Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By Clint Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:58 am
Why complicate things for yourself?

When all else fails do this...

1. Press RECORD in Logic.
2. Hit PLAY on the MPC.
3. Guess what happens?

Old school tape-recorder style. ???
By mightydoosh Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm
it dont work mate, the MPC1000 dont sync to logic 7, trust me ive been trying long enough. it dont matter how many times folk go through the supposed procedure it dont work. i know all about mtc, mmc, midi clock, smpte and any other sync method you can think of, the 1000 only uses midi clock anyway so why folks bang on about anything else ive no idea (not suggesting anyone in this thread did that).

when you do get it set up correctly, it always misses a portiion of the first hit so you could never line your stems up properly (unless you had a 'dummy' hit on stems where no hit on the first beat ocurred, but then you'd still have theproblem of missing portions of stems that do have a hit on the first beat)

dont waste time trying, it dont work, just another akai flaw. as already said just gotta do old skool tape style recording.
By JaeOne3345 Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:33 pm
Use MPC to Control a Multitimbral Instrument In Logic

This method will allow you to use an mpc to control once instance of a muti timbral instrument in Logic on/from multiple midi tracks.

-Load a multi timbral instrument like battery in a software instrument track
-Set your cells that will be used in battery to their own midi channels. You could substitute battery with any multi timbral midi instrument, just make sure you set up your channels to control different cells/patches.
-Create a *new track with next midi channel* for as many different midi channels you need in your multi (in my case, Battery) Lets say I am using channels 1, 2 and 3 for battery cells. So I create 2 more tracks using the new with next midi channel function. I now have 3 tracks all pointing to battery.
-Using the Logic inspector, set each of these tracks to the midi channels used in the Battery cells. (track 1 = midi channel 1, etc)
-Arm each track so that you can hear each instrument

Remember to use the demix check box under project settings-recording

You will then be able to trigger/monitor/record different battery cells that will go on their own track, from ONE instance of battery.

With this example, remember that you used channels 1-3, so you can't use these for any other software instruments or mpc tracks.

*This can be applied to any multitimbral instrument, not just Battery*
By JaeOne3345 Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:36 pm
mightydoosh wrote:when you do get it set up correctly, it always misses a portiion of the first hit so you could never line your stems up properly (unless you had a 'dummy' hit on stems where no hit on the first beat ocurred, but then you'd still have theproblem of missing portions of stems that do have a hit on the first beat)

This is why you insert a blank bar at the beginning of your song/sequence in the mpc so that it allows the mpc and logic to sync up properly. It works.
By JaeOne3345 Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:41 pm
clint246clint wrote:If you are simply tracking audio into Logic from your MPC, synchronisation is not necessary. Nor is it necessary if you want to transfer midi from the MPC to Logic.

It may not be necessary but it sure is helpful to have mpc sequence line up exactly with the bar/measure markers in Logic/Pro Tools/whatever. This is especially the case when using a crude sequencer like the sp-1200, which drifts on its own clock.

This way you can easily move multiple tracks (kick, hat, snare, etc) that may not have sounds that all start on "the one" and keep them all lined up and following the grid
By Clint Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:49 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:
clint246clint wrote:If you are simply tracking audio into Logic from your MPC, synchronisation is not necessary. Nor is it necessary if you want to transfer midi from the MPC to Logic.

It may not be necessary but it sure is helpful to have mpc sequence line up exactly with the bar/measure markers in Logic/Pro Tools/whatever. This is especially the case when using a crude sequencer like the sp-1200, which drifts on its own clock.

This way you can easily move multiple tracks (kick, hat, snare, etc) that may not have sounds that all start on "the one" and keep them all lined up and following the grid

I covered this situation earlier in the thread. As did Blue Haze I think it was...
By suice7 Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:54 pm
hi there,
as i am pretty new to actually recording beats (ex-software user) i haven´t got the oppertunity to sync and record multiple tracks at the moment. (gonna buy either alesis master control or something similar as soon as i got the money..)
i was bouncing each track inside the mpc 1k and transferred it, but thats not really what i want to do till i got the interface.
so i tried recording each track with count in click in order to be able to "sync" the tracks inside logic 8.
but i can´t find a tab to transient function (not really used to using logic)....

can anyone help me doin´it that way please?

thanks in advance,

s

Re:

By MPC 4 ME Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:39 pm
yAtch wrote:i know a bit about logic... im logic 7 and 8 certified through apple. I havent used it much lately though but ill try to think of some tips..

one tip for cutting up samples that can be useful.. with an audio region go to the local Audio menu (Audio pulldown in the arrange window) and then Strip Silence. from there you can adjust the sensitivity to where it cuts the region into slices.. based on the "silent" parts.. you can then drag the samples into the EXS24 sampler. and yep. pretty simple.

And since EXS automatically maps the samples and you can load EXS kits into Ultrabeat, UB suddenly becomes, yep yep, pretty simple as well!
By o_O Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:04 am
MPC 4 ME wrote:I am still trying to figure out how to quantize MIDI data with a certain strength... Anyone figured that one out yet? I feel silly asking this cause its probably something straightforwrd

In the inspector at the top left, in the Quantize area, Right-Click on the word "Quantize" and enable, "Extended Region Parameters" Then you can adjust the strength, swing, etc. It is fantastic.

I have a ton of other tips I will try to post up, and may even make a workflow video to try and show them in practice.

AWESOME THREAD!
By o_O Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:39 am
deegood wrote:can't figure how to use the arpeggiator or vocoder in logic express 8- the manual sucks-imo. any help? thanks

Check out these videos from sflogicninja about the environment:
Environment 1 of 2 (Watch Part 1 & 2)
Environment 2 of 2

This will show you how to use an Arpeggiator, it may seem difficult, but it is quite simple in practice. Questions, let me know.

There is a Vocoder plugin built into Logic as well, the EVOC20 PS, you will find it where you normally find plugins, and of course, sflogicninja has a great video on that as well:
Sidechaining Part 2 - Vocoder

Check out all of his videos if you can they are fantastic.

Here is one on using MPC quantization right in Logic:
Logic Groove Templates: MPC

If anyone has any questions about this let me know, I can even just upload a template that is ready to go, in fact, here ya go:

Empty Logic Template with MPC quantization
By o_O Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:36 am
Just thought i would get this thread going again with a Question.

I am looking for a good way to get a highly filtered drum sound, or even possibly a good place to sample from, specifically with the kick, there is that specific sound of a filtered kick that I just love and really want to know the best way about doing it.

Here is an example from Damu the magnificent:

Damu in Washington Square Park
By EVPS Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:09 pm
Just a tip I have come up with for Logic Pro 9:

Sampling a Hardware instrument the easy way.

Crete a Midi Track to send midi notes to your hardware, create a midi region and draw in the notes you want to sample.

Create an Audio Track to accept the output of your Hardware.

Hit record and let Logic and the Hardware do there things.

When thats done use Logics new 'Convert to Sampler Track' feature.

Assuming you sample every note of a synth this would be the only thing you'd need to do, but if you have done 2 or 3 notes per octave you will still need to go in and edit the keymap.

Just sampled my Moog Little Phatty in this way and it works really well!