Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By yAtch Fri May 02, 2008 11:29 pm
I've spent some time researching setting up the MPC with Logic back, and thought maybe it'd make sense to post that in here.

I use my MPC with Logic. The majority of the time I use logic just as a sound module and do all my sequencing in the MPC. I've gotten a few PMs about how to set this up, and it did take me a while to get things sorted out for my own set up, so maybe posting what I did here would help others.

Audio Midi Setup

go into AMS and add a devices

double click on the new device and select the manufacturer, model etc. this will auto fill everything else on its own.

You'll see arrows on each device. these are just your In/Out ports of each device. This is where you'll copy virtually how your gear is physically connected with MIDI cables. so drag from the Mbox out to the MPC, MPC out to Mbox etc.

the next step is kind of the tedious part, especially if you've never messed with Logic's environment.

I probably couldnt explain it any better than they did on this page.
http://www.beatclinic.co.uk/productiont ... ed/mpc.htm

that is Logic 7 but youll be doing the same thing in Logic 8.

Make sure you save this as a template. File > save as template. so you wont have to do this everytime.

when you have all that connected. go to your MPC
Since there are 16 MIDI channels just change between the 16 devices in the MPC. each corresponds to one of the 16 instrument tracks you created in Logic. load up an instrument on a track. switch to the corresponding MIDI track on the MPC. and that should be it.

you'll have to make your own program in the MPC in order to trigger logic chromatically. What I mean by this is.. you'll notice that if you load up a piano or something in logic, and try to play it chromatically on the pads the notes arent in order and will jump around. So you'll have to create a program in the MPC corresponding the the right MIDI notes, starting at 36, 37 etc across the pads.
By yAtch Sat May 03, 2008 7:09 am
theres a few settings that you have to change in both logic and the MPC when you're ready to track your sequence back in to Logic (if you want to). Im away for the weekend and I dont have my work computer on me, so if anyone wants to post that up thatd be cool. or else I can post it when i got back on monday.
By Juta Tue May 06, 2008 11:18 pm
looking forward to trying some of this stuff. Have any of you guys read Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8 (Apple Pro Training) by D. Nahmani??? It looks pretty cool.. im seriously considering buying it so i can get on some next level logic ish. Or just learn the basics haha :lol:
By yAtch Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 am
yea I've read the books my nahmani.. the logic 7 book was written by another guy, but the 8 book was just as good. I definitely recommend getting them. I went through the Logic training for both 7 and 8. If you do the lessons in the book and understand it, you can pass the cert test no prob. :D
By Juta Mon May 12, 2008 12:58 am
Alright now im about to go crazy. This logic ish is giving me graaay hair!!!
Every 5 seconds i get a popup error that says:"Error while trying to synchronize audio and midi."
How can i get it to stop? oh god... i guess its because my mpc is plugged in via midi but it isnt sending any messages or trying to sync.

help plaese
By yAtch Mon May 19, 2008 7:46 pm
sk, i got your PM, thought id answer it here so everyone else can get the info..

I currently dont have my stuff hooked up, so I wasnt able to try it out to double check. but from my memory i think this is what you do.

go to Preferences > MIDI > Sync
under MIDI Clock select Allow to send song position pointer...

click the Midi sync tab at the bottom
for MIDI Clock select destination 1 and ALL

under MIDI time code select transmit MTC. Destination ALL

on your MPC
go to your MIDI page.
Sync IN:
mode: MIDI Clock
Receive MMC: ON

press play and record in logic and it should record the midi data from the MPC into the corresponding logic tracks. if i remember correctly youd have to arm one track at a time and play/record. its been a while since ive done it so just try it out.

if you have audio you want to record out of the MPC. create a new audio track, and just hook things up like youd normally do.. play/record and there ya go. hope it all works
By Clint Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 am
Just seen this thread today.

I've dropped a few tips in the original 'Tips & Tricks' thread in the 4000 forum.

Using Logic as a sound module viewtopic.php?f=11&t=97274

Using the MPC to trigger chords viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97716

Explained clearly.

You dont need to touch the Logic Environment at all to use Logic as a sound module so check it out.
To trigger chords from pads requires you to use the Environment, but not much and its easy!

Enjoy!
Last edited by Clint on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By yAtch Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:41 am
clint246clint wrote:Just seen this thread today.

I've dropped a few tips in the original 'Tips & Tricks' thread in the 4000 forum.

Using Logic as a sound module http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=97274

Using the MPC to trigger chords http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97716

Explained clearly.

You dont need to touch the Logic Environment at all to use Logic as a sound module so check it out.
To trigger chords from pads requires you to use the Environment, but not much and its easy!

Enjoy!

nice! thanks for the tips. wish i knew that before I made my own template, was a pain hah. i'll try that when i get home
By Blue Haze Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:36 pm
These are the kind of posts that makes everyone`s day. Thanks Clint and the music bang on!!! :D