MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Swissmaster_Cheese Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:43 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:
Lampdog wrote:
You know what he meant, stop acting brand new w/ the technical company talk.

While I love the MPC 3000, these newer models offer so much more.

Of course the newer models offer so much more over the 3k, theres a 10-15 year difference.
:roll:
By moyphee Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:00 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:Actually...I have no idea what he is talking about.

Allow me to clarify the statement.

Numark since acquiring Akai Pro from Grande Holdings has sought to sell the MPC at every possible price point. The 2500, 1000, and 500 were all set up to sell at specific price points to saturate the market. In doing this, the market is also flooded by short term hobbyist that consequently created a surplus of used machines. This also impacted new sales over the long term and eroded Akai Pro as a pro only brand. With so many used units available and others not willing to upgrade, Akai has effectively squeezed most of the profit potential from the MPC brand.

The 5000 is an attempt to reclaim 4000 level users. The problem is that they have serious competition in today's marketplace. Inexpensive software and hardware competition from Roland have made the MPC a viable option but it's no longer the only option. This (IMHO) why the 5000 is available in such tiny quantities. Numark is testing the market to see if the buzz will result in sales at this level given the current position of the brand. Numark is not yet fully committed the mass production of the 5000 and it's scarcity on the shelves prove it.

Claims of new design teams , new chips, and coding teams are largely unsubstantiated and can't really be proven/unproven . My opinion is that Akai is putting distance between the 5000 and the 500/1000/2500 to appeal to users that perceive them as cheap and less than genuine ( from the 4000 legacy and back). Couple this with the reputation of nonsupport and problem construction and Akai Pro is forced to repackage the image of the company itself.

For the first time a company rep is sent into the forum to interact directly with users. This was not the case when the 500, 1000, or 2500 were released. At no time has Numark ever felt the need to send it's soldiers into the forum to sell dispel. The renaming of the 3500 to the 5000 didn't help the case any. The 800lb gorilla being ignored is that the 5000 by most is perceived as a repackaged MPC-2500 and Alesis Fusion.

All things mention (collectively) is why I feel that Numark has just about bled the Akai MPC brand dry. I see it wise wait until Akai fully commits resources to this unit - unless you just can't wait.

The real question is if the MPC customer base believes Numark's claims and testimony that this is new Akai and an all new MPC. If sales and upgrades are the primary indicator ...they don't.
By Askia Shaheed Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:41 am
Making MPCs available at every price point is similar to what Roland has done with their products for over a decade. Before 1997-1999, MPCs were priced way outside of the average consumer/hobbyist budgets. The old Akai released a more affordable MPC with the release of the 2000 and later the XL. Today, we have MPCs that everyone can afford. I don't believe this has eroded Akai as a pro only brand anymore than cheap products made by Korg, Yamaha, or Roland has cheapened their images. Today, 'Pro' doesn't necessarily mean booking time in a multi-million dollar studio. The home studio revolution has afforded anyone with a modest budget to get their music in the hands of masses.

Used music gear has always been a lucrative market and will continue to be such I suspect. I don't believe that availability of used MPCs impact sales of newer models especially if we are talking about the higher end models. It simply gets MPCs in the hands of people who would normally not be able to afford a new model....like buying a used car. As far as profits..I would defer expertise to that topic for the CEOs of the multi-million dollar companies and not some guys in an internet forum with too much time on their hands.

What is an MPC 4000 level user? From my perspective and opinion (and I have plenty of opinions), the MPC 5000 is Akai going back to what people loved in an MPC. For 5 years, I have posted the pro's and con's of different MPCs around these different forums to include the MPC 4000. The MPC 5000 is exactly what I wanted in an MPC when the MPC 4000 dropped. The MPC 5000 is exactly what I wanted when the MPC 2500 dropped. The problem that Akai is facing is the same problem all companies of music production gear has faced for over a decade. Akai is not the only company impacted by software. As I wrote before Yamaha, Korg, and Roland has been impacted. And with that said, Akai MPCs (past and present) are still the premiere sampling drum machines. Their current position as a brand has not been impacted outside of the forums. The MPC 5000 is available in small quantities because it is new. The same is true for any new workstation that hits the market and has nothing to do with companies not being 'fully committed'. Looking around the internet today, they are now in stock in several places.

It is a fact that the MPC 5000 has a new 'coding' team. The previous Japanese team members are no longer employed whether you believe that or not. The MPC 5000 is still unavailable in Japan and is not even advertised. Cheap and less than genuine? I've seen the MPC 2500 in production studios owned by the likes of Alicia Keys to the Neptunes. The MPC 2500 is a remarkable improvement on the MPC 2000XL which is part of the legacy you are talking about. Have you ever used one? The MPC 4000 never achieved the same status as the MPC 3000 and 2000XL for reasons I wrote earlier. I based this on the fact that even after the release of the MPC 4000, the MPC 3000 and 2000XLs were the MPCs most likely to be seen in studios.

Company reps have been in these forums for years. They have interacted with forum members that behaved like adults. The Beta-testers were here in the forums to provide you info on the new product which I have done for several years. They are still around but I assume they don't have time to address silly issues that have been written in hundreds of threads. But unlike them, I will take the time to address certain things no matter how many times they are posted. I am strange like that.

The naming of the MPC 5000 only impacts the twenty-something MPC 4000 users in this forum. Is the MPC 5000 a repackaged MPC 2500? I would say yes in the same context as the Motif XS is a repackaged Motif or Motif ES. The same is true for the Fantom G which is a repackaged Fantom or Fantom X within the same context. Instead of being a person who simply speculates...I actually own/owned these products we are now talking about. The MPC 5000 is a significant improvement on the MPC 2500 design. There is already a thread on this. Any MPC 2500 user that has used an MPC 5000 will tell you this. I am just waiting for the OS update to fix bugs I reported as well as waiting for the first major feature improvement which I suspect will come when the MPC 5000 will start shipping to the Japanese markets. (just my best guess) If the Alesis Fusion technology is in the MPC 5000, then I am really excited as long as they incorporate it in way that doesn't hinder the workflow which should be lesson learned from the MPC 4000..which by the way is still used in numerous studios. to include Alicia Keys' production studio. You would think the MPC 4000 is useless based upon comments written about it around here :P

So based upon all of this and your apparent limited few of things, I can understand why you may think the Akai MPC brand has been bled. I see the cheaper MPCs models (which I will never buy for myself) as just a way to let anyone own an MPC...just like anyone can own a Mac Computer for about $500.

But I do agree that anyone looking to buy this MPC 5000 should wait until Akai releases a new OS update..which is the same thing I would say to any new product on the market. With that said, Yamaha just released an OS update for the Motif XS which has over 40 bug fixes and its been out for awhile now ???

Nobody outside of these forums care whether this is the new or old Akai. The only thing they care about is whether the new MPC is a significant improvement to the MPC that are currently using. My opinion is that if you are an MPC 1000, 2000, 2000XL, or 2500 user...that answer is YES. If you are an MPC 3000 user and satisfied with doing things outside of the box..then NO. MPC 4000 users? If you want the classic MPC feel....YES. IF you still believe the sample/bit rates and a its sampler specs are important..simply get the MPC 5000 and a used Z8 sampler (since the new, cheaper MPC devalued them at a price anyone can afford :wink: ).

Also, if you have actual knowledge of how Akai/Numark is doing as a business/profits..please share. But none of this is relevant to actually creating music with Akai/Numark products in the end. I wonder what you guys will be talking about when Akai folds and no more MPCs are produced. Because there is certainly nothing new being written or talked about with the legacy MPC around these parts.
By Sovereign Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:47 am
4dahaterz wrote:
Sovereign wrote:Jahrome, you know as well as anyone this is the 5th Numark/Akai MPC.
1st was the Blue 4k plus with the grey pads
2nd was the 1k
3rd was the 2500
4th was the 500
5th is the 5k

All 5 units came from Numark/Akai and basically were marketed from the old MPC badge.
The only thing that's different this time is they are admitting that it's using Numark technology from the Fusion.

Akai was sold right after releasing the MPC 4000.... and it was left in the hands of Numark to try and fix where the old Akai left off, so therefore, the MPC 4000 actually was actually under the old Akai.
THATS WHAT I HEARD.... NOT SURE HOW TRUE THIS IS (my disclaimer) correct me if yall have better info

The blue 4k plus units with the grey pads were produced under Numark with the production moved to a different facility and some part substitution.
It is not the same unit as those manufactured under Akai JP, thus the reason that some units are dead out the box even when they are new.
The 4k plus with the grey pads is a Numark 4k knockoffor the classic subject to change without notice disclaimer.
Most of the problems came from parts vendors getting screwed when Akai JP went bankrupt and Numark choosing not to settle with them properly.
By Sovereign Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:55 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:

Nobody outside of these forums care whether this is the new or old Akai. The only thing they care about is whether the new MPC is a significant improvement to the MPC that are currently using.

Ignoring all the typical Jahrome babble this statement goes directly to what Eknocbeats was talking about in the beginning people aren't responding to the unit and they aren't moving as they should.
WHY?
because
Nobody outside of these forums care

There are just too many better options for the 5k to draw the attention of previous MPC big movers.
I think Moyphee is correct in
Numark is testing the market
By Askia Shaheed Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 pm
So the blue MPC 2000XL is a knock off as well? :lol: Some people say that any MPC after the MPC 3000 is a knock-off but doesn't stop hits from being created with them. As with any product....if you buy it and it doesn't work as advertised....send it back. The original MPC 4000 is not some 'most sought after' piece of gear. You guys are talking as if the original MPC 4000 didn't have any issues. (piss...it did). The Alicia Keys production studio I wrote about above has the blue model. Based upon what she and her production team does with that (as well as the MPC 2500)..having a knock-off should impact you guys very little.

Also...who are the MPC big movers you are talking about? Any MPC big mover using an MPC 2500 will be using an MPC 5000 shortly.(which is what I wrote about the MPC 2500 when it was released). Remember these words. It's a shame you guys have to stand on the sideline looking in.
By master-ceo Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:28 pm
I finally tested out the MPC3500 at Guitar Center in GA. This machine is lame. The Analog Synth is the Best thing going for it.

The shit takes like 5 mins to Autoload.

You can't audition samples from HD (library) with pads? Dumb shit.

$2500 with No CD Drive installed? A fool and his/her money will part quick!

Shit is big as hell.

Them extra Qlinks just jumble up the machine and the parameter screens suck ass. Gui needs work. Grid Edit is LAME! Notes looked cramed on the sceen.

Too much Bullshit ontop the machine.

The screen got a bunch of wasted space and looks like shit. The contrast knob is in a dumb place.

The yellow/orage leds don't give the machine that new look.

The Main screen is useless. The dots look stupid.

This shit is corny.

:lol: IDGAF what yall say.
By Dzmplz Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:39 pm
I`m thinking of buying the 5000 , but I will feel cheated,..because 2500 dollars is a lot ,..if only it could do some realtime slicing, dicing,..and hope the akai 5000 is fast enough for processing an accapella with real timestreching I would be it like tommorow,..but since having the 2500 if it wasnt for JJ i would sold it already. Numark/AKAI has to bring something new to the table ,.not just synth but more like simple but effective things make it refill compatible, sample can read Mp3 ,AAC, whatever file you have en sampling editing while recording,.(ex:adjust a loop/sample ) Record your song to CD without resample like the 2500,..with some mastering tools,..or ability to usa a VGA monitor. more sampling option maybe? but lets see,.I still hope that would be the case,..Or I have to wait for JJ to make something for the 5000 and make it into a beast.....??
By eknocbeats Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:05 pm
In my opinion...........if you take over a company that has been know to release buggy equipment and not fixing them 100% down the line, and you continue to do the same. Then yes u are a worse company. Just my opinion. That statement will change once Numark fixes all the bugs!

Why did JJ have to makes OS's to fix bugs /improve the 1k and 2500 instead of Numark/Akai?

As far as software and hardware wars go..............all the companys like Roland, Yamaha, Korg, are making equipment that are hardware but can (doesn't have to) be intergrated with computers because they realize software is a threat. Nukaka missed that. They have not created a hardware based only machine that can rivial anything like Kontakt, Emu X, etc. so i don't think they are bringing back that Hardware Samplers Only that some speak of. The 5k is nothing more than a mickey mouse expansion of the 2500! Its the new Flagshiit!
By xtraeye Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:58 pm
from shaheed:
This is among reasons why so many producers/engineers are using software samplers which are not limited to 512 MB of memory and boasts higher specs than the MPC 4000

The point I was trying to make is: yeah we all want new features but at what cost? If you agree that a serious user might need the larger memory etc, then why does it drop from 512 to 192 in the mpc 5000 instead of increase?
What should happen is a release of something like the mpc 4000 only better.
Yes, there are people who want the closest thing to the quality of a studio in a portable box, designed for performing in a live setting. Something I can put into a bag and can carry and setup fast. With a processor and knobs and switches integrated, dedicated, streamlined for a minimal space where you need to move and act quickly and unhindered. Thats what the mpc is all about, not some whinings about how there is better so you should use that because you cant have anything good in the mpc format. Or limiting the newer model to older model specs because that was good enough then and should be good enough now. Those units sold at that bit rate because that was the cutting edge technology that was available at the time. If I need that "old school bitrate" I can always switch down if I want, but I never did.
After these parameters are met, yes, challenged and improved upon, THEN maybe a release of a junior version for the guys who want cheap and who'll buy it and bang it around their momma's basement or whatever. And dream of owning a mpc4000!
ByRed_Dragon Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Just got minds for $2100 new plus $30 shipping.. :mrgreen:
By Sovereign Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:20 pm
Askia Shaheed wrote:So the blue MPC 2000XL is a knock off as well? :lol: Some people say that any MPC after the MPC 3000 is a knock-off but doesn't stop hits from being created with them. As with any product....if you buy it and it doesn't work as advertised....send it back. The original MPC 4000 is not some 'most sought after' piece of gear. You guys are talking as if the original MPC 4000 didn't have any issues. (piss...it did). The Alicia Keys production studio I wrote about above has the blue model. Based upon what she and her production team does with that (as well as the MPC 2500)..having a knock-off should impact you guys very little.

Also...who are the MPC big movers you are talking about? Any MPC big mover using an MPC 2500 will be using an MPC 5000 shortly.(which is what I wrote about the MPC 2500 when it was released). Remember these words. It's a shame you guys have to stand on the sideline looking in.

Funny how you always try to joke through things and even worst act like you have ever been to a studio other than in magazines.
The Blue XL was out of production before Numark took over and the only 4k's manufactured by Numark are easy to recognize they are blue, have a different color scheme for the buttons, grey pads, different CD Rom, different hard drive, different cooling fan and don't include the digital I/O as they should.

Funny how you always talk about Alicia Keys and her MPC when her music direction has little to do with MPC type production.
Just because you see a person with a piece of gear doesn't tells you how they are using it.
Lamp said you had been acting more intelligent since you got the 5k but we all knew it was a matter of time before you went back to being Jahrome.
By 4dahaterz Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:25 pm
master-ceo wrote:I finally tested out the MPC3500 at Guitar Center in GA. This machine is lame. The Analog Synth is the Best thing going for it.

The **** takes like 5 mins to Autoload.

You can't audition samples from HD (library) with pads? Dumb ****.

$2500 with No CD Drive installed? A fool and his/her money will part quick!

**** is big as hell.

Them extra Qlinks just jumble up the machine and the parameter screens suck ass. Gui needs work. Grid Edit is LAME! Notes looked cramed on the sceen.

Too much **** ontop the machine.

The screen got a bunch of wasted space and looks like ****. The contrast knob is in a dumb place.

The yellow/orage leds don't give the machine that new look.

The Main screen is useless. The dots look stupid.

This **** is corny.

:lol: IDGAF what yall say.

You have got to be the biggest MPC 5G hater :lol: (the reason why I say that is because you hate in all the other mpc 5000 threads about other peoples problems or etc...), but thats your opinion.... by the way, the machine only takes under 2 minutes to load up...

This is funny how people are taking this new MPC sooooo personal.... never seen so much hatin(well besides 50 cent) but da.mn.... its only a MPC 5000, either you like it or not.... Seems like yall are about to start talkin about people Mama's in a minute or somethin

I mean, yall got the MPC yall wont, or you sold it too whom ever to get rid of it.... I mean, if some of yall just want a computer, D.amn, go and by one, and actually purchase the software for what it takes to run the computer, and dont forget the MIDI controller, do what ya do, thats your business, but some of yall are really trippin on a new MPC. Those of us that bought it, apparently we are satisfied at the moment, and until those of us that become unsatisfied, im sure most of us have an ebay account and a great digital camera.

They still have MPC 4000's on ebay and brand new in some stores stillllll.....

Im sorry, but i have never been a person to complain over someone elses "problem that yall claim we have." Instead, I do sh..t like I did when I owned my MPC 2000XL, and worked on others 3000, 4000, and 2500.... Take ya a$$ to the computer to finish what you cant, or whatever other processor you need to make it happen...
Last edited by 4dahaterz on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sovereign Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:35 pm
4dahaterz wrote:
You have got to be the biggest MPC 5G hater :lol: (the reason why I say that is because you hate in all the other threads about other peoples problems or etc...), but thats your opinion.... by the way, the machine only takes under 2 minutes to load up...

He only gave his opinion, what's wrong with that?
What ever happened to the world where when you said you didn't like something or spoke about it negatively it was your choice or opinion.
Now people act like you have broken one of the ten commandments.
Just as a person has the right to like something the next man has the right to dislike it.
By 4dahaterz Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:47 pm
Sovereign wrote: He only gave his opinion, what's wrong with that?
What ever happened to the world where when you said you didn't like something or spoke about it negatively it was your choice or opinion.
Now people act like you have broken one of the ten commandments.
Just as a person has the right to like something the next man has the right to dislike it.

Nonthin wrong wit an opinion... but when you in 2 or 3 posts speaking your mind(sounds like hatin), thats not an opinion no more.... thats hatin... Im giving my opinion and keepin it real... you cant tell me thats not hatin when you on more then one mpc 5000 thread hating... be serious

just like he got that right, i got the right to say what i feel about his remarks... I mean, its cool to speak ya mind... but d.amn, on every other thread