Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By try2dream Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:03 am
ive finally decided to give up the mpc and make the switch to software. mainly because of the ease of using fx, vsts & eqing in detail and all in one piece of software.
im now trying to work out what is the best piece of software to use. i basically want to have one midi keyboard controller to trigger drums and general chops that ive sampled, be able to play any vst i load up and to use compression, fx & mix everything down in the one piece of software.
i was looking at reason but you cant load vsts into it so i was thinking cubase sounded pretty good...
what do you guys think would be the best option?
By Doglamp Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 am
i basically want to have one midi keyboard controller to trigger drums and general chops that ive sampled

Ableton Live.
By try2dream Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 am
Ableton Live.

ive herd a bit about ableton and it sounds pretty straight forward and user friendly. whats the mixing, etc. features like?
would anyone recommend cubase or sonar?
By Doglamp Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:43 am
Live comes with audio effects. Compressor EQ, Limiter, etc. Most programs do these days. That midi controller you have might've come with Live Lite. You can use it to get Live or Suite with a discount.

Here's a list of ae's:

Last edited by Doglamp on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
By mr.pleasant Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:49 am
in mine own opinon....... this move is a kinda FAIL......
then again imma a hands on guy :D
By JUKE 179r Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:16 am
You'll be back... we'll keep a light on for ya! 8)
By BGBEATS Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:48 am
ableton live 8 no doubt if you gotta go

DJ NU-MARK did it

Jazzy Jeff did it

I enjoy using both yet I understand if you go all the way over

ableton live 8 is like the dream mpc operating system

like if they made an ableton sponsered mpc, it would be best of both worlds
By JUKE 179r Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:15 am
I thought that's what the APC-40 was for? :D
By BGBEATS Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:50 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:I thought that's what the APC-40 was for? :D

I use the apc more as a daw controller/mixer to keep away from the mouse, the apc "pads"/ clip triggers are not velocity sensitive and could be bigger.

the mpd 32 would be close yet one of the things i like about mpc is it's all in the one box computer audio interface/ midi controller/ software

if ableton made a live 8 based mpc os it would prob make JJ piss the bed
By konc3pt Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:00 pm
Doglamp wrote:
i basically want to have one midi keyboard controller to trigger drums and general chops that ive sampled

Ableton Live.
By thx Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:18 pm
Doglamp wrote:

Ableton Live.

ableton live is very good for multitrack recording, vsti, fx, editing and mixing, and the mpd24 is a good tool to manipolate tracks, fx, and samples with live.

it's strange, i've always used software and now in the last two years i'm really tired of it, and prefer working on hardware.
many peoples in this forum seems to go in the opposite direction
By BGBEATS Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:04 pm
try2dream wrote:ive finally decided to give up the mpc and make the switch to software. mainly because of the ease of using fx, vsts & eqing in detail and all in one piece of software.

check your pm's
By mp3 Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:11 pm
I would advise against selling your hardware. Put it in the closet, until you're 100% happy with your software setup, then you can think about selling it. I used to be all hardware, back when we didn't have a choice. I switched to all software in 2001, and added hardware back to my setup starting around 2004.

There are two things you can't get around in software: Latency and Jitter. There are plenty of things you can't do in hardware (not without a $20k setup, that is...).

I personally got tired of the software feature creep and constant configuration/troubleshooting/updating that seemed to make my music worse and worse over time. So now I'm like features be damned, and just use what makes the best music. For me that's a combination of software (Ableton w/3rd party plugins) and hardware (MPC/ASR, filters, etc.)

Use each for its strengths.

And remember that all-in-one software still requires several additional pieces to function optimally. You'll still need 1) the computer, 2) a keyboard- or pad-based MIDI input device, 3) a soundcard, and you'll want 4) a controller of some sort. And that's not even mentioning all the other little pieces of software you'll need/want in order to augment your all-in-one software's shortcomings. So they're really not as 'all-in-one' as they advertise.

But really, my problem with computers is the mouse. Its like painting a block-long mural with a mini paintbrush. Mice and music just don't go together for me. At least not at the composing/producing/arranging stage. Post production? Yeah the mouse is mostly fine for that.
By dabmeister Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 pm
^^^ Yeah, I'm against doing away with one or the other too. My suggestion...combine or make use of both of them (ie: use mpc to control s/w).