Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By carloboranga Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:37 pm
Propellerheads sent me this mail right now:

«Today we are excited to announce a special offer for registered Record Reason Duo users.

From the day of release on September 30th until the end of October, owners of both Record and Reason will be able to upgrade to Reason 6 by naming their own price.

Wait, what?

That's right. If you own both Reason and Record you decide what you will pay for the upgrade to Reason 6. We trust you to decide what Reason 6 is worth to you. Whatever you decide, that's what you'll pay*.

*Anything you want, as long as anything is at least $1.00/€1.00. But you've already decided to pay more than that, right?»

marketing god's are watching us...
By distortedtekno Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:41 pm
carloboranga wrote:Propellerheads sent me this mail right now:

«Today we are excited to announce a special offer for registered Record Reason Duo users.

From the day of release on September 30th until the end of October, owners of both Record and Reason will be able to upgrade to Reason 6 by naming their own price.

Wait, what?

That's right. If you own both Reason and Record you decide what you will pay for the upgrade to Reason 6. We trust you to decide what Reason 6 is worth to you. Whatever you decide, that's what you'll pay*.

*Anything you want, as long as anything is at least $1.00/€1.00. But you've already decided to pay more than that, right?»

marketing god's are watching us...

Nah.... you sure that wasn't some kind of a spoof like some fake e-bay email? :?
By Metatron72 Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:59 pm
I gotta say that's pretty cool of them. $99 ain't too much, but I felt a little like a 2 year beta tester the way they've updated 6 to incorporate Record's feature set.
By distortedtekno Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm
After seeing the video and previously reading about Record/Reason owners feeling cheated (because if you buy it now, it's a free upgrade and these existing customers have to fork out more money), the have addressed the issue fairly. That's a smart move.
By Metatron72 Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:45 pm
Upright wrote:Just heard about this and I qualify! I would've paid the $99 but $1 works better for me. :D

This is an odd one. I love Propellerhead and in theory would want to give them more than a buck. But I do kind of feel like us Duo owners were on a 2 year beta test with how 6 has been updated. It's a nice gesture to the folks in my situation.

I think I'll go 2X on carloboranga's suggestion, so I'm gonna throw them $3.74USD. :lol:

Maybe this is just a way for them to compile a special list of cheapskate licensed users. :D
By Upright Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:09 pm
Metatron72 wrote:
Upright wrote:Just heard about this and I qualify! I would've paid the $99 but $1 works better for me. :D

This is an odd one. I love Propellerhead and in theory would want to give them more than a buck. But I do kind of feel like us Duo owners were on a 2 year beta test with how 6 has been updated. It's a nice gesture to the folks in my situation.

I think I'll go 2X on carloboranga's suggestion, so I'm gonna throw them $3.74USD. :lol:

Maybe this is just a way for them to compile a special list of cheapskate licensed users. :D

Hahahaha! Hey I'm no cheapskate...maybe I'll throw them $1.01 for all their hard work lol. Nah the way I see it is this their way of giving back to us. Like you said...2 year beta...I think they realize that.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:29 pm
'pay what you want' is becoming quite popular, I'm looking into giving it a go myself on mpc-samples.com at some point - most tests by companies so far have come out favourably. Contrary to what you'd expect, a lot of people do indeed pay more than £1.

In this case, if people have felt a bit hard done by previously by the company, I can see how more will only pay the £1, but generally speaking, I think a lot of people will choose to value the upgrade at a fair market rate.

Of course, the idea is that rather than 1000 people upgrading @ $150, 100,000 upgrade at an average of $10. $1million vs $100,000 works well for Propellerhead and at the same time they create some great PR.

I'd like to see them try the option for $0 though
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:31 pm
clint246clint wrote:That's a great deal for all you 'beta testers' out there, you've earned it.

I use the phrase loosely. It was more they had a whole new style with the 2 app combo, and clearly those of use who got both were in a minority compared to those who stuck with Reason. Most Duo users were thinking "why isn't this just a part of Reason" anyway.

I love those guys and would have fine paying $99, as it wasn't like Duo was buggy or we didn't get value. But it is a kick in the pants to be told that software you bought 6 months to 2 years ago is completely absorbed in the original app. Great gesture toward you long time users, hats off to Propellerhead. :D
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:38 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:'pay what you want' is becoming quite popular, I'm looking into giving it a go myself on mpc-samples.com at some point - most tests by companies so far have come out favourably. Contrary to what you'd expect, a lot of people do indeed pay more than £1.

In this case, if people have felt a bit hard done by previously by the company, I can see how more will only pay the £1, but generally speaking, I think a lot of people will choose to value the upgrade at a fair market rate.

Of course, the idea is that rather than 1000 people upgrading @ $150, 100,000 upgrade at an average of $10. $1million vs $100,000 works well for Propellerhead and at the same time they create some great PR.

I'd like to see them try the option for $0 though

Radiohead is the only zero option I've seen in this model.

I think the "pay what you want" and to a lesser degree, group buys do allow for a decent compromise for both parties. If you did do something like that, I would be inclined to pay less, but not significantly so that I'm almost ripping you off. I've paid full price for one of your sets, and wasn't disappointed with the quality, and I've got of few of your books as well.

If the customers already know the product is quality, that kind of "olive branch" pricing may be the only way to deal with rampant cracks and bootlegs. As was discussed in your thread on that topic Tutor, the only thing that stops piracy, is the pirate deciding to stop pirating.