Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By distortedtekno Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:26 am
Just as we all used PCs and Macs with DAWs, using their instruments as sound modules, are anyone doing the same with their iPads?

I know it's nothing new. But sometimes it's easier to hook it all up the oldschool way instead of trying to do everything in the iPad and having to deal with all the quirks that come along with it.

I spent more time troubleshooting things than actually getting anything done. So I might just keep it simple, fire up the MPC, and sync it up with some of my favorite iOS synths tonight. I bought one of those cheap USB-MIDI cables a few weeks ago and I have the camera connection cable for the USB. It worked well when I first tried it. But now I wanna test out which synths work best slaved to the MPC.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else is doing the same, and how you have it all set up. I wanna know what apps you like using as a sound module with your MPC too. I'll add more info after I test what works best for me after tonight.
By distortedtekno Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:04 am
Before I go further, I should mention that the cheap $5 USB-MIDI cables are pretty noisey and notes are sticking in all the apps I tried. You're better off going for the M-Audio Uno or something better. But I should also borrow the one my brother has to make sure it's up to par.
By distortedtekno Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:25 am
Update: I borrowed an M-Audio Uno from my brother and everything is solid. No more noise when I press the MPC's pads and no stuck notes on my apps. The $5 USB-MIDI cables are garbage. Stick with the M-Audio Uno or any leading brand name that's reputable. I'm definitely gonna buy the Uno after I give this one back to my brother.

Most apps with MIDI in should work well as a sound module for the MPC. I like Thor because it reduces the keyboard for more screen real estate. But the one thing I don't like about Thor is there's no MIDI clock to sync with it's external sequencer. That's not much of a big deal since it's not like a TB-303 clone where I'd specifically want to be able to use an internal sequencer for accents, ties, and slides.

All in all, I'd say for the past year that I've bought a lot of apps for my iPad and they offer tremendous value for the money. I wouldn't get a fraction of what I have if I spent the same amount of money buying hardware or even VSTs or REs. A lot of these apps don't have any hardware equivilants either. Being able to run all my iOS synths alongside my MPC and even my DAW without any issues has made everything worthwhile.
By STG-23 Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:24 am
The Roland Duo Capture Ex does a great Job with the ipad too

I also tried the Tascam IUR2, which is "designed" for the ipad, but i couldn`t recommend it
By distortedtekno Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:04 pm
STG-23 wrote:The Roland Duo Capture Ex does a great Job with the ipad too

I also tried the Tascam IUR2, which is "designed" for the ipad, but i couldn`t recommend it

That's a good price for an audio/MIDI interface. I don't have an audio interface for my ipad yet, so I'm gonna keep the Roland in mind. Thanks. 8)
By Rokgod Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:50 am
I just got the i-pad pro. I dont know what kind of ipad you're using but you don't need an audio interface for your iPad(do need one for your computer tho obviously), and you dont need iPad midi cables or any audio cables or any of that crap, all you need is usb/lightning/bluetooth. Look up apps like MIDI IO or studiomux or midimux, in conjunction with audio bus... you can control your iPad with the your daw, and you can control your daw with the iPad, and all sorts of things between your computer and iPad. I've been using the ipad as a sound module, a midi controller, control surface, to play chords, arpeggios, chord progressions, to scratch and mix audio, create quick musical ideas on the fly with different synths and such. The iPad is just another tools like a keyboard, mpc, turntables, etc...Everything ends up in my DAW anyways. Saying this thing is versatile in a music production/recording studio is an understatement. I can't believe I waited till recently to get one. :worthy: