Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By NearTao Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:28 pm
A few things to check out...
Korg Gadget 2... totally integrated, lots of cool stuff... though it'll draw you into their other apps if you want all of the plugins
GarageBand... quite solid, and free... absolutely worth messing with if you want to start without investing much money
Beat Maker 3... if you like the MPC experience... this is pretty much a must a have iPad app

Not DAWs... but I'd also suggest checking out
Audiobus 3... great for routing audio/plugins/fx around
Koala Sampler... really great and fast sampler
L7 Looper... if you're looking for a looper this is a great piece
By Ocular Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:43 pm
Thanks for the reply NearTao!

Gadget def looks cool but I already have waaaay too many synths as it is. I do mess with GarageBand on my phone. It really is great and exports projects almost perfectly to desktop GarageBand or Logic. I was wondering about BM3... I loved BM2.

I used to use Audiobus 1 and 2. I checked out 3 as I was wondering about the advantages it had compared to inter-app audio. Looks like I'll be making a purchase.

Koala Sampler looks cool but it has a killer function, that is, importing audio from a video file. By starting a screen capture while Spotify is playing, then importing that over to KS, effectively makes KS a Spotify/ YouTube/ etc etc sampler. Are there any other apps that have that function? Does BM3 have that function? I didn't see it in the manual.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:45 pm
Idk if BM3 can import video files and parse the audio from it, I’ve never tried that.
Maybe I can save one to Dropbox and import and try.

I have BM2, LOVED IT, I didn’t like some of the effects cause I heard digital stepping. I was like “there is NO WAY” they can make Beatmaker better, it’s flowers awesome.

SOON as BM3 came out I got it, BOY was I wrong. It’s SOO much better! You won’t regret it. No more digital stepping in fx, more slots and insert routes for fx. BETTER MIXER, holy shit! Easier to manipulate a sample because there is less menu diving, majority of editing a sample is one screen. Choose between 16 or 64 pads on screen with a touch of a toggle.

Sample to spread kybd via a toggle or you can go the deeper route and do a keygroup.
“mod wheel and pitch bend” do more than just traditional use.

If you loved BM2 you need this in your life. Gonna try the video file now, brb.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:24 pm
Nope, avi, mpg, mov, all are greyed out in ipad “files” and can’t be used. BM3 won’t even show them in the Dropbox list and constantly searches for files (I had only vid files in dropbox, no wavs.)
By Ocular Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:17 pm
I bought BM3 last night and I agree it is a massive upgrade from 2. I haven't messed with a MPC style workflow in awhile so it will be a nice change up from Logic.

Lampdog wrote:Nope, avi, mpg, mov, all are greyed out in ipad “files” and can’t be used. BM3 won’t even show them in the Dropbox list and constantly searches for files (I had only vid files in dropbox, no wavs.)

Thanks for checking!

It looks like Koala Sampler is p special then. Thanks for rec NearTao!
By Cockdiesel Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:31 pm
I’m debating on getting the korg M1 app but unsure if I want to wait until my new computer and get the triton vst which comes with the wave station, which I have on iPad, m1 and a few other vsts. Or just get the app now. It’s only like 20-30 bucks.

Anyone here have or use it?
By NearTao Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:37 pm
For Korg iPad apps... it's worth waiting for sales... they do a 50% off apps about two to three times a year... so if you can be patient... it's worth the wait. Not sure if they have a sale going on now... but over the holiday it definitely was on.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 am
That M1 looks GOOD.
By NearTao Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:53 pm
AudioKit Pro just dropped LE05:Digitalism 2000 + AUv3... another Limited Edition app, on sale for $2.99. Sounds brilliant from the patches I checked out. If you're looking for something new definitely check it out
By Cockdiesel Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:52 am
So I caved and got the M1, first impression is that it does sound good but they presets are drenched in effects. Good sounding effects but I really don’t want a hall reverb on every patch. Once you take it off most sounds seem pretty basic. About to take it for a spin with my effects and mixing board.

Hopefully it grows on me some but the first impression wasn’t as strong as the wave station. Trying to consolidate my setup.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:26 am
That’s an industry trick, drown it in fx for the best presentation for the sale.
By Ocular Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:16 am
Oof, BM3 is crashy af. How do you guys deal with it? Are you all just constantly hitting the save button?
By Lampdog Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:20 pm
Maybe every 20-30 minutes. I’ve went hours before without it crashing though.
By Ocular Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:29 pm
I was checking out other apps and came crawling back. I'm just going to have to put up with it and start being aware enough to hit the save button after each step in my process. There really is nothing in the app store quite like BM3.

With that said, I am tempted to experiment with some kind of Cubasis 3/ sampler AU combo. Anyone try out Reslicer or AudioLayer?

Cubasis has such a great UI layout. It's a shame that the Minisampler is what it is.
By NearTao Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:49 pm
With Audiobus and setting apps to be in the background... you can route midi and audio around like crazy...

I haven't used Cubasis, but I'm willing to bet that you can do some really crazy audio routing between that, Audiobus and Reslicer...