Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By CoinOP! Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:56 pm
Great thread!

My wishlist on Appshopper app is ever growing. Great app btw as it notifies any updates, especially off prices for cheap bastards like me.

I'm just a few months into the my first Ipad. Never new you could do so much with it music wise.

Ipolysix is my favorite. I have all the Korg apps, they are regularly half off, and I purchased the IMS20 controller for cheap.

Audiobus is a game changer. Combine it with LoopyHD, SoundprismPRO and a good synth you have a beast.

Hopefully Filtatron will jump on the Audiobus soon.
By tenpan Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 am
Didn't see Samplr https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/samplr/id560756420?mt=8 on this thread yet. This thing is amazing and I always end up with some really nice syncopated rhythms to expand upon in the DAW.

He just needs to implement some crafty way to overdub and it'd be my go to app.

Wish there were ANY decent music making apps for my surface rt tablet cos my girlfriend hogs the ipad :p
By Metatron72 Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:56 am
tenpan wrote:Didn't see Samplr https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/samplr/id560756420?mt=8 on this thread yet. This thing is amazing and I always end up with some really nice syncopated rhythms to expand upon in the DAW.

He just needs to implement some crafty way to overdub and it'd be my go to app.

Wish there were ANY decent music making apps for my surface rt tablet cos my girlfriend hogs the ipad :p

Yeah man Samplr is really cool, someone posted it in another iOS thread here.

If you mean the regular Surface RT tablets with the ARM CPU's and the custom Windows, not that I've seen. The Pro version of those with the full Windows 8 is where that action will likely happen , probably with regular desktop apps.

Without a standardized low latency audio system in place I figure a lot of iOS developer's might not port to the ARM CPU RT's. Now that Android has made strides in low latency I could see more iOS ports in the future on those devices.
By Ocular Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm
Beatmaker 2 just got updated with Audiobus support! :nod:
By SILIS101 Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:46 pm
Has anyone used Auria for recording a beat and then laying down vocals?

I'm really interested in trying this. I haven't bought the app yet.

If anyone has or knows about the workflow of recording in this program, can you write up some of your good/bad experiences?

There's a lot of hype over this app with rock bands using it, but none from a hip hop perspective.
By Ocular Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 pm
Interested in this myself, so I've been lurking on the Auria forum. Seems like it would be better to do the production and recording work in Beatmaker 2 or Cubasis (when they fix the undo bug) and use Auria as a post-production tool. Or import finished tracks from one of those two apps and just do vocals in Auria as it has punch-in capabilities.

No idea though as I haven't used it yet. It just seems that performance issues vary quite a bit from user to user. Unfortunately, I don't know of any members here that have Auria.
By Metatron72 Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm
I speak to someone in a Facebook music group who has Auria and rates it well. She runs a studio that does rock mostly and some synth stuff, but far from hip hop or sample based stuff.

So yeah I think Ocular's on the money here. I think the draw to a crowd like us with Auria is a solid portable summing engine and the fact that a few top shelf VST's have been ported. I mean PSP Audioware in my iPad....YES PLEASE :nod:

It does seem to really want an iPad 3 and really the 4. Personally all my stuff actually goes down at home, so I'll likely not require Auria or Cubasis but I really see the allure and it's amazing we got this far in the just under 3 years iPads have been out,
By inflict3 Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 am
looks like i better update bm2 on my ipod touch,.. man, im still holding out getting an ipad :WTF: :Sigh: its not the money, i dont know why i just dont want one :hmmm: so there is really a way to hook cf cards up to em??
By Metatron72 Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 am
inflict3 wrote:looks like i better update bm2 on my ipod touch,.. man, im still holding out getting an ipad :WTF: :Sigh: its not the money, i dont know why i just dont want one :hmmm: so there is really a way to hook cf cards up to em??

I think it's Coolderb who has jailbreak and an app that allows mounting of HD's through a hub. Seems like that's the only way you would transfer to an external CF reader.

It was BM1 and then 2 that me made get iPad. People on Gen 1 iPad were like it's just a giant iPhone with no phone. I was like yeah that's all I want actually.

On my 2nd iPad, no regrets, so many amazing apps have come out in the last two years and especially this last year.
By inflict3 Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:29 am
yea, i almost got one while making beats on bm2 on my ipod, i was set to get one and i stopped by a friends house and he had one with all kinda music apps on it. i **** with bm2 on it and it is way better with the bigger screen and the bigger pads, but the ipad just felt soooo cheap in my hands, i mean it feels cheap as hell..

maybe the mpcfly will help the cheap feel go away, but i really dont wanna support nuakai anymore,. too bad someone else dont make a ipad controller that hooks to it like the fly
By Metatron72 Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:08 am
I don't know If I find the iPad to feel cheap. Like I sure don't want to bang it on stuff or drop it, and it's a flat piece of glass so especially with pads in apps it does feel kind of weird. But not cheap to me just kind of bizarre as my brain is trained to a box on a table with real controls. I realize this is all obvious stuff I'm saying, I just trip a little how the iPad is it's own weird but cool thing.

I don't need the portability so much so I use the Alesis dock and the CCK. I like iPad with a MIDI controller or even an MPC controlling the apps. I use the pads obviously and then it's convenient to just use the iPad for the knobs without having to map them, and that option is there too.

I think the Fly is just too damn overpriced. Make it sub $200 and they'll fly out the doors. But yeah you're right inflict3 it the only portable option that does MIDI/Pads and changes the ergonomics of the iPad to tactile plus touch, and you could go harder on the pads.
By SILIS101 Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm
After months of contemplating, I dropped the $50 bucks and got Auria. I'm using it with the Akai EIE (NOT PRO) w/o a usb powered hub. Ipad4 w/ lightening to USB adapter.
I recorded straight from my MPC1000 into the EIE in stereo.
I hooked my CAD condenser mic to the EIE (phantom power) and layed down some verses.
Threw in some scratches and some effects.
Uploaded all the tracks (entire project) into dropbox. Then, had my friend drop it in Acid for mix & master.

I never touched a computer. Easy, simple. No crashes. Completely mobile setup. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Happy as f.ck with it
By Ocular Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm
^^^So almost a month later, what are your impressions of it now?

I just recently bought Cubasis. Everything runs smooth as silk on an ipad 4. It has a great UI and it's sequencer is the most intuitive one I've used on an ipad. It's only 48 ppqn but that is still double compared to BM2. I've been using BM2 as a sample module to get around the missing capability of assigning samples to the pads and keys. Also, pads and keys have velocity :-D . Feel free to ask me any questions about it. Pros and cons compared to BM2, etc etc. All in all I feel its 50bux well spent.
By SILIS101 Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:08 pm
^^^
I'm still diggin Auria, I use it for just recording and haven't dived into using any effects. I mix and master in Acid.
I really like the effects and EQ on Auria but I just don't need them, plus they are a little bit CPU heavy and I don't want to rely too much on my ipad for all the fancy sh.t anyway.

On a separate note:
This Audiobus 'movement' is insane.
By Ocular Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:29 pm
^^Good to read. The Audiobus movement really is something special. There's another app similar to AB called Jack, which has it's roots in Linux and is free. However it's still in it's infancy and almost nothing supports it. The developers of Sunrizer said they would but we'll see. Should be interesting.

Also, Arturia's iMini just updated with Audibus support and midi in, as well as went on sale for $9.99 (usually $19.99). Don't sleep!!!