. I can only see it happening with a full live set or some insane external MIDI modulation on a track. The majority of MPC users are just triggering samples and notes off their ROMplers, so they will never hit this limt. Synth heads will continue to complain.

By OJ Reem Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 am
The MPC 60, 2000, and 3000 all have 100,000 or less note/event capacity.

The MPC 2000XL has 300,000.

I can't remember exactly but I think these numbers reflect the max you can use with these machines. The per sequence amount may be lower I remember reading somewhere.

But since I have never ran out of sequencer memory...don't really care. If you do...then it sounds like what? Sounds like you need a different MPC.

By elektrik_muz Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:23 am
They're still stuck on that 100,000 limit? That's pathetic. I guess their excuse is that people aren't using midi as much -- but that doesn't really wash since modern midi devices generate MORE midi, not less. If they really don't think people are using midi, why put it on there at all?

BTW the JJ increased the note capacity by repartitioning RAM at the cost of a small amount of the available sample time. It's all the same memory.

4000 owners can correct me on this but I thought that machine was the same as the 2kxl (300,000) but without the per-sequence limit.

By McSmooth Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:58 am
^ yup, both XL and 4k have 300k notes. Not sure about the per sequence limit or if there is one, but even it there was, at least you can bleed over to the next sequence (although I'd think its more of an issue for live sets). I just know I hit the 256 sample limit on the XL all the time. Sounds like what I said about the RAM vs note capacity is probably the case if what you said about JJ OS is true. What a no brainer with all the extra RAM on the new machines. Should be an easy fix for an Akai if so and enough people complain. In my mind, that could easily be a global setting you could set to whatever you like that would simply require a reboot to apply.

Reem, of course you will never hit the note limit, you don't use synths or a real sampler :wink: Again, it will not effect the average MPC user, just a few hardcore MIDI junkies here and there. But seriously, that is still one of the main reasons people still praise MPCs, so they should embrace it.