Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By JAH Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 pm
tapedeck wrote:
JAH wrote:I am still waiting to have that conversation about power users. But as I wait.....

hi, im the topic of this thread ... have we met?
:mrgreen:

Quick recap for you....
Nym was interested in MIDI control over the REN software. In the process there was speculation regarding the possibility that power users wants/needs may be overlooked. So I asked what are those wants/needs? So I am open to more talk about MIDI control or wants/needs?
By MeSoHordey Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:13 pm
JAH wrote:
tapedeck wrote:
JAH wrote:I am still waiting to have that conversation about power users. But as I wait.....

hi, im the topic of this thread ... have we met?
:mrgreen:

Quick recap for you....
Nym was interested in MIDI control over the REN software. In the process there was speculation regarding the possibility that power users wants/needs may be overlooked. So I asked what are those wants/needs? So I am open to more talk about MIDI control or wants/needs?

We're glad that you're open to it. Isn't it a little late to get those requirements in to the development team at Akai?
By tapedeck Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:13 pm
JAH wrote:Quick recap for you....

i believe those needs are explained in the very first post - can every function be controlled via midi.
i mentioned that those are power user features and then nym explained in more detail his power-use of these features.

its like, we were having this conversation, you popped in and said we should have the exact conversation we are having, then ignored the fact that we are having it because you couldn't really contribute to it.
you're trying to take over every single thread regarding this device.
By master-ceo Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:00 pm
Nym wrote:I can SPEAK COMMANDS to my MPC and have it perform them. "transpose up" i say, and a command is sent to the MPC for it to transpose the notes in the current track +12 semitones.

workflow.

Sick. That's why I love Midi. Endless possibilities when mixed with new Tech
By JAH Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:01 am
tapedeck wrote:
JAH wrote:Quick recap for you....

i believe those needs are explained in the very first post - can every function be controlled via midi.
i mentioned that those are power user features and then nym explained in more detail his power-use of these features.

its like, we were having this conversation, you popped in and said we should have the exact conversation we are having, then ignored the fact that we are having it because you couldn't really contribute to it.
you're trying to take over every single thread regarding this device.

Actually...Nym asked me to contribute. I got the part about MIDI (took notes). I didn't find this particular feature as a power user function. I took it as a feature that makes sense that all software apps should have. Which is the reason why I asked to continue the conversation.

I have been adding foes to my profile all day. Can't we be friends? Note - the same 6-7 people are in every MPC Ren thread.
By cyrus Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:46 am

Yes, chopping is the key to any good sampling workstation. While you can do it in Logic using the mouse or programmable key strokes, it is certainly not like the MPC (regardless of which OS you choose) and its not like the MV-8800/Fantom X/G.

I like JJ's nondestructive chopping although I wouldn't use it all the time. But Roland's manual method of inserting and deleting slice point markers is my favorite (oustide of the Fantom G's limitation of 16 slices):
1. Use the data wheel/cursor to locate positions in the sample
2. Use the cursor keys to zoom in/out of the sample
3. Use the F keys to insert or delete slice points

I would give a testicle for this function in an MPC.

Maschine's chopping, while workable, is disappointing as you can do so much in a dedicate software product. Maschine's manual slicing is a waste. You can add slice points but you can insert them exactly where you want to place them like you can with an MV/Fantom. Maschine has mouse capabilities. Why can't use insert slice markers with a mouse? Its wasted. Maschine's split mode chopping allows you to select in increments of 4, 8, 16, or 32. Really? Why can't you dial in any number from 2 to 32? Why not 64 like an MPC? Yes you can use the ADD slice to split one region into 2 equal regions...but it would be much better to insert slice markers exactly where you want them placed.

yeah, the one thing jjos gave me that was so awesome was overlapping zones/chops. I really liked the 4k regions thing, but the problem was 2 fold: 1.you couldn't have overlapping regions, 2.you could not preview each region together, you could only preview them 1 at a time.

with jjos you could do both, each region mapped to a pad, i could adjust the start point of pad 1, then go to pad 2 and adjust it, and preview them all together while the beat is playing...to me that was the most powerful part, I could finally adjust the chops and preview them together...................and thats why I like maschine's implementation.

I agree with you about maschines slice functions, i think they kind of suck because of the reason's you pointed out, but when i say i like maschines implementation im refering to how I implemented jjos style chopping on maschine (and im sure how other mpc users do it too):

1. the set pad to poly 1, choke group 1, adjust start point (leaving end point to entire end of sample)
2.duplicating that pad to new pad (maintains poly, choke group, and start position)
3. adjusting new pad's start point (leaving everything else)
4. repeating with next pad
5.do this until i have the number of pads/chops i want from the sample
6.essentially its like manually setting jjos chop numbers, but instead of having 32 by default, you have to duplicate the pad over and over, which isnt bad because duplicating a pad in maschine is super fast and easy.

I do like your idea of clicking to add markers tho. I haven't had the experience with roland stuff......but i think adding markers is faster than dragging the start position. Plus, i think it would be cool if you could click to add markers and then they just sat there until you decided to do something with them...........like:
1.add several markers by clicking or hitting button while sample is playing, at this point they are just markers they don't automatically do anything
2.decide to do something with the marker
3.export all markers to pads function
4.OR click 1 marker drag it to a pad
5.OR destructively export all markers to new samples
6.OR select only several of the markers and export or do something with
7.OR select markers and copy and paste, export region, delete region

HMMM, maybe we need to start a chopping thread for MPC Ren. sorry to hijack thread nym.
By emptysea Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:18 am
Nym wrote:
midi control of every function ... it's very rare and not something manufacturers care about.

you're absolutely right, and it's a woefully underdeveloped use of cheap, existing tech. it puts a LOT of power in the hands of the end user. we are only beginning to see it with JJOS. i can SPEAK COMMANDS to my MPC and have it perform them. "transpose up" i say, and a command is sent to the MPC for it to transpose the notes in the current track +12 semitones.

You don't need to rely on existing MIDI implementation to do that though. For example, on the OS X version of the QuicKeys software (which stays hidden in the background without using up CPU) I can map anything from any application to MIDI commands (even choose which MIDI controller to listen to) or custom keyboard shortcuts. By anything I mean every single menu item of an application (even contextual menus) that don't even have keyboard shortcuts, recording of mouse movements, existing keyboard shortcuts, Automator scripts, applescript...etc. This allows me to do things like put my Maschine controller into MIDI mode and press a button on the controller to launch or quit the Maschine software as well as stuff like all that voice commands stuff you're talking about.