Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By Sonny678 Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:27 pm
I would be very grateful for some advice I’m just really started using mpc. I have reason 4 on my computer. Can I use both together? For
Example I want to do allot of sampling. I have sampled music from my CD player to my mpc.
1 Can I move this sample from mpc to reason
2 Can I work on this sample in reason, make it into a loop and then place a drum beat over it in reason.
3 Can I then move this changed sample back to the mpc to maybe record vocals?
4 Can I then move this sample back to the computer to place on a CD.?
5 Finally can I do the reverse can I move drumbeats, a drum sample from reason and use them on
A saved sample on mpc.

I would be really grateful for any responses.
By Clint Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:24 pm
Most of what you ask is possible one way or another, but there is some basic knowledge regarding the MPC and Reason that you really need to grasp first.

Both aspects have been comprehensively covered here so be sure to check out (and search for) related threads in the MPC1000, MPC Studio Environments, Production Techniques and last but not least, the Popular Questions forum.

Also there are loads of tutorial videos posted online for MPC and Reason users, worth a look to see what is possible.

This thread should throw up some possibilities for you.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31174
By Sonny678 Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:52 pm
Thanks for the above advice. The one question Im finding hard to get an answer for is is can I move drumbeats, a drum sample from reason 4 and use them on a saved sample on mpc. It would be great to get an answer to this question. Thanx
By Sonny678 Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:58 pm
Thanks Dcook79 for the advice, im thinking of just sampling in reason instead of akai. Can I move a sample from akai to reason, and in reason are you able to bring a sample from akai say 20 seconds long and loop it in reason and record it in reason and then place vocals over it. I hope that makes sense.
Im just finding all this like a matrix, all i wanna do is loop a 20 second sample of music into 4 minute piece of music were I can place vocals over it . It would be great for some advice here, people have been a great help on this board so far, i appreciate the advice it has been hugely helpful, if I could just get to the end to this problem it would be great.
By Clint Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 am
Look.

You cannot sample with Reason.

You can load files from your MPC to Reason if they are .wav format and load them into NNXT, NN19 & Redrum.

You cannot record vocals directly into Reason, you can however import a sampled vocal.

Sounds like you need to get an Audio Editor to chop and edit samples, otherwise it can be done in your MPC sampler.

Hope that clears up a few things.
By akmatic Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:22 am
It sounds like you haven't used either platform much at all yet. You need to spend some time on these things and figure out your own workflow. That said, Personally I would put jj os on the mpc and turn off reason for the most part. You don't need it. You can't record into it and you can't edit sound files either. Not only that but you can't pull files out of the factory sound banks to use on the mpc. If you want a wav from the reason refills you need to export audio from a reason project.

IMO the only reason for reason is making crazy synth patches in the combinator.

I've been using reason and ableton for years and only discovered the mpc workflow recently, but it's completely taken over my production. Reason for synths, ableton for warping and mpc for putting it all together. Plus w/ jj os you get audio tracks so you can do vocals in your 1k easily. Plus that mpc tone is no joke.
By Know1 Mon May 24, 2010 9:21 pm
If you really want to use Reason with your MPC, your best bet would be to use Reason as a sound module. It seems like you want to get into some type of DAW recording. Reason can be used with a few DAW's using rewire but it is certainly not one. It' s nothing more than midi software. It doesn't hold weight to any MPC. It can be used as a nice sound mod though.