MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai

By adrian Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:53 am
One final thing to say. So far everyone agrees that the newest MPC is expensive. Right? Just imagine what AKAIs next replacement "flagship" is going to cost? The only real advances that they can make to the MPC line from a hardware upgrade stand point will be firewire, touchscreen, and more RAM. Which, will make the unit even more expensive.

AKAI is fighting a losing battle. The software market has pretty much killed the MPC's. AKAI knows that. There has been no real new innovations from AKAI in a long while. They have dropped the DPS, the vocal processors are gone. Rack mount samplers are gone. As is the MFC, and the AKAI DIGITAL line. As for the guitar effects pedals? I don't know about that one. All they are really left with now are MIDI controllers. :roll:

By 8chez Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:12 am
Well...you can look at MPCs as some kind of AKAI-twisted combination of (1) Audio interface (2) Computer (3) DAW (4) Sampling software (5) MIDI controller...and to a much lesser extent, (6) a disply...to me it's not so bad. It's just a different horse for a different race.

My current set up of all the things mentioned above cost me something like 5 grand when I purchased them, but the value drops so quickly and it does get outdated pretty soon. But even MPC 2000s are still very much alive and kicking.

Personally I prefer an MPC to having YET another computer. :lol:

By LvngDead Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:25 pm
**** a hardware upgrade. Gimme the software in the Alesis Fusion in the next MPC and we can call it a day. **** losers.

By Askia Shaheed Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:25 pm
adrian wrote:
moyphee wrote:
Askia Shaheed wrote:Marketing research showed nobody wanted the MPC 4000..and only the kids wanted a cheaper MPC like the 1000.

the 4000 was killed because the parent company was broke and the 4000 expensive to build. 6d Numark went for the entry level and prosumer market because that is the sector that accepts Numark's products.

What documented market research are you pointing to ?

Since you obviously do not know your facts I will have to tell you this......YOU ARE WRONG!!! The 4K died because the Intel StrongArm chip had been discontinued. Since you don't know what that means I will explain. The Intel StrongArm chip is the processor chip used for the MPC4000 and Z4/Z8 samplers. With out that chip you have no 4K or Z samplers.

@ Askia Shaheed You too are WRONG!!!!! A lot of people wanted a MPC with keygroups, 24/96, internal CD, HD and USB.

Adrian

The MPC 4000 was never the top choice among producers that use MPCs. Akai were basically trying to give away the Z series samplers, which I feel were the worst sampler Akai has released.

If Akai felt their core users wanted another MPC similar to the 4000, they would release one. Instead they are going with an MPC 5000 which is more similar to a super MPC 2500.

So regardless of what a few here feel, I believe the core MPC users (MPC 1000/2000/2000XL/2500/3000) will find the MPC 5000 an ideal machine.

By 8chez Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:46 pm
Yeah. Just gimme my 5K~!!! :lol:

By nm Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:32 pm
mp3 wrote:
macman wrote:Remember all your TOP producers you want your beats to sound like process there drums through the following.

API 550B'S £2000
SSL Buss Comp £2200
Neve Pre Amp's (Darkchild) £1800
Neve EQ £2000
Engineer £600 per day
SSL Board

I don't wanna sound like them. That's a cop out.

What's that got to do with a filter that doesn't have the headroom to deal with a normalized kick drum sample?

Honestly, if you're going to represent Akai, then cut out the hyperbole.

Maybe I can save MacMan the trouble...

If a sample is normalized, than it means that any further increase in gain would cause it to clip.

All filters (i.e. regular EQs too) create a resonant peak even when they are cutting a given frequency. In fact, this resonant peak is what makes one filter more popular, or 'sound better' than another. The presence of a resonant peak means that there will be an increase in gain when the filter is used.

So... this means that...

Any perceived headroom that a filter has means that the processor is attenuating the gain on the input (usually via a -10db or -15db and a limiter on the output). This is the same thing as having to turn down the gain (as you described) yourself, but gives you less control. There will simply have to be some attenuation (somewhere) anytime you apply a filer to a normalized sample. The question is whether or not you'll have control over it, whether the filter has a pad on the input, or whether there is a "smart" gain structure to the filter that attenuates only the needed amount (don't we all wish).

Keep in mind that in the digital world, (apart from the db difference between your noise floor and clipping) there is no such thing as headroom. In the analog world, devices have the capability (or lack of) to produce extra strong signals for short periods of time without undesirable distortion, but in the digital world, this concept doesn't work.

To compensate for our (all-too-often) poor gain stage setup, digital processors are often set up to apply attenuation at the input, and makeup gain on the output. When we have control over this, it's great. When we don't, this simply serves to raise the noise floor of the recording.

If processors didn't do this, they'd clip all the time unless we turned down our faders.

For an outside example of this, consider how ProTools and Nuendo use different methods to deal with the same problem:

When you've got a number of audio tracks (in either program), and they're being summed to a Main output, all the bits need to be added up. If all your tracks are peaking around 0db, when they're added up, the resulting signal is going to clip the main output.

Earlier versions of ProTools (maybe the current ones too, but I switched) throw out some of the extra bits out (so it doesn't clip). This is why people used to complain that it sounded bad. It also fueled the sales of external summing bus units.

Nuendo and Cubase and now Sonar use 64Bit summing busses so that all of your 24Bit tracks could actually add up to more than 0 without distorting.

Hopefully this can help put the filter thing into perspective for you. :)
By nm Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:35 pm
tresperros wrote:I got really simple question for you Andy:
Where 5k wins over 4k ????????
details pls, no company's 'small talk'...

Not sure about other features, but the ones that have got me excited are:
1. Hard Disk Streaming of samples (less dependancy on ram, + longer samples)
2. Multi-bounce. Means you don't have to sync and record in real-time to logic any more if you don't want to. Also means it'll be easier to bring your project to other artists/studios.

By nm Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 pm
Akai uk wrote:Hi There,

Ok why should you buy a MPC5000,

Arpeggiator on board.
3 Osc Synth
Hard Disk recorder (Spin Remixed vocals straight in)
Expanded Quantize function
Tight timing
Original old skool (SIMULI MODE) Important for creating drum layers
Internal Re-sampling
Better screen (not so cluttered)
Better and more EF (Everyone hated the 4000 fx)
Better and more Filters and modes on board
More q link (+ Qlink can be mmc cc Controllers)
More mute modes, Track,Pad,Track Gruop,Pad Group,Instant Track Mute on/off
If you own a 2500/1000/ use can start prodgramming without a hugh learning curve.
Q-links are better for mixing,effects editing, and synth editing
Better sound quality at Sapmle rate/Bit Depth plus better phono/ Mic pre pre amps.

12 bit old skool output mode with old skool mode in master compressor.

We have added some new features which are not in the original manual which expand on then FX side. Will have more details for you.

Remember the 4000 is very old technology now and its very hard finding items like the outputs boards etc and also If you had future problems with it getting it repaired it could become difficult. The 4000 is part of the old AKAI which is no longer.

Numark/Alesis have full world support with all our new range of products.

500/1000/2500/5000/mpk49/xr20

Hope this helps

Don't forget hard disk sample streaming!! There's lots of posts asking why the 5k's max ram isn't higher...(192 MB Max). Being able tostream directly from the hard disk (like most software based samplers can) vastly reduces the RAM needed.

By scd Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:07 am
nm wrote:
Don't forget hard disk sample streaming!! There's lots of posts asking why the 5k's max ram isn't higher...(192 MB Max). Being able tostream directly from the hard disk (like most software based samplers can) vastly reduces the RAM needed.

You're mistaken here. The 5k has no harddisk sample streaming. It has a 8 track harddisk recorder that is playing back your recordings. That's something different. You can't "play" those recordings with pads or outside midi triggers.

Boele

By Askia Shaheed Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:31 am
scd wrote:
nm wrote:

You're mistaken here. The 5k has no harddisk sample streaming. It has a 8 track harddisk recorder that is playing back your recordings. That's something different. You can't "play" those recordings with pads or outside midi triggers.

Boele

Yeah...streaming samples from hard disk was a feature that was initially advertised in the MPC 4000 but was never implemented. It would be great if this were possible in the MPC 5000. The new Linn drum machine has this feature advertised as well.
By nm Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:56 pm
You're completely right. Sorry about that. I misunderstood and associated the hard disk recording with hard disk sample streaming.

I'd love to see this feature though, given the lower available ram.

Thanks for setting me straight on that. Its better that I find out sooner than later!

By Ekl1p5e Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:19 pm
Is it possible for the MPC5K to have rx/rx2 file import capability in a future os update?

By b-righteous Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:40 am
Is it possible for the MPC5K to have rx/rx2 file import capability in a future os update?

And acidized wav too. Plus the ability to import the slices of both directly to patch phrases.

It would be good if the 5000 could read the bpm info from acidized .wav files in sample edit.

By Askia Shaheed Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:50 am
LvngDead wrote:**** a hardware upgrade. Gimme the software in the Alesis Fusion in the next MPC and we can call it a day. **** losers.

This would actually win over most of the naysayers in the forums....(at least those that can actually afford higher end MPCs)...