Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By distortedtekno Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:19 pm
I'm making this the official iPad Pro for music production topic, as it's just been released and it would be a good place to complie some info, share user experiences, etc.
I'll be adding info here and hope others will contribute as well. I don't own one yet. But I'm considering it, and hopefully this topic will help others out as well.
By Coz Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:20 am
I'm definitely interested in it as a mobile scratchpad. I'm not a huge fan of laptops so this could be a nice secondary option to my main computer. :popcorn:
By distortedtekno Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 am
I was never a big fan of laptops either. Touch screens are more fun, and there's not much available for touch screen laptops either. The iPad offers a lot of good apps. I barely even use my Mac Mini anymore. Since the announcement of the iPad Pro and it's release the other day, I've been even more interested in persuing this route. I thought about Ableton and Push 2. But for that kind of money, I'd really be better off with the iPad Pro when I can save up the cash. Considering the price of the apps being much cheaper than a DAW and VST plugins, you'll definitely get more variety for the money.
By Coz Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:27 am
I've tried to get into Ableton multiple times but it leaves me cold for some reason. It just doesn't gel with me and an added controller doesn't entice me either.

I've not seen anything in regular DAW land that's comparable to this sort of app.

By mr_debauch Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:59 am
that actually looks like a decent app to have on a tablet... it doesn't look overly fiddly or tedious (the way i feel about caustic for example) \

but here is my thing about a lot of these apps, i want to see more than making 2 bars... i want to see the chorus variation, verse, bridge, etc... i want to see a song built from this stuff and i want to see the ability to add on top of the entire song and not just by a pattern variation you copy and paste together..... because this shit is supposed to be for making songs, not just a quick 16.
By Coz Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:35 am
mr_debauch wrote:but here is my thing about a lot of these apps, i want to see more than making 2 bars... i want to see the chorus variation, verse, bridge, etc... i want to see a song built from this stuff and i want to see the ability to add on top of the entire song and not just by a pattern variation you copy and paste together..... because this shit is supposed to be for making songs, not just a quick 16.

I think it needs to be taken for what it is at this point... a relatively new front in music making. The more powerful the hardware, the more likely it is that companies will code more capable apps for it. Cubasis already acts as a pretty nice DAW for the iPad, so that's the hub I'd be looking to tap into as I use Cubase Pro. If you start with a solid piece of hardware, the software seems to follow.
By mr_debauch Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:20 am
listen i have an atari st with cubase on it (well on floppy disk at least).. i have an athalon xp 2600 1.98ghz single core with SX on it... we have been able to do more than patterns since forever when it comes to computers... it is no longer "this point", the ipad has been around for 6 years now.
By Coz Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:12 pm
I wouldn't want to go back to the dark days of using Cubase on the ST or even running SX for that matter. The current Cubase is lightyears ahead of them, and obviously some of that tech filters down into Cubasis.

You can make full tracks with the iPad if that's what you want, but reviewers of apps tend to just noodle around with 4 bar loops. I wouldn't expect (or want) a full desktop experience when using a touchscreen though. I don't think they're geared up for replacing regular computers for heavy CPU demanding applications like producing full mixes.
By mr_debauch Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:35 pm
yeah you are probably right... well you know what.. having midi in and some of those synths seems really decent (like a hardware VST in the studio almost) but yeah the demo people don't often show the song building part of those apps.

and ipad aside, android has pretty good hardware too... it doesn't matter which platform.
By Rokgod Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:18 am
I just got the iPad Pro, thing is awesome, I have it controlling my vsts instruments, plugins. I have the Mpc Touch controlling all my synth, sampler, dj, and instrument apps, its crazy. Incorporating it into your music studio setup makes the music process way more fun and hands on and very intuitive, you get new ideas and it feels like such a futuristic and fast workflow to do anything you want.