Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By JAH Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:29 pm
emptysea wrote:Maschine's realtime record resolution is 960 ppqns. When using the step sequencer or moving notes around, it is 96 ppqns.

From my test so far, it appears to be no more than 96 ppqns per quarter note in realtime. This weekend, I will test this extensively and may even put up videos on You Tube if I get the time. Its a fact that the MPC 2000XL has 96 ppqn. When recording it into Maschine in real time, Maschine wasn't able to record the same note triggered 96x within a quarter note. When I sent 1 note per tick (96 consecutive ticks in all) using a different note, Maschine could record it. So far these are my findings. But I want to validate my findings.

Can you prove your statement? This is not about dissing Maschine. I only care about facts in this regard.
By emptysea Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:11 am
JAH wrote:
emptysea wrote:Maschine's realtime record resolution is 960 ppqns.

From my test so far, it appears to be no more than 96 ppqns per quarter note in realtime. This weekend, I will test this extensively and may even put up videos on You Tube if I get the time. Its a fact that the MPC 2000XL has 96 ppqn. When recording it into Maschine in real time, Maschine wasn't able to record the same note triggered 96x within a quarter note. When I sent 1 note per tick (96 consecutive ticks in all) using a different note, Maschine could record it. So far these are my findings. But I want to validate my findings.

James @ NI: "The internal resolution is 960 ppq - so this is what resolution you record with if you turn off grid and record in pad playing."
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... stcount=10
By JAH Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:40 am
emptysea wrote:
JAH wrote:
emptysea wrote:Maschine's realtime record resolution is 960 ppqns.

James @ NI: "The internal resolution is 960 ppq - so this is what resolution you record with if you turn off grid and record in pad playing."

And nobody has achieved what he said. :lol:

MPC 2000XL step sequencer has 96 ticks within a quarter note when quantize is turned off. Maschine has 32 ticks within a quarter note when quantize is turned off.

In a realtime test, I sent MIDI notes from an external keyboard into Maschine (via MIDI IN and USB...same results). Maschine didn't record quite a few notes. The same test and the MPC 2000XL passed.

I'm here all night if you care to provide proof. And I will admit it if I am wrong but no one has accomplished such in Maschine. Ask anyone in NI Forum.
By DJ Hellfire Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:22 pm
JAH wrote:
emptysea wrote:
JAH wrote:From my test so far, it appears to be no more than 96 ppqns per quarter note in realtime. This weekend, I will test this extensively and may even put up videos on You Tube if I get the time. Its a fact that the MPC 2000XL has 96 ppqn. When recording it into Maschine in real time, Maschine wasn't able to record the same note triggered 96x within a quarter note. When I sent 1 note per tick (96 consecutive ticks in all) using a different note, Maschine could record it. So far these are my findings. But I want to validate my findings.

And nobody has achieved what he said. :lol:

MPC 2000XL step sequencer has 96 ticks within a quarter note when quantize is turned off. Maschine has 32 ticks within a quarter note when quantize is turned off.

In a realtime test, I sent MIDI notes from an external keyboard into Maschine (via MIDI IN and USB...same results). Maschine didn't record quite a few notes. The same test and the MPC 2000XL passed.

I'm here all night if you care to provide proof. And I will admit it if I am wrong but no one has accomplished such in Maschine. Ask anyone in NI Forum.

How does any of this affect a person making a beat though? Real world! :?
By JAH Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:

In the real world....both an MPC and Maschine can record...boom bap boom boom bap. :lol:

All though is seems we are just being supa nerdy, we are just breaking down specs. NI claims Maschine's sequencer resolution for real time recording is higher than its step recording. This isn't logical at all. Step recording should allow you to place a note anywhere you like (NI acknowledges this problem). All MPCs and workstations that I have used can accomplish this. My Fantom Gs sequencer resolution is 480 ppqns. And you can insert a note on every tick. Step edit allows you to record in finer detail in a way thats impossible to do real time as no one can play a keyboard or beat on a pad fast enough to record 96 events (a note on each tick) within a quarter note...let alone 960. :oops: If Maschine had a working step sequencer or could import MIDI files, you could clearly see its sequencer resolution...today you can't.

Regarding specific real world issues, there are Maschine's users that have issues with Maschine not recording as played. There is a big thread about it. Nobody, including myself, could produce of hear the results of what ofther forums members were talking about. So I started performing these tests.
By DJ Hellfire Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:28 pm
JAH wrote:
DJ Hellfire wrote:

In the real world....both an MPC and Maschine can record...boom bap boom boom bap. :lol:

All though is seems we are just being supa nerdy, we are just breaking down specs. NI claims Maschine's sequencer resolution for real time recording is higher than its step recording. This isn't logical at all. Step recording should allow you to place a note anywhere you like (NI acknowledges this problem). All MPCs and workstations that I have used can accomplish this. My Fantom Gs sequencer resolution is 480 ppqns. And you can insert a note on every tick. Step edit allows you to record in finer detail in a way thats impossible to do real time as no one can play a keyboard or beat on a pad fast enough to record 96 events (a note on each tick) within a quarter note...let alone 960. :oops: If Maschine had a working step sequencer or could import MIDI files, you could clearly see its sequencer resolution...today you can't.

Regarding specific real world issues, there are Maschine's users that have issues with Maschine not recording as played. There is a big thread about it. Nobody, including myself, could produce of hear the results of what ofther forums members were talking about. So I started performing these tests.

I never use step recording. I actually hate step sequencers, as far as that being the only method to sequence notes. However, I do use step edit faithfully in the 2500 AFTER my notes are recorded. Works out great. But c'mon son, do people actually make music with 96/960 hits in a quater note? :shock:

So try this on Maschine. Place/record a note on the grid, then turn grid mode off and nudge the note to the next quarter note and count how many nudges it takes. I think that would give you your answer, as least one that matters in real world usage. I'm sure it will be A LOT more than 32! :lol: May not give you the exact type of answer you are looking for, but at least it will tell you where notes can actually be place, again, real world! 8)
Last edited by DJ Hellfire on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JAH Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:12 pm
idk. You will have to ask the folks that love the fact that the MPC 4000 was the first MPC with a sequencer 960 ppqns until the MPC 5000 came along. 96 ppqns for all other MPCs.

I tried the nudge method on Maschine. 96 ppqns were the result.
By emptysea Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:56 pm
JAH wrote:I tried the nudge method on Maschine. 96 ppqns were the result.

But you're Jahrome. :lol: When Maschine users conducted the same test after you posted fake test results they found it was definitely over 96 ppqn.

People also found that you can access at least 480 ppqn positions using the 'swing' knob method (visually) and that nudging with the swing knob in the step mode you get either 27 or 30 positions per space with 128 grid. So Maschine's internal sequencer resolution is indeed 960 ppq.
By JAH Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:31 pm
emptysea wrote:
JAH wrote:I tried the nudge method on Maschine. 96 ppqns were the result.

But you're Jahrome. :lol: When Maschine users conducted the same test after you posted fake test results they found it was definitely over 96 ppqn.

People also found that you can access at least 480 ppqn positions using the 'swing' knob method (visually) and that nudging with the swing knob in the step mode you get either 27 or 30 positions per space with 128 grid. So Maschine's internal sequencer resolution is indeed 960 ppq.

Dudes are trying all sorts crazy of things. :oops:

If a sequencer is rated at 960 ppqns, then in realtime is should be able to record this. What you are indicating is that Maschine can achieve this in a particular situation that is not a real world application.

It is very simple. The MPC 2000XL can record MIDI data from my Fantom G near flawlessy. Maschine couldn't. If Maschine had a 960 ppqn sequencer, than it should have had no issues and performed better than the XL. This isn't the case. And anyone is free to try it themselves....no need to take my work for anything.