Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 pm
Reality is, it's not out yet. No matter how you "look" at it, you have no physical clue if it's solidly built or not.

No matter how you look at it, sideways, from the front at a 57 degree angel it's still a controller with an internal audio interface.

You can "think like" all you want but we all don't really know is what I'm saying. Speculation is a mofo because as of right now it's ungrounded falseness.
By Beezie Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:57 am
Lampdog wrote:Reality is, it's not out yet. No matter how you "look" at it, you have no physical clue if it's solidly built or not.

No matter how you look at it, sideways, from the front at a 57 degree angel it's still a controller with an internal audio interface.

You can "think like" all you want but we all don't really know is what I'm saying. Speculation is a mofo because as of right now it's ungrounded falseness.

I suppose your right that its all speculation, it could be crap, BUT....The hole statement of there going to change the game is a kinda BIG ONE. I seriously doubt its going to be junk.
By madcherokee Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:48 am
I think it is a waste of hardware personally. Yes, we can edit samples within our laptops and manipulate the hell out of them with the (Numark) MPCs. Yet, why limit the MPC to be a controller only? What they need to do now is create OS3 for the 5000 to add the 60/3000 filter as a software upgrade. Or, create a MPC5000XL with that and the rest of the "tweaks/updates" so we can have our dedicated machines. I own a 500, a 1000, a 2000XL, two S950, a S2000 and a Roland S-550. It is hard enough to re-create true "back in the day" hip-hop beats with out this hardware being standalones. Now, in the world of 64bit OS for computers, do you really think they can truly reproduce real 8 to 12bit output? Let's think about it.

Since Numark has bought AkaiPro, they have been shifting the MPC to a european style of music machine instead of really catering to the true consumer of the MPC products: The Hip-Hop musician. Take a look at the 5000 demo videos. Hell, the DJ industry finally got it right when we told then we did not want to be stuck with FinalScratch and its British nightclub programmatic overpinnings. So Rane created Serato and ScratchLive. Now I can digitize my more than 12 million dollar record library and scratch without having to worry about the software latency. Now because they Numark/Akai claim to have the 12bit sound again, we should sell out to a well crafted MPC style controller? Isn't that what the MPK and MPD series is supposed to do? How many more thousands of dollars are you willing to spend? How many more Newbies are looking for expensive handouts while true creativity and reading the f@#$%ng manual, trial and error, and true styles are dying because of the RIAA/MPAA "got-to-be-a-quick-hit" wanna-bees think that record sales make them the dopest? Numark/Akai want us to sell-out, period. Why settle when they can do more? I saw the handwriting on the wall when Numark started to create DJ-mixers with the gradual/"disco" curve in the early 90's. They totally told their loyal Hip-Hop DJs to "take a long walk off a short pier". Now they want us to "take a deep breath, it will all be over" (gas chamber reference). Right, when hell freezes over. Better yet, when the Republicans truly start to really care about ALL of the people of America. The only person that seems to "keep it real" is the creator of the JJ-OS. Think about it.

"Base, how low can you go?
Death row... what a brother know?"

Mad Cherokee
By madcherokee Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:51 am
BlitZ wrote:I just watched the video for like the 5th time and I'm just now noticing g that when MPC comes up on the screen, it says it stands for music production CONTROLLER. So my question is, why even buy it? I'll probably just keep my MPD32 and my 1k (which I was planning to sell so i could buy the renny) and just try out the software for half the price...until those other 2 MPC's drop at least.

It became the Music Production Center after the MPC2000XL-MCD. Before that, MPC meant Midi Production Center.

Mad Cherokee
By JAH Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 am
madcherokee wrote:

Now because they Numark/Akai claim to have the 12bit sound again, we should sell out to a well crafted MPC style controller?

That will be up to each individual. But that was a mightly long post. To sum it up, you don't want to buy it and you want others to follow your lead. Right? I got a thread you can vote here:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=150887
By madcherokee Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 pm
JAH wrote:
madcherokee wrote:

Now because they Numark/Akai claim to have the 12bit sound again, we should sell out to a well crafted MPC style controller?

That will be up to each individual. But that was a mightly long post. To sum it up, you don't want to buy it and you want others to follow your lead. Right? I got a thread you can vote here:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=150887

It's more about not believing everything you see or hear because a few people have early access to equipment that is supposed to be the "answer all/end all". I guess you forgot when the Compact Disc was supposed to take place of vinyl. I still can buy records new. But even the industry had to realize that stopping the "Street DJ" from scratching was killing their all precious money flow. Now, you can have the 12bit sound at the touch of a button. Funny, the MPC3000 was 16bit in and 16bit out, the MPC60 was 16bit in 12bit out. The same for the S900 and S950. When opening the MPC60 format, the MPC3000 would have to ADD the extra 4 bits (12 + 4 = 16) in order to edit the files. Then truncate(cut) the extra four bits and recode the files before saving to 12bit for the MPC60 floppies(incuding the zip disks Merion SYS upgrades). The bit-grunge of the MPC1000 and downsampling of the MPC2000XL couldn't even get you close to the 12bit linear output of the MPC60s, S900 or S950. All of those were before Numark bought the company. Do you really think that Numark has researched and reverse-engineered the actual microprocessors used in those machines to create a filter that truthfully recreates that output? They would have to hire ALL of the people that engineered that equipment from the late 80's to the early 90's to train all of the newer Micro$oft programmers they have hired. The electronics used back then have almost been considered dead, obsolete, and very hard to replicate. There has been many electrical, mathematical, and theoretical changes since the 1980s. For a close comparison, take a look at the Roland TR-808 clone made by Jomox and its price. That could end up costing Numark millions and possible make the MPC cost over $10,000 just to recoup for the cost of research alone. Think about it.

By the way, are you a programmer or any kind of engineer? If so, you would know what I am talking about. Also, a long informative post to stir real conversation should not be a crime. Think about it.

Mad Cherokee
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:46 pm
Beezie wrote:I suppose your right that its all speculation, it could be crap, BUT....The hole statement of there going to change the game is a kinda BIG ONE. I seriously doubt its going to be junk.

I usually try and stay within reality and not speculate much at all because it just fuels rumors, debates that sometimes turn into e-wars and such. Like you say the name change is a big thing in my eyes but I understand it because it's the route they are actually going, controller.

I am big on stand alone gear when actually creating music though, it's just the feel and workflow I like. Of course I see the potential in all the new stuff as well, the studio may well be my very first venture into controllers if the specs read well enough for me. I like the Ren too but I have 2 MPC's already and I want a portable MPC, I like the MPC workflow and menus that I'm used to. I'm sure Maschine would have fit the bill for me too but the first time I touched it the pads threw me way off. As powerful as it may be I can't stand hard pads.

I STILL maintain today that all 3 the 2kxlse version had the softest MPC pads I've ever touched.