Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By shimmyshimmy Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:51 pm
Hi. I have Logic for few weeks already and I must say this program drives me nuts. I was searching in manual but this thing has **** 1000 pages. I need to set my loop not apple loop but my loops and to do that I have to zoom in to max to set my loop correctly 'cus everytime I'm trying to do it with normal zoom it is always slighlty ahead of next bar (next bar where it is supposed to end) and when I press Loop every next loop is even more ahead. I've seen Matti Shwartz on his video he got it done with few clicks and I don't even know where to start, it is really basic operation. I belive Logic is great program, but very noob unfriendly.
I remember when they used to say that MPC4000 was so hard and in comparision to Logic MPC4K was piece of cake.
Time consuming, that's my point.
By EVPS Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:01 pm
Are you trying to set the tempo of your track to your loop, or adjust the tempo of your loop to your track?

One way is to place your mouse on the right hand bottom corner of your region, as if you were going to re-size the region, then hold the option (labeled 'alt') key and drag to fit the correct number of bars and logic will adjust the tempo of the loop for you. Depending how far the stretch is will depend how well this method works.

Does that help?
By shimmyshimmy Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:58 am
Nah, that's not it. I'll try it explain it better. I track the beat from MPC to Logic be it for example main outs.
This is my MPC sequence:
1 1 000, 2 1 000, 3 1 000, 4 1 000, 5 1 000
S___________________________E

S - start, E - end

Now I'm tracking out beat from MPC to Logic:
1 1 000, 2 1 000, 3 1 000, 4 1 000, 5 2 540, 6 1 000
S________________________________TE

S - Start, TE - is where I've pressed stop

As you see my loop ends on 5 2 540 and what I want to do is make it back to 5 1 000 that would give me 4 bar loop (then press loop in Logic, so it will loop CORRECTLY). I know my beat BPM so I don't need any timestretching or pitch-shifting. I know Logic sequencer looks like bar/beat/division/tick but that's not really important how it looks 'cus in the end it is the same if I'm correct 4x240=960.

I'll upload screens so you can see it visualy.

Before zoom:

After zoom:
By EVPS Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:28 pm
So you're talking about re-sizing audio regions, am not at my daw right now but will check later for any short cuts.

The only thing that comes to mind right now is setting your left and right locators initially to be the exact number of bars you need before you record you audio - that way nothing is recorded past the right locator. This would work using the cycle mode as well (withou needing to setup the left and right locators just tell logic to cycle after a certain number of bars)

But yeah will get back to you with any short cuts for your already recoded regions.
By Clint Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:12 pm
shimmyshimmy wrote:Nah, that's not it. I'll try it explain it better. I track the beat from MPC to Logic be it for example main outs.
This is my MPC sequence:
1 1 000, 2 1 000, 3 1 000, 4 1 000, 5 1 000
S___________________________E

S - start, E - end

Now I'm tracking out beat from MPC to Logic:
1 1 000, 2 1 000, 3 1 000, 4 1 000, 5 2 540, 6 1 000
S________________________________TE

S - Start, TE - is where I've pressed stop

As you see my loop ends on 5 2 540 and what I want to do is make it back to 5 1 000 that would give me 4 bar loop

Use the BEATMAP function in Logic (read your manual!) to sort this out, its easy to do. I wont go into detail about what to do as the manual explains it well. Use hits (or notes) which you know were exactly on the beat when you programmed the MPC and start from the very first note in your beat whatever it is!

Beatmapping allows you to preserve the MPC's groove (timing variations) on additional midi tracks recorded in Logic so that they sound as if they were also recorded on the MPC. It creates what is known as a 'groove template', thus allowing you to edit, copy and paste midi regions around like you normally would in a DAW without messing with your track alignment. The Logic metronome will also now be in pefect time, without moving any notes as if by magic!

For the techs out there, Logic does this by creating subtle tempo changes that put the Logic sequencer in time with your MPC notes without moving them. A look at the Logic tempo track will clearly show the timing variations of the MPC which has its own natural 'swing'. Rock-solid it aint but its more natural sounding than a rigid DAW sequencer and is one of the main reasons why we all love the sound of them.......
By NaychaBoy Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:27 pm
im new to mac and i dont have a copy of a manual. how can i set my slash key as the default for split regions. it doesnt work now. after loading my audio wave and hitting the slash key while the sample plays, it just makes this stupid noise. no chops. used the search function and found nothing. help me out. peace.
By hiphoppa Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 am
NaychaBoy wrote:im new to mac and i dont have a copy of a manual. how can i set my slash key as the default for split regions. it doesnt work now. after loading my audio wave and hitting the slash key while the sample plays, it just makes this stupid noise. no chops. used the search function and found nothing. help me out. peace.

OPTION+SLASH Key
By NaychaBoy Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:35 pm
hiphoppa wrote:
NaychaBoy wrote:im new to mac and i dont have a copy of a manual. how can i set my slash key as the default for split regions. it doesnt work now. after loading my audio wave and hitting the slash key while the sample plays, it just makes this stupid noise. no chops. used the search function and found nothing. help me out. peace.

OPTION+SLASH Key

Yo, I've been tring it and it still isn't working. Could there be a setting that I need to change maybe? This is getting frustrating trying to chop with the scissors tool. Guess I'll have to stick to my handy dandy 2k
By Clint Mon May 03, 2010 12:42 pm
Logic Pro 9 Manual and resources

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/

Logic Pro 8 Manual and resources (scroll to bottom of page 8 or use the search manuals field)

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#macosandsoftware

Official Apple Logic Pro Forum

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1201