Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Jamon Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:04 am
this could distract jjos dev, because they already stopped updates for a while to work on windows jj sequencer. that didnt take off so jjos is in full effect. but...

now they might see the mpc ren and chase the hype. mpc ren has lcd interface, and jj sequencer has codebase. put together and there can be jjos ren edition.

for a programmer, coding for windows with mpc as usb interface is way more appealing than cramped and limited firmware for outdated hardware.

so its possible this could distract from real mpc and jjos.
By temetrepo Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:25 am
hope he gets busy wit it and make it happen. he can rake in mad dough if he does it. maybe he can hire more deverlopers. one for the mpc and one for the computer sequencer. everybody wins. lol
only if it were that easy
By brucker Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 am
eh? there was an update on the 3rd, and on the jjseq page it still says development has been stopped.

unless jj can get his hands on the code for ren, i wouldnt worry about it.

i could see how the ren would be a great catalyst for further development of jjos and jjseq.
By temetrepo Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:57 am
why would he need to get his hands on ren code?? it's pretty much a computer program. couldn't he write his own and implement his own way of mapping to every knob and mapping to everything in the controller :?:
and make it better than the stock one while at it
By JamesJeffery Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:13 am
Do I have to explain again why JJOS won't happen? It's in a totally different league.

For JJ to produce what you guys are hoping for it would be impossible as the OS is not an embedded OS as it is in the classic MPCs. The OS on the Ren. is the Akai DAW. So for an "OS" (as you guys are putting it) to be possible it would basically be a brand new DAW that's built for the Ren. to utilize. Just like the Akai OS but with certain tweaks.

He already had the source code for the classic OS's because he developed them. He just took his code away and expanded in areas where Akai didn't and improved it.

Why is JJ going to make a fully fledged DAW for the Ren.? It would take his years.

So rather than asking for "JJOS" you should be asking "Is JJ going to make a new DAW for the Ren." because that's all it will be. And for what? To give you better chopping? Seems daft to start a project from scratch to improve a couple of features when Akai could release a software update that makes all his efforts useless (that's saying Akai have changed their ways when it comes to updates and support).

There is no brain inside the Ren. No embedded OS. What controls what's on the LCD is the Akai DAW. The Ren. simply sends and receives midi data.

But the chances are Akai have taken some inspiration from JJ's original efforts.

The JJSEQ wasn't spectacular in the first place. Akai would have everything covered in terms of a fully working DAW (I can only assume). And if they haven't why would you buy the Ren. in the first place if it's based on a shoddy DAW.
By Jamon Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:33 am
The software was already built. That right there is motivation because time and energy has already been invested. It was not an easy project developing the JJ Sequencer, and there wasn't a return on investment.

It's not a guarantee, just a possibility. How much longer will there be JJOS sales? The MPC 2500 was already discontinued, and Akai could release new MPC machines with solid firmware and modern spec, which would diminish demand further.

For whatever reason, JJ Sequencer was believed to be a good idea. Maybe because the programmer would prefer to develop for Windows without worrying about hardware limitations. Maybe because the JJOS sales are drying up.

Whatever it is, JJOS is in the position to have both the street cred and potential to capitalize on a potential opportunity. There's no guarantee that's what's going to happen. This is speculation, and many events could shut it down.

But technically, there is communications between the Akai PC software, and the Ren hardware. It occurs over USB. The logic is done in the CPU, but the input and output is sent over the wire to the external display and audio interface.

Depending on how it works, it could be easy or difficult. But it's most likely possible to integrate it with non-Akai software, like something built on JJ Sequencer code. It might just require patching the ins/outs, and sending graphics to the LCD.

Regardless of what people think of the new controllers, there are going to be sales. What are the odds of the Akai software being any good? It could happen, but based on what you've seen in the past, be real. Now imagine there being controllers out there, with unsatisfied customers. You're the JJOS dev, already experienced with Windows programming, already with a project you spent a lot investing in.

The protocol could be published by Akai, or it could be reverse engineered, and then it just requires a thin layer between the software you already built and the external controller. Finish the ability to open JJOS saved files, and now you've got an established market interested in buying something new from you. Then the controller hardware has been out for a while, so is marked down, and people using MPC 1000/2500s with JJOS might pick one up.

Do you see why that might cross their mind? Especially since everyone seems to be paying more attention to PC audio software and controllers than legacy MPC machines. Something motivated the development of JJ Sequencer, and that something is probably only strengthened now. They could chase the hype.

I'm not one of the people who said they hope it happens. But that some people do is just more proof for the possibility that JJOS devs are paying attention, and seeing an opportunity to cash-in on. I'm just speculating, because I run JJOS, and saw the potential for this to distract away from firmware updates.

It happened before, when JJ Sequencer was being made. I thought JJOS was over, and everything was moving to the PC, because the developer was chasing after the trends and needed to find ways to make more money. That project seemed to fail back then, but this news could change that situation.

It's possible.
By JamesJeffery Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:43 am
Jamon wrote:The software was already built. That right there is motivation because time and energy has already been invested. It was not an easy project developing the JJ Sequencer, and there wasn't a return on investment.

It's not a guarantee, just a possibility. How much longer will there be JJOS sales? The MPC 2500 was already discontinued, and Akai could release new MPC machines with solid firmware and modern spec, which would diminish demand further.

For whatever reason, JJ Sequencer was believed to be a good idea. Maybe because the programmer would prefer to develop for Windows without worrying about hardware limitations. Maybe because the JJOS sales are drying up.

Whatever it is, JJOS is in the position to have both the street cred and potential to capitalize on a potential opportunity. There's no guarantee that's what's going to happen. This is speculation, and many events could shut it down.

But technically, there is communications between the Akai PC software, and the Ren hardware. It occurs over USB. The logic is done in the CPU, but the input and output is sent over the wire to the external display and audio interface.

Depending on how it works, it could be easy or difficult. But it's most likely possible to integrate it with non-Akai software, like something built on JJ Sequencer code. It might just require patching the ins/outs, and sending graphics to the LCD.

Regardless of what people think of the new controllers, there are going to be sales. What are the odds of the Akai software being any good? It could happen, but based on what you've seen in the past, be real. Now imagine there being controllers out there, with unsatisfied customers. You're the JJOS dev, already experienced with Windows programming, already with a project you spent a lot investing in.

The protocol could be published by Akai, or it could be reverse engineered, and then it just requires a thin layer between the software you already built and the external controller. Finish the ability to open JJOS saved files, and now you've got an established market interested in buying something new from you. Then the controller hardware has been out for a while, so is marked down, and people using MPC 1000/2500s with JJOS might pick one up.

Do you see why that might cross their mind? Especially since everyone seems to be paying more attention to PC audio software and controllers than legacy MPC machines. Something motivated the development of JJ Sequencer, and that something is probably only strengthened now. They could chase the hype.

I'm not one of the people who said they hope it happens. But that some people do is just more proof for the possibility that JJOS devs are paying attention, and seeing an opportunity to cash-in on. I'm just speculating, because I run JJOS, and saw the potential for this to distract away from firmware updates.

It happened before, when JJ Sequencer was being made. I thought JJOS was over, and everything was moving to the PC, because the developer was chasing after the trends and needed to find ways to make more money. That project seemed to fail back then, but this news could change that situation.

It's possible.

I understand and agree. But it wouldn't be the traditional JJOS that many are thinking.
By mp3 Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:05 pm
JamesJeffery wrote:There is no brain inside the Ren. No embedded OS. What controls what's on the LCD is the Akai DAW. The Ren. simply sends and receives midi data.

How do you figure? There's likely more than just plain controller feedback happening.

In all likelihood, the controller hardware itself has a processor inside, controlling the display and processing all the front panel controls before sending that data to the software.
By JamesJeffery Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:38 pm
mp3 wrote:
JamesJeffery wrote:There is no brain inside the Ren. No embedded OS. What controls what's on the LCD is the Akai DAW. The Ren. simply sends and receives midi data.

How do you figure? There's likely more than just plain controller feedback happening.

In all likelihood, the controller hardware itself has a processor inside, controlling the display and processing all the front panel controls before sending that data to the software.

That's just finding faults with my wording there. Of course it's going to need to processes the data coming and going and rendering/drawing the pixels to the LCD. But, it's probably about as a powerful as a scientific calculator.
By mp3 Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:43 pm
JamesJeffery wrote:That's just finding faults with my wording there. Of course it's going to need to processes the data coming and going and rendering/drawing the pixels to the LCD. But, it's probably about as a powerful as a scientific calculator.

No, its not finding fault with your wording, its finding fault with your hypothesis. Doesn't matter how powerful its internal processor is (it doesn't need to be powerful, it doesn't do much), all that matters is that there is one, and that it runs custom code. And I'm about 100% sure there is, and it does.

Without that custom code, there's nothing JJ can do with it.
By JamesJeffery Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Removed. I'm not even going to respond. It's Akai's fault people are misinformed like this.

Just look at my signature for a slight clue as to why I know what I'm talking about.
By evil A Sulli Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:55 pm
Ren will complement the JJos to perfection eventually. JJ needs no code from the ren to make big things happen.

Always remember ren is designed to work with all MPC sequences and sound files.Now Akai may eventually let you upload programs, saved files, ect--somebody needs to make a request.

These new MPC-CPU controllers are designed to make it easier for stand alone MPC users (MPC 1000) to buy a tool to upload their wor into a computer.

You will see people buy a MPC 1000 with a ren or a slimmed down version of it.
By mp3 Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm
JamesJeffery wrote:Removed. I'm not even going to respond. It's Akai's fault people are misinformed like this.

Just look at my signature for a slight clue as to why I know what I'm talking about.

Seriously? Since we're dick wagging, I have a degree in Electrical Engineering. Concentration in microprocessors and digital systems.

I mean, that's a real clown move there homie. Really.

Anyway, I stand by what I said. If there was a way for someone to hack the Ren controller to run with custom software, then they could do the same with Maschine, right? So what are they waiting for? In fact, what are YOU waiting for? You're a software engineer. Make it happen...