Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By 6/8 Stanley Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:56 pm
Never heard of attenuator until last week. Got a multitrack recorder app for the moto phone.
Got a 3.5mm TRRS to 3- RCA cable. One rca goes from mixer left (mono) record out to TRRS jack on phone. Other 2 rca's go to mixer stereo playback in. Earbuds go to headphone jack on the mixer. So I can record a track on the phone app and then record more tracks while listening to the other tracks (unless I mute them in the app). Using condenser mic. External effect box from insert on mic channel.
So damn hard to set levels for the phone. Volume on the phone needs to be set high to get decent sound. Mic channel gain needs to be set about 4 to get good signal on mixer meter. Record out gain needs to be very low to keep from clipping in the app. There's only a tiny twist of the knob left to adjust audio signal going to phone. VU meter in the app is too small. VU meter phone apps all seem to be for measuring ambient external noise which is useless and I doubt if they work inside my recorder app.
Found a bunch of little boxes with 2 or 4 channels and a volume knob, about $50 to $1350. They do up to 50dB pad which is OK. Don't want expensive since this is just for sonic scratchpad not serious recording. Wonder about the passive preamp/attenuator spec though. They all seem made to use between preamp or interface and power amp, or power amp to speakers, not mixer to phone. So maybe the impedence is all wrong. The beatbuddy type attenuated cables won't work since they won't go to mixer playback channel. Plus I want stereo channels in case I need to pad stereo channels going into zoom handheld recorder.
I spent most of last two nights looking up impedance mismatch but it's all useless or over my head. I read something about attenuator impedance mismatch being bad but that's about all I got out of it.
By 6/8 Stanley Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:37 pm
Hope I'm overthinking it. Don't want to fry the mic in my new phone. Wondering about the about 2V bias voltage for the headset mic that's supposed to plug in there. Connecting output to output is said to cause smoke but my TRRS to 3-rca cable seemed to work ok, just too loud. I saw a diagram for line in to phone TRRS adapter: https://www.epanorama.net/blog/2014/09/15/android-device-external-mic-wiring/ that shows a cap to stop the bias voltage I guess. The little boxes like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32882093546.html seem all wrong for impedance mismatch since they're supposed to go in front of power amp or speakers (saw an amazon review that said it worked well to reduce line level going to zoom handy recorder but amazon review isn't expert opinion). Can't find complete spec for the headset buddy cables. Also they have about 20dB attenuation. Mixer rec outs are 10dB (down 3 dB or 7dB with the rec pot ) so don't think they'd work. Read that the phone TRRS jack is -50dB. Maybe OK with dynamic mic but I'm using large diaphragm condenser w 48V phantom.

Seems like any box with a volume knob and the right input jacks would be OK. Please don't get the idea that anything in my post is technically correct. I'm guessing and copying stuff I read.
By 6/8 Stanley Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:49 pm
Finally making progress with this. Got a spectrum analyzer app and see the previous recordings were clipped like I thought. Got a little hifi volume knob box and a new recording app that has a good VU meter to watch while recording. Need to EQ out some street noise, might have to record the noise first to set the EQ before recording so I don't have to EQ it post. Maybe you need spectrum analyzer, VU and good 10 band or PEQ equalizer all on the recording app screen at once but it's too much on the phone screen so that app probably doesn't exist.

I'll say what I'm using after using it a while. In case anybody wants to record from mixer to phone.