Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By dabmeister Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:39 pm
I take it that very few are into external file storage since I don't see much around here about computer stuff.

I personally have and use an external NAS (WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra) to save my programs and important files. I also use free options for cloud services too like Dropbox, but just as a means of having another available storage option at my disposal.

Anybody else up to speed on any type of NAS service?
By dabmeister Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:39 pm
Lampdog wrote:I have a Drobo, rarely used.

bitermc wrote:I have a Synology ds-something, It have been turned on for around ten years. A bit slow on the web interface, but does the job.

Yeah, I've had mine for 4 years this month. And at some point I'll eventually upgrade to something better, but for now it serves its purpose. The biggest benefit for me is it helps out if I'm away from home and need to access or share something, like samples or stems.
By Lampdog Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:12 pm
Completely understand for cloud purposes.

I just load up iPad and go. I'm not heavy into production/traveling so I keep it at that.
But, for years it works at home and never cared to upgrade to anything cloud. It's a dinosaur I know.
By dabmeister Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:26 pm
Lampdog wrote:Completely understand for cloud purposes.

I just load up iPad and go. I'm not heavy into production/traveling so I keep it at that.
But, for years it works at home and never cared to upgrade to anything cloud. It's a dinosaur I know.

Yeah, I feel you Lamp! I only wish my life was a little more simplistic these days due to me running a small business. I guess once the weather turns cold I'll look forward to working more with my music production. Until then, it's just wishful thinking... :roll: :lol:
By Lampdog Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:46 am
A dj business (I read the other thread with the subs, yr ago?? Yep, you have a real need for this. It’s necessary
By dabmeister Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:03 am
Lampdog wrote:A dj business (I read the other thread with the subs, yr ago?? Yep, you have a real need for this. It’s necessary

Actually it's outdoor power equipment, small engines. mowers, etc. The DJ and music stuff ain't quite made it to the forefront of making $$$. But hopefully I can switch roles where I can someday do the writing/composing full time.
By retro Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:30 am
I have a few that I'm running at home (Synology)

1. Sync - Synology provides a few tools for syncing across multiple devices. Mobile, tablet, PC, Mac. Good for mirroring sessions across multiple devices, as well as other things.

2. Cloud Sync - Connect your cloud storage to the device for easier management. Google, Box, Drop Box, OneNote. This allows you to see what's in your cloud storage as if it were local. You can also map the cloud storage for local/remote access through the Synology. Basically, a better way to leverage your cloud storage.

3. Shared Folders - This one is obvious. Bonus points for the ability to point your MPC locations to folder shares. One centralized location for your sample library. Startes to make a bit more sense when you combine with 1 and 2. Currently, all devices and Daw's that can see a shared folder pull from one location for stored samples.

4. Backup - Synology provides automatic backup solutions. Work's in conjunction with the sync application. Your NAS will act as centralized storage, and your endpoints (PC, Laptop, etc) will stay in sync based on the NAS. Example: Session started on Mac. Saved to a location that is synced to the Synology. Synology will now push the session to all devices in sync as soon as they touch a network, including remote devices. Great for remote collaboration.

5. USB Transfer - Synology has a tool for automatic backup of attached USB storage devices. Attach a device and it will dump the data to a specified location within your storage pool. This is configurable..

So many uses for personal cloud storage. Not just in a studio setting, but for everyday use. Removes the need to rely on paid services and allows you to leverage and merge all your storage devices with ease. This might sound like an advertisement for Synology, but that's what I use, so be it. QNAP offers exactly the same thing, but I've read about a few issues with their security stance.

Whatever you have, I suggest taking some time out of your schedule to configure.