Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By ONE Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:55 pm
I'm having an annoyance with bouncing that needs clearing up.

The other night when I was trying to bounce...it would only bounce a certain small portion of the tracks.

It would skip past my intro...than start right at the verse. I started clicking and un clicking stuff...then it did the opposite. It would only bounce the intro.

I finally got it so it bounces right from the start of my song, but now when I bounce it keeps going way past any recorded material and goes to the end of the screen. I got like 4 or 5 minutes of blank space after all my bounces.

What's going on here?

How can I get Logic to bounce just what is recorded from start to finish?
By Clint Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59 am
Obvious question, but have you set the L + R locators at the beginning and end of the songs? And made sure none of your parts are muted/ solo'd etc?
By ONE Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:34 am
clint246clint wrote:Obvious question, but have you set the L + R locators at the beginning and end of the songs? And made sure none of your parts are muted/ solo'd etc?

Mutes/solos are fine.

L+R locators...no.

Didn't know you had to set up locators. I bounced before with no issue. That's why I'm confused. Didn't have the problem till I actually started automating tracks.

How do I set these locators and what do they do?
By Clint Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:07 am
Using the L+R locators is pretty basic stuff. Its absolutely vital for looping, bouncing, overdubs, punching-in etc. Time for some reading?
By ONE Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:47 am
Edit:

Actually, what I'm doing is not "bouncing." Bouncing seems to be working fine.

What I meant is: File-->Export-->All Tracks as audio files

I'm trying to send my basic tracked out beat as WAV files for an MC to lay vocals over, and structure his song with.

I got it figured out now. Everything as far as bouncing and exporting is working how I want.

I knew what the L + R locators are and their function...I just knew it as "the green bar," and use it mostly for cycle mode.

I'm new to DAW's so I'm not fluent in the terminology for things yet. I thought you were referring to something I haven't seen before in the program.
By deegood Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:12 am
can't figure how to use the arpeggiator or vocoder in logic express 8- the manual sucks-imo. any help? thanks
By Clint Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:29 pm
deegood wrote:can't figure how to use the arpeggiator or vocoder in logic express 8- the manual sucks-imo. any help? thanks

Never tried either to be honest. But I will next session and maybe report back!
By dafoost Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 am
make sure when you bounce, it says 'start,' start at 1 1 1 1

finish wherever your song ends, it'll be something like 'end,' 150 1 1 1
By MPC 4 ME Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:16 am
I don't think there is a classic vocoder in Logic. There is a vocoder synth, however.
As for the arp, you need to set this up the environment. Navigate to click and ports and there you create a new arp device together with a cable switcher. connect some stuff (youll figure it out) and soon enough you can enable/disable the arp with the cable switcher. You can also create chains with transformers, chord memorizers etc.. The click and ports page in the environment is really powerful and tbh, very easy to use. Create devices -> connect cables. You can also for example create instrument devices (with their own ports and channels) for your external gear and they will show up in the library which opens automatically if you create a new midi track in the arranger. If you're done setting up everything, save your project as a template to make your life even more easy!
By Clint Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:19 am
deegood wrote:can't figure how to use the arpeggiator or vocoder in logic express 8- the manual sucks-imo. any help? thanks

Some tutorials which may be of interest here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=104773
By deegood Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:28 pm
thanks a million clint- very helpful-i managed to get the arp going. i gotta spend more time exploring these features inside logic. I'm going to check out the rest of those tutorials too-highly appreciated!!!!!
By itslikezacanduh Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 pm
maybe someone could shed some light into a situation i'm having.

i use the 2500 and am trying to track my beats into logic 8 through my motu ultralite. i have midi going out of the mpc, into the ultralite, and out of the ultralite into the mpc. i also have the audio outs going into the ultralite.

now, what i'm trying to do is have logic begin the mpc's playback, and record at the same time. after several hours on multiple attemps, with matching tempos and frame rates, i'm able to achieve this when syncing the mpc to logic's midi clock. but i want logic to sync to the mpc's mtc instead so i can preserve that groove. after searching, trying, searching and more trying, i can't get it right.

on the general tab of the synchronization options in project settings, when i have "auto enable external sync" checked, logic tells the mpc to start playing, and logic says it is recording, but it isn't recording, after i stop it logic didn't record anything. does anyone know if what i'm trying to do is possible?

i'm using jjos2. any info or direction provided would be much appreciated. i'm not generally one to post my issues on forums, but i'm getting sick of not being able to do this and i feel like it's keeping me from recording anything.

thanks!
By Clint Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 pm
itslikezacanduh wrote:i use the 2500 and am trying to track my beats into logic 8 through my motu ultralite. i have midi going out of the mpc, into the ultralite, and out of the ultralite into the mpc. i also have the audio outs going into the ultralite.

now, what i'm trying to do is have logic begin the mpc's playback, and record at the same time. after several hours on multiple attemps, with matching tempos and frame rates, i'm able to achieve this when syncing the mpc to logic's midi clock. but i want logic to sync to the mpc's mtc instead so i can preserve that groove. after searching, trying, searching and more trying, i can't get it right...i'm getting sick of not being able to do this and i feel like it's keeping me from recording anything.

If you are simply tracking audio into Logic from your MPC, synchronisation is not necessary. Nor is it necessary if you want to transfer midi from the MPC to Logic.

There is another way to work this and it's very simple.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=97274

The link was already posted in this very thread. Were you paying attention? :wink:
By itslikezacanduh Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:34 pm
clint246clint wrote:
itslikezacanduh wrote:i use the 2500 and am trying to track my beats into logic 8 through my motu ultralite. i have midi going out of the mpc, into the ultralite, and out of the ultralite into the mpc. i also have the audio outs going into the ultralite.

now, what i'm trying to do is have logic begin the mpc's playback, and record at the same time. after several hours on multiple attemps, with matching tempos and frame rates, i'm able to achieve this when syncing the mpc to logic's midi clock. but i want logic to sync to the mpc's mtc instead so i can preserve that groove. after searching, trying, searching and more trying, i can't get it right...i'm getting sick of not being able to do this and i feel like it's keeping me from recording anything.

If you are simply tracking audio into Logic from your MPC, synchronisation is not necessary. Nor is it necessary if you want to transfer midi from the MPC to Logic.

There is another way to work this and it's very simple.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=97274

The link was already posted in this very thread. Were you paying attention? :wink:

i was. and i've posted in that thread before. but it still doesn't answer my question.

guess it's a lost cause :roll: