Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By Clint Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:39 pm
Using Logic Pro 8 With Your MPC4000

Its been a while since I posted a “How to…” on the forum so hopefully here’s another useful thread for those that have Logic Pro 8 and an MPC4000. Although this is the combination I use, I see no reason why this tip shouldn’t work with other MPC’s or other versions of Logic.

First up, let me start by saying I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube in particular one entitled “How to use Logic as a sound module with a MPC”. While this video may have helped many, it wasn’t helpful to me as it involved messing with the environment.

There is a much easier way to achieve the same results without touching the environment which is why I’ve posted this thread. I also reckon that this tip may be helpful to anyone who has problems tracking out to Logic. This is also a fun way to use your MPC to make beats quickly. Remember when it was fun?

Assumptions:

1. You are able to input midi to your MPC using a keyboard and/ or the pads.
2. You are able to monitor the output of the MPC and Logic together.
3. You know the basics of navigating both the MPC and Logic.
4. The midi out of the MPC is routed into and being received by Logic.

Ok, im gonna break it down into “MPC’s for Dummies” type steps simply to avoid a flood of basic questions coming back. I know you guys aren’t dummies, you have MPC’s right?

1. Launch Logic Pro 8. From the available templates choose COMPOSE and then ELECTRONIC. This should launch the template.

2. In the Logic FILE menu go to PROJECT SETTINGS and then RECORDING. Make sure you tick the box “Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording”. Close the window.

3. Using the INSPECTOR select each of the 15 tracks in the arrange window in turn and assign each to the corresponding midi channel. Track 1= midi channel 1, Track 2 = midi channel 2 and so on. Don’t change any of the instruments yet.

4. Record enable all the instrument tracks. Don’t worry about the CLICK on track 15, this can be changed to another instrument if need be.

5. Open a mixer window either below the arrange page or on a separate monitor. Set it up to mirror whats on the arrange page by highlighting ARRANGE and INSTR. That’s the software sorted, so SAVE as a template and name it “MPC Module”.

6. On the MPC load up a sequence you want to work with or start a new one, set the tempo and loop length if necessary. If you hate tracking out, I suggest starting a new sequence. Tell you why later…

7. In the midi output section of the MPC screen assign OUT1 to the midi port to be used with Logic (Out A,B,C or D). Also select channel 1. I suggest also naming this port by going to the DEVICE field and pressing WINDOW.

8. Ok, so now track 1 on the MPC is ready. Press some keys/ pads. You should hear some drum sounds at the lower note numbers/ octaves. This is the CLASSIC TECHNO KIT loaded into track 1 in Logic. Confirm this by looking at Logic’s mixer. If this doesn’t work, check the four assumptions outlined above and rectify before continuing.

9. Works? Great! Now on the MPC use the thumbwheel to change the midi out channel. Try all the channels to confirm that all are routed to the matching instruments in Logic. As you turn the thumbwheel thru the channels observe the Logic mixer to see which instrument is playing.

That’s the complete set-up. You can now send 16 channels of midi data to 16 different Logic instruments. If you want to use Logic as a pure sound module, there is no need to bother with syncing logic to the MPC. Hate tracking out? Program/ record your (midi) beats into the MPC and make sure everything has its own track. Load your samples/ drumkits/ synths into logic by choosing and using the correct instruments (try the template first to see how it works). Hit record in Logic after setting a loop of 8,16 or 32 bars. All your notes are recorded on the correct Logic tracks. Play it back. All recorded in midi notes, ready to mess with. Your Logic sequence will still have that famous MPC BUMP!!

There are lots you can do when this works. For example set the MPC OUT1 and OUT2 to different midi channels for instant layering. I shall let you guys figure out what else can be done………

:roll:

Edit: Monday December 1st 2008

In response to questions from forum members I will explain here how you can add rewired Reason instruments to your session and trigger them from your MPC alongside your Logic and AU instruments as previously discussed in this tutorial.

This post is an addition to the original tutorial and continues where that left off.

To keep this simple, I will only create a single rewired instrument to be triggered from the MPC on midi channel 16. You could however use any or all of your MPC midi outputs to trigger any combination of up to 64 (16x4) Logic and rewired Reason instruments.

10. Launch Reason and set-up the instruments you wish to rewire, bypassing the Reason mixer. For this example, I have used Reason 4’s Thor synthesiser. Connect your instrument outputs directly to the Reason Hardware Device.

11. Back in Logic; create a new external midi track. It will appear on the arrange page. The library appears to the right of the arrange page. From the list of available ‘external’ midi ports select Reason, followed by the rewired instrument (Thor) that you want to use on the new track. Record enable the track (all tracks that you want to hear!).

12. Leave all the settings in the ‘inspector’ at their default positions. Change NOTHING. Go to the Logic mixer and create a new ‘auxillary channel strip’ which should then be assigned to the correct rewire channels as your Reason instrument. Raise the aux channel fader to 0.0.

13. In Reason’s ‘Advanced Control’ preferences make sure that the midi output of your MPC/ midi interface is selected in place of ‘No MIDI Input’ for Bus A. Go to the Reason hardware interface and click on the ‘advanced midi device’ button. This is the place to make your external midi settings. Select bus A, the name of your midi port should be displayed above the 16 midi input channel routing slots. Use these slots to route midi from your MPC to any Reason instruments you have created in the Reason rack. I put an instance of Thor on channel 16 where it now responds to midi sent from the MPC on that channel. Any midi activity from your MPC can be monitored here by observing the green lights flashing.

When using rewire, make sure that no instruments are selected (highlighted) to accept midi on the Reason arrange page by clicking on the ‘transport’ icon in the device list. We are controlling the midi routing from the Reason Hardware Device.

From the MPC you can now trigger pre-loaded samples plus any Logic/ AU instruments and any rewired Reason instruments all at the same time, with ease.
Last edited by Clint on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Blue Haze Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:37 am
clint246clint wrote:Using Logic Pro 8 With Your MPC4000

Its been a while since I posted a “How to…” on the forum so hopefully here’s another useful thread for those that have Logic Pro 8 and an MPC4000. Although this is the combination I use, I see no reason why this tip shouldn’t work with other MPC’s or other versions of Logic.

First up, let me start by saying I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube in particular one entitled “How to use Logic as a sound module with a MPC”. While this video may have helped many, it wasn’t helpful to me as it involved messing with the environment.

There is a much easier way to achieve the same results without touching the environment which is why I’ve posted this thread. I also reckon that this tip may be helpful to anyone who has problems tracking out to Logic. This is also a fun way to use your MPC to make beats quickly. Remember when it was fun?

Assumptions:

1. You are able to input midi to your MPC using a keyboard and/ or the pads.
2. You are able to monitor the output of the MPC and Logic together.
3. You know the basics of navigating both the MPC and Logic.
4. The midi out of the MPC is routed into and being received by Logic.

Ok, im gonna break it down into “MPC’s for Dummies” type steps simply to avoid a flood of basic questions coming back. I know you guys aren’t dummies, you have MPC’s right?

1. Launch Logic Pro 8. From the available templates choose COMPOSE and then ELECTRONIC. This should launch the template.

2. In the Logic FILE menu go to PROJECT SETTINGS and then RECORDING. Make sure you tick the box “Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording”. Close the window.

3. Using the INSPECTOR select each of the 15 tracks in the arrange window in turn and assign each to the corresponding midi channel. Track 1= midi channel 1, Track 2 = midi channel 2 and so on. Don’t change any of the instruments yet.

4. Record enable all the instrument tracks. Don’t worry about the CLICK on track 15, this can be changed to another instrument if need be.

5. Open a mixer window either below the arrange page or on a separate monitor. Set it up to mirror whats on the arrange page by highlighting ARRANGE and INSTR. That’s the software sorted, so SAVE as a template and name it “MPC Module”.

6. On the MPC load up a sequence you want to work with or start a new one, set the tempo and loop length if necessary. If you hate tracking out, I suggest starting a new sequence. Tell you why later…

7. In the midi output section of the MPC screen assign OUT1 to the midi port to be used with Logic (Out A,B,C or D). Also select channel 1. I suggest also naming this port by going to the DEVICE field and pressing WINDOW.

8. Ok, so now track 1 on the MPC is ready. Press some keys/ pads. You should hear some drum sounds at the lower note numbers/ octaves. This is the CLASSIC TECHNO KIT loaded into track 1 in Logic. Confirm this by looking at Logic’s mixer. If this doesn’t work, check the four assumptions outlined above and rectify before continuing.

9. Works? Great! Now on the MPC use the thumbwheel to change the midi out channel. Try all the channels to confirm that all are routed to the matching instruments in Logic.

That’s the complete set-up. You can now send 16 channels of midi data to 16 different Logic instruments. If you want to use Logic as a pure sound module, there is no need to bother with syncing logic to the MPC. Hate tracking out? Program/ record your (midi) beats into the MPC and make sure everything has its own track. Load your samples/ drumkits/ synths into logic by choosing and using the correct instruments (try the template first to see how it works). Hit record in Logic after setting a loop of 8,16 or 32 bars. All your notes are recorded on the correct Logic tracks. Play it back. All recorded in midi notes, ready to mess with. Your Logic sequence will still have that famous MPC BUMP!!

There are lots you can do when this works. For example set the MPC OUT1 and OUT2 to different midi channels for instant layering. I shall let you guys figure out what else can be done………

I can supply a template to anyone who requests it by PM for a limited period. :roll:

Great post Clint I work this way all the time most. Also pick this tip up from the Logic Pro Help forum too. Especially after all of those using logic with a mpc posts. Best part is that this is the way alot of pioneers work with just outboard gear using the mpc as a sequencer mainly. i love exs24 to death as my main sampler now.
By duanereed Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 am
just like to say thanks clint and do not send the template this worked i love the way i work now and you have finally save my life i am no longer frustrated with logic because this is the way i use to work and its crazy how you can track everything out at the same time and not rack for track thank you thank you thank you everybody for all of you help now i just6 need help with the esx24 sampler and addind my samples to logic but im good right now this is bananas
By Clint Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:57 am
Glad to help!

The tip is an ABSOLUTE NO-BRAINER for anyone using their MPC with Logic Pro 8. Often slept on by hard-core MPC freaks who enjoy crouching over the MPC screen loading, chopping, saving, editing etc.

Using this tip you wont have to do any of this unless you want to, just use the MPC's biggest asset.......THE SEQUENCER SECTION to trigger instruments/ soft-samplers and record the midi output in Logic.

(dont forget to turn off quantize in Logic when recording the MPC midi output otherwise you will LOSE the MPC's timing imperfections/Groove!)

The possibilities are endless.

Anyone else tried it yet?
By Blue Haze Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:06 pm
Like before Clint it is a great post and exactly how it should work along with ES2 synth super-crazy for making new and old synths. Others tools I say if you got the program learn it. Sequence like crazy, ha, ha, and plus shift the tracks if you wish in Logic plus the arrangement is nice.

To get more out of Logic I also recommend www.macprovideo.com
By Blue Haze Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:39 pm
My two cents to this great thread by Clint

I setup my autoload page to include a input object for my 4k metronome so it makes it easy to sequence from the 4k.

Just go to the environment section create an input object set to stereo or mono select the audio input on your interface and go back to your 4k and assign your metronome output from there. Using the input object you can hear the metronome of the 4k when you record your sequences on the 4k without worry to much about latency. Plus I usually set Logic audio buffer between 256 to 512 on my Mac G4 just for midi recording. I increase the setting as I build up the audio instruments to compensate.

This is using Logic 7 of course those. I have Logic 8 on my laptop but I intend to buy a new desktop in the future to use 8 on.

I also work with Digi002 too. Doing everything inside for me at least sounds alot nicer.

Like Clint said the possibilities are limitless.
By Clint Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:11 am
Speaking of metronomes, when you record the MPC's midi output into Logic all the MPC's timing fluctuations, tempo changes and swing settings will be preserved providing Logic's quantize function is off on all midi channels being recorded. Because of this, dont expect the metronome in Logic to be in time - even if you try to line your beats to the grid.

Therefore, once recorded you may find it difficult to align (drag) the MPC sequence with the grid in Logic. Of course, if you programmed the whole beat in the MPC this doesn't matter but if you later decide to add more midi tracks from within Logic itself you will benefit from having a useable metronome and grid in the program.

Use the BEATMAP function in Logic (read your manual!) to sort this out, its easy to do. I wont go into detail about what to do as the manual explains it well. Use hits (or notes) which you know were exactly on the beat when you programmed the MPC and start from the very first note in your beat whatever it is!

Beatmapping allows you to preserve the MPC's groove (timing variations) on additional midi tracks recorded in Logic so that they sound as if they were also recorded on the MPC. It creates what is known as a 'groove template', thus allowing you to edit, copy and paste midi regions around like you normally would in a DAW without messing with your track alignment. The Logic metronome will also now be in pefect time, without moving any notes as if by magic!

For the techs out there, Logic does this by creating subtle tempo changes that put the Logic sequencer in time with your MPC notes without moving them. A look at the Logic tempo track will clearly show the timing variations of the MPC which has its own natural 'swing'. Rock-solid it aint but its more natural sounding than a rigid DAW sequencer and is one of the main reasons why we all love the sound of them.......
By UNIverse360 Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:47 pm
These tips have made my day.. Great post Clint!!
I remember yrs ago as a tech hookin up sound mod racks and configuring daws to work like this via MIDI.. This is a ole school of way of workin.. This seems to make so much sense to me now..
I never even thought about this.. Maybe because Im overwhelmed with others areas of Logic.. but I felt so dumb reading this.. I was mislead by some enviroment tut on youtube that threw me waaaay off... The Logic Forum Blue Haze suggested backed up everything posted here..

Thanks again for sheding some light on this ..

BTW If I think of any tips that could help I'll post it here.. Have Logic Power 7 and seems to be on point.
By UNIverse360 Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:59 pm
Blue Haze wrote:My two cents to this great thread by Clint

I setup my autoload page to include a input object for my 4k metronome so it makes it easy to sequence from the 4k.

Just go to the environment section create an input object set to stereo or mono select the audio input on your interface and go back to your 4k and assign your metronome output from there. Using the input object you can hear the metronome of the 4k when you record your sequences on the 4k without worry to much about latency. Plus I usually set Logic audio buffer between 256 to 512 on my Mac G4 just for midi recording. I increase the setting as I build up the audio instruments to compensate.

Sounds like a great tip. Im going to try this as soon as I get home.. Thats the 1st thing I noticed.. I didnt have a click.. so what I did was just make a audio track to the main outs of the MPC.. but now you got me wondering if its better to create this in the enviroment??
By CHARLIEPLATNUM Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:43 pm
Nice post, I was using Logic Pro 8 like this with my MPC 1000 until I stumbled up on some MPC 3000 quantize templates for Logic. So now I have all of Logic's quantize and swing capabilities as well as the MPC 3000's within the same project/song.....So for people rockin' Logic, and don't have an MPC, but miss the feel.........download the free MPC3000 quantize template. They also have ASR10 and SP1200 templates too.
By itslikezacanduh Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:27 am
Thanks OP! But I have a question... or ten.

Since I'm a noob when it comes to 'Syncing' the MPC to a DAW, I'll try not to embarrass myself too much here.

What's the benefit of doing this over, say, tracking out a beat with each instrument in audio format (not midi) in its sequence to Logic and just syncing time?

I know having the midi notes there is convenient, but what about adding/adjusting effects, levels, mastering, compressing and all that good stuff? Can you add all that good shit to the midi notes? I wouldn't think you'd be able to since those aren't audio at all... but I definitely can be wrong because like I said, I'm pretty noobish when it comes to this.

I guess the root of the question would be: why would I do this over tracking out the audio?

Thanks again!