MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Sovereign Mon May 26, 2008 1:45 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:
Sovereign wrote:Your problem is that you have gotten good advice that was unrelated to your problem.
People are thinking you have a complicated problem when it's just a simple problem.
Your problem lies in understanding setting the tempo of the sequence to match the tempo of your sample.
If you are counting your beats correctly and it is a 8 bar sample all you have to do is tap the pad to trigger the sample and use the tap tempo function to set the tempo of the sequence.
Will probably require a little fine tuning of the tempo based on you being new to this.

The Patch Phrase function does not work on the 2500 or 5k but the off-line TCE can do pretty good, but none of that is related to your problem.

Question....what do you mean by the Patched Phrase on the MPC 2500 and 5K doesn't work? While I never use these features, they both appear to work as advertised. Can you be more specific?

As far as UBANKRECORDS question....I believe I provided the answer to the simple problem with my first response. :D

Patch Phrase on both units is chopping not smooth.

The tempo detect on the 5k suffers from the same problem the 2500 had looks at peaks instead of just looking at number of beats.
Why they didn't change this or give the option to do both like JJ did still seems strange.
If you are detecting a sample that is a drum loop or something highly percussive it does a good job, but with rhythms it off the mark.
Best bet will always be to play the sample and use the tap tempo.

I simply find the tempo of the loop and set the tempo of the sequence to match it.

Was correct, you just should have told him to use the tap tempo.
By 4dahaterz Mon May 26, 2008 5:57 am
The MPC has never been good at detecting the Tempo... and I feel what you are saying about the Patch Phrase, I played with that joint today... Its ok to use, just as long as you dont slow the sample down... If you slow the sample down, then you are jacked... if you speed it up, you are ok
By Blue Haze Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 am
All time slicing works the same way. They all sound better if you speed them up. Jah was correct about using patch phrase and so was Soverign about slicing to peaks cuz that is exactly how recycle like function works. But you guys forget to add for the user you have to go in there and make sure the start and end points for each slice is on the money a bit of fine tuning by the user. You can`t expect the machine to do everything for you, can you?

Besides if you use the equal regions function besides the slice by transit you can find the manual way of chopping by note timing remember samples work with midi the manual way that all mpc users been doing since the mpc 60.

Basics cover the basics then you aren`t dependent always on automation. Like Jah said the 2500 and 5k are very similar as for as the chop shop and patch phrase with the 5k having the added plus of the slice at zero crossings option a new one for mpcs.

I don`t even own a 5k but it is the same techniques whether ableton, logic, 60. 3k, 2k, or whatever basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C9Flf3X2VQ
By Blue Haze Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:19 am
4dahaterz wrote:The MPC has never been good at detecting the Tempo... and I feel what you are saying about the Patch Phrase, I played with that joint today... Its ok to use, just as long as you dont slow the sample down... If you slow the sample down, then you are jacked... if you speed it up, you are ok

I disagree from the 2k on up anyone could find the tempo of a loop by setting the correct number of beats within the bars in (the sample edit page) you looped all covered in getting started thread and essential info. The 60 and 3k yes the tap temp works and if you are a dj it helps too. But the newer mpcs has it built in for us.

When you slow down a sample you have to adjust the length of the sound to fit in the time of the tempo.
By 4dahaterz Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:32 pm
Blue Haze wrote: I disagree from the 2k on up anyone could find the tempo of a loop by setting the correct number of beats within the bars in (the sample edit page) you looped all covered in getting started thread and essential info. The 60 and 3k yes the tap temp works and if you are a dj it helps too. But the newer mpcs has it built in for us.

When you slow down a sample you have to adjust the length of the sound to fit in the time of the tempo.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and i feel that "Detect Tempo" could be alot better. Especially compared to the way technology is today. You shouldnt have to go and input all that information in finding that tempo, if you do that, you might as well just get a tempo calculator, because now that you have found the amount of beats and bars, once you put in the length, you pretty much got the tempo yourself... In DJ software and Plug In's you can pick the Tempo up at any amount of beats and bars

but yea, detect tempo is more of a great Tempo Calculator then a Detect Tempo function
By Blue Haze Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 pm
4dahaterz wrote:
Blue Haze wrote: I disagree from the 2k on up anyone could find the tempo of a loop by setting the correct number of beats within the bars in (the sample edit page) you looped all covered in getting started thread and essential info. The 60 and 3k yes the tap temp works and if you are a dj it helps too. But the newer mpcs has it built in for us.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and i feel that "Detect Tempo" could be alot better. Especially compared to the way technology is today. You shouldnt have to go and input all that information in finding that tempo, if you do that, you might as well just get a tempo calculator, because now that you have found the amount of beats and bars, once you put in the length, you pretty much got the tempo yourself... In DJ software and Plug In's you can pick the Tempo up at any amount of beats and bars

but yea, detect tempo is more of a great Tempo Calculator then a Detect Tempo function

I hear what you are saying but really it is as simple as turning the loop end or sample end to 4 or 8 or hitting bpm count in region window less than 5secs. But hey it just my opinion we are dealing with hardware.

Have fun with that 5k without the automate tempo detector. :wink:
By UBANKRECORDS Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 pm
Blue Haze wrote:All time slicing works the same way. They all sound better if you speed them up. Jah was correct about using patch phrase and so was Soverign about slicing to peaks cuz that is exactly how recycle like function works. But you guys forget to add for the user you have to go in there and make sure the start and end points for each slice is on the money a bit of fine tuning by the user. You can`t expect the machine to do everything for you, can you?

Besides if you use the equal regions function besides the slice by transit you can find the manual way of chopping by note timing remember samples work with midi the manual way that all mpc users been doing since the mpc 60.

Basics cover the basics then you aren`t dependent always on automation. Like Jah said the 2500 and 5k are very similar as for as the chop shop and patch phrase with the 5k having the added plus of the slice at zero crossings option a new one for mpcs.

I don`t even own a 5k but it is the same techniques whether ableton, logic, 60. 3k, 2k, or whatever basics.

My question is, when I slice or chop a sample I want I discard then chop and when I am selecting the regions it will not let me go past certain start or end points. Some are so close its not even a sound. How do I manually set the regions. I tried manually when I got there but it would go to only a certain end/start point.

Thanks in Advance!
By Blue Haze Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:40 pm
UBANKRECORDS wrote:
Blue Haze wrote:All time slicing works the same way. They all sound better if you speed them up. Jah was correct about using patch phrase and so was Soverign about slicing to peaks cuz that is exactly how recycle like function works. But you guys forget to add for the user you have to go in there and make sure the start and end points for each slice is on the money a bit of fine tuning by the user. You can`t expect the machine to do everything for you, can you?

My question is, when I slice or chop a sample I want I discard then chop and when I am selecting the regions it will not let me go past certain start or end points. Some are so close its not even a sound. How do I manually set the regions. I tried manually when I got there but it would go to only a certain end/start point.

Thanks in Advance!

First look at your wave and count out either each wave or have a good idea what the timing of the notes are being played 1/8 bass notes, 1/16 melody, and so on and then set your number of regions.

The way you are describing your chopping you could manually just use the Extract edit function manually to select the region you want from a sample. The two automated way is if you use the chop shop (read pages 97 to 100 in the manual) you set chop shop to equal and hit the pad of the sample region and adjust the start and the end.

I got to go now time to eat good luck.
By UBANKRECORDS Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:37 pm
Blue Haze wrote:
UBANKRECORDS wrote:

Thanks in Advance!

First look at your wave and count out either each wave or have a good idea what the timing of the notes are being played 1/8 bass notes, 1/16 melody, and so on and then set your number of regions.

The way you are describing your chopping you could manually just use the Extract edit function manually to select the region you want from a sample. The two automated way is if you use the chop shop (read pages 97 to 100 in the manual) you set chop shop to equal and hit the pad of the sample region and adjust the start and the end.

I got to go now time to eat good luck.

thank you!
By Blue Haze Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:35 pm
You are welcome. I would practice chopping drum breaks, then move onto to instrumentals like a guitar, basslines, piano melody and so on to refine your chopping skills with one note or hit per slice.

Good luck and happy sampling.