Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By UNIverse360 Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Good looking out on these posts fellas.. :)
This sure had made my day when I found this out when I read this yesterday.. BIG TIME!!
Had a knowledge of working with mods, midi and "Soft" sequencers like Cubase, but never considered the midi seq capibilities with my MPC or a ARS 10..
Made a quick sequence last night to test it out.. and Im in love all over again.. I have a slew of synths and the EX24 sampler is opening up my eyes to crazy possiblities of a extendend sampler in a MPC workflow..

Once again.. Thanks
By JUKE 179r Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:05 am
Bump!
I'm saving all the tips on here to a Word document for later reading.
Cheers fellas!
By Clint Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:18 am
I recently put in a request for for some more "Tips and Tricks" threads to become stickies. This would help a lot of users find the information they need. I think it will be done in the near future. :wink:
By Clint Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 am
^^^^^ Bump ! shit keeps dissappearing off the page when i need to find it. Tutor?
By Clint Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:06 am
clint246clint wrote:I recently put in a request for for some more "Tips and Tricks" threads to become stickies. This would help a lot of users find the information they need. I think it will be done in the near future. :wink:

Ok guys, the thread has now become a sticky by popular request for the benefit of the 1000's of MPC users who also use Logic as their DAW.

This is now the place to leave your tips and tricks or drop direct links to useful tips on using Logic, preferably in the context of doing so with your MPC.

Please try not to clog this thread with YouTube videos because there are TOO MANY that cover basic operations. But if its something more advanced, perhaps difficult to understand for some, post it.

Any requests for tips on using Logic with your MPC can go here too.

Thanks Tutor
By ONE Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:19 am
Can anyone give useful tips on syncing accapellas to beats with Logic?

Someone on the forums mentioned something like using a snap to transients or something of the sort? They never explained how to do it though.
By Clint Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:03 pm
ONE wrote:Can anyone give useful tips on syncing accapellas to beats with Logic?

Someone on the forums mentioned something like using a snap to transients or something of the sort? They never explained how to do it though.

Why sync accapellas to beats? find the tempo of the accapella and then create beats to fit.....otherwise:

Use the BEATMAP function in Logic (read your manual!) to sort this out, its pretty easy to do. I wont go into detail here about what to do as the manual explains it well. Use phrases which you know were exactly on the beat in an accapella and start the beat-mapping process from the very first phrase whatever it is!

Beatmapping allows you to preserve the MPC's groove (timing variations) on additional tracks recorded or imported into Logic so that they sound as if they were also recorded on the MPC. It creates what is known as a 'groove template', thus allowing you to edit, copy and paste audio or midi regions around like you normally would in a DAW without messing with your track alignment. The Logic metronome will also now be in pefect time, without moving any notes as if by magic!

For the techs out there, Logic does this by creating subtle tempo changes that put the Logic sequencer in time with your MPC notes without moving them. A look at the Logic tempo track will clearly show the timing variations of the MPC which has its own natural 'swing'. Rock-solid it aint but its more natural sounding than a rigid DAW sequencer and is one of the main reasons why we all love the sound of them.

If you still need help with this, send me the accapella along with the tempo of the beat so i can do a working example!
By MPC 4 ME Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:34 pm
You can create channel strips and save them to the library

Shift - select all your channels to route them all at once into a bus. Coming from Ableton, this is a great time saver.

A = automation zooming
Z = zoom in on track

Gain Utility + Compressor = heaven

Download IR impulses to make living reverbs with Space Designer

When you want to edit a region, select it, choose " make new file" save it and edit it in the Logic's Sample Editor, destructively

When importing many large tracks, drag them from Finder into the Arranger and choose to drop them on new seperate tracks. Coming from Ableton, this is a great time saver
By MPC 4 ME Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:38 pm
I am still trying to figure out how to quantize MIDI data with a certain strength... Anyone figured that one out yet? I feel silly asking this cause its probably something straightforwrd
By Clint Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:49 pm
The quantize settings appear near the top of the 'Inspector' for any selected midi tracks. Its a realtime/ non-destructrive control so your notes do not actually move at all, changes are reflected in playback.

If you are using your MPC sequencer with Logic plug-ins I suggest leaving quantize off on all channels to maintain the MPC timing and 'groove'.
By MPC 4 ME Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:55 pm
So how do you get them midi notes back to their original place after quantizing? Because you say its non-destructive?
By Blue Haze Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:27 pm
MPC 4 ME wrote:So how do you get them midi notes back to their original place after quantizing? Because you say its non-destructive?

It isn`t permanent until you save/ bounce the file or something like that.