MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By eknocbeats Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:09 pm
Been looking around and these aren't selling fast from what i've seen when the 4k's go on shelf. Anyway just wondering what you guys think about the future of Aksi based on the 5k product (if it even has that much of an affect on the company)?

I coulnd't see this thing flowing until the bugs are gone.
By moyphee Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:48 pm
eknocbeats wrote:I coulnd't see this thing flowing until the bugs are gone.

I think a cleaner OS is what a lot of users may be waiting for. I also agree with the sales observation. The deluge of new users like with the 2500 and 1000 just isn't there.

At the same time I've never seen a machine like this and with such customer anticipation trickle into the retailer's hands. It really stumbled out of the gate. Numark has just about bled dry the MPC brand-IMO.
By Askia Shaheed Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:35 am
moyphee wrote:

I think a cleaner OS is what a lot of users may be waiting for. I also agree with the sales observation. The deluge of new users like with the 2500 and 1000 just isn't there.

At the same time I've never seen a machine like this and with such customer anticipation trickle into the retailer's hands. It really stumbled out of the gate. Numark has just about bled dry the MPC brand-IMO.

How did they 'bled dry' the MPC brand when the MPC 5000 is their first model?
By Coz Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:42 am
I think the current OS problems are definitely holding the 5K back, coupled with the fact that most people will want the memory maxed out and the dvd drive fitted... hence more outlay.

I also think that a lot of producers are having to consider the 'bang for their buck' results they are likely to achieve from the 5K compared to a comparatively cheap computer setup. In this day and age software will out-perform an MPC in every department, but hardware is still more intuitive to use (with the right OS!) and will always have a place.

At the moment the 5K would be a luxury for me, but i'm not giving up on it just yet.
By Lampdog Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:26 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:
moyphee wrote:

How did they 'bled dry' the MPC brand when the MPC 5000 is their first model?

You know what he meant, stop acting brand new w/ the technical company talk.
By eknocbeats Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:16 pm
Coz wrote:I also think that a lot of producers are having to consider the 'bang for their buck' results they are likely to achieve from the 5K compared to a comparatively cheap computer setup. In this day and age software will out-perform an MPC in every department, but hardware is still more intuitive to use (with the right OS!) and will always have a place.

With that being said wouldn't it be considered a mistake to not have the 5k integrate with a DAW like the Motif does??? At least include an editor like the Fantom. I'm not comparing the 5k to these models, just tstating the features i think should have been includedto accompany the 5k's synth capapbilities.

Askia Shaheed wrote:How did they 'bled dry' the MPC brand when the MPC 5000 is their first model?

Most times when a company takes over another company they keep the enginners, programers. etc. If this is the case with Numark/Akai then the 5k is not their first MPC. Even if so (that they fired every one and started over) Numark can't bittch out and say "well we are new to this give us time" . In my opinion they shouldn't have released that 5k in its current state. Right now they are looking worse than the old Akai!
By Coz Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:16 pm
With that being said wouldn't it be considered a mistake to not have the 5k integrate with a DAW like the Motif does??? At least include an editor like the Fantom. I'm not comparing the 5k to these models, just tstating the features i think should have been includedto accompany the 5k's synth capapbilities.

I couldn't agree more! At this price point basic connectivity and integration with a DAW should be assured. A lot of people wouldn't need those functions but Akai should still try and cover more bases than they currently are. A VA synth is a nice addition but it's no deal breaker.
By Askia Shaheed Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:59 pm
Lampdog wrote:

Actually...I have no idea what he is talking about. My best guess would be for their lack of support for legacy MPCs. If he is talking about something else...then please by all means..explain. Because from where I am sitting at...this new MPC 5000 (despite the bugs which is not shocking at this point in time) is far superior to anything the old-Akai has done. While I love the MPC 3000, these newer models offer so much more. I just can't wait for Akai/Numark to start releasing the OS updates with potential new features......

Additionally..the MPC 2500 didn't receive that much love around here when it was released since the MPC 1000 did pretty much the same thing for half the price.

eknocbeats wrote:Most times when a company takes over another company they keep the enginners, programers. etc. If this is the case with Numark/Akai then the 5k is not their first MPC. Even if so (that they fired every one and started over) Numark can't bittch out and say "well we are new to this give us time" . In my opinion they shouldn't have released that 5k in its current state. Right now they are looking worse than the old Akai!

I have to ask...have you actually used the MPC 5K? Also, have you used the MPC 1000, 2000, 2000XL, 2500, and 4000 with their initial operating systems? Because from my experience, they are not looking 'worse than the old Akai'.

As far as price of the MPC 5K...did everyone forget how much the MPC 2500, 2000, and 2000XL cost when they were released? The MPC 2500 was $2000 when if first dropped. The MPC 5000 costs only $500 more with a hard drive, phono preamp, ADAT output, more Q-link sliders and knobs, larger LCD screen, more memory, onboard synth, hard disk recording, USB 2.0 plus the numerous additional features in the software. Most of today's new workstations are priced between $2000-$2500.
By Sovereign Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:36 am
Jahrome, you know as well as anyone this is the 5th Numark/Akai MPC.
1st was the Blue 4k plus with the grey pads
2nd was the 1k
3rd was the 2500
4th was the 500
5th is the 5k

All 5 units came from Numark/Akai and basically were marketed from the old MPC badge.
The only thing that's different this time is they are admitting that it's using Numark technology from the Fusion.
By Askia Shaheed Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:21 am
Reports indicate that the people who worked on the MPC 1000, 2000XL, 2500, and 4000 (mostly Japanese) are not the same people that worked on the MPC 5000 (UK and USA?). That is the difference. This is MP 5000 is the best MPC to date IMHO which is exactly what I said about the MPC 2500 years ago. These higher end MPCs keep getting better. The 5K removes what I didn't care for in the MPC 4000, and added what I loved in the MPC 3000/2500....and even more.

So if people are still in the market for hardware sampler/sequencer/drum machines than the MPC 5000 will do just fine. So retire your old MPCs and step up to the latest model....after the next OS update(s).
By 4dahaterz Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:26 am
Sovereign wrote:Jahrome, you know as well as anyone this is the 5th Numark/Akai MPC.
1st was the Blue 4k plus with the grey pads
2nd was the 1k
3rd was the 2500
4th was the 500
5th is the 5k

All 5 units came from Numark/Akai and basically were marketed from the old MPC badge.
The only thing that's different this time is they are admitting that it's using Numark technology from the Fusion.

Akai was sold right after releasing the MPC 4000.... and it was left in the hands of Numark to try and fix where the old Akai left off, so therefore, the MPC 4000 actually was actually under the old Akai.
THATS WHAT I HEARD.... NOT SURE HOW TRUE THIS IS (my disclaimer) correct me if yall have better info
By xtraeye Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:57 am
...wouldn't move up to a 5000 unless it had some of those things which have grown on me since the 4000, like, uh, the 24/96 aspect. If alls you're working with is the thumpy bassy stuff 16/44.1 is adequate. When you try to sample things such as knocking down a gate or smashing a box of inferior electronics, well, no. I like to draw that loveliness out in its fullness.
So maybe we are also criticizing how poor the consumers' expectations are, how they cant keep up with the technological advances.
In a club...maybe, movie theaters definitely, and for now that'll be the 4000, for those kinds of scenarios...all you crazy sci-fi lunatics
By Lampdog Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:16 am

Actually...I have no idea what he is talking about. My best guess would be for their lack of support for
legacy MPCs. If he is talking about something else...then please by all means..explain.

Most times when a company takes over another company they keep the enginners, programers. etc.
If this is the case with Numark/Akai then the 5k is not their first MPC.

That is exactly how I read into it.

they are not looking 'worse than the old Akai'.

I can understand that one right there.
By Askia Shaheed Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:18 am
xtraeye wrote:...wouldn't move up to a 5000 unless it had some of those things which have grown on me since the 4000, like, uh, the 24/96 aspect. If alls you're working with is the thumpy bassy stuff 16/44.1 is adequate. When you try to sample things such as knocking down a gate or smashing a box of inferior electronics, well, no. I like to draw that loveliness out in its fullness.
So maybe we are also criticizing how poor the consumers' expectations are, how they cant keep up with the technological advances.
In a club...maybe, movie theaters definitely, and for now that'll be the 4000, for those kinds of scenarios...all you crazy sci-fi lunatics

I've always fond comments like these entertaining. Because MPCs have been creating music outside of thumpy bassy stuff for 20 years. With the exception of the MPC 4000, every MPC since 1994 has the same sample/bit rates. And honestly, if you really wanted a deep sampler today and wanted to keep up withe 'technological advances' , the MPC 4000 would be the last thing I would think about with its limited amount of memory. This is among reasons why so many producers/engineers are using software samplers which are not limited to 512 MB of memory and boasts higher specs than the MPC 4000.

Most times when a company takes over another company they keep the enginners, programers. etc.
If this is the case with Numark/Akai then the 5k is not their first MPC.

Based on what was revealed about JJ in the forums...the old programmers services were not used for the MPC 5000.