Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By labcoats Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:54 am
I very much doubt Akai will sell the software only, but actually imo they should.

The point i want to make is if you had the software only - you could simply transfer the session over from your hardware MPC. This would avoid the need for tracking out your stuff from your HW MPC. (providing your happy with the sound)

Just a thought.

EDIT
Disregard completely what I said above. It does not import programme data from all previous MPCs. On the Akai site it says can import samples from any previous MPC. That is not so impressive at all. Misinformation was spread about it being able to import all that stuff. I picked up on it, believed it and posted the above.

Update.
This is what it says:

Supports samples and sequences from any MPC ever made

Understandable how folks started posting it imports all previous MPC data.
By mp3 Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:09 pm
You're right that the site doesn't specifically state that it can import programs. But for the record, the site also doesn't specifically state that it can't import programs.

So as of right now (and in common with a number of other aspects about the machine) its an unknown. However... There's really no point in importing a sequence if you can't import the program(s) that it uses. So if we are to make an assumption, the logical one is that it will import both the sequence and the program(s). Or that it will import neither.
By DJ Hellfire Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 pm
labcoats wrote:I very much doubt Akai will sell the software only, but actually imo they should.

The point i want to make is if you had the software only - you could simply transfer the session over from your hardware MPC. This would avoid the need for tracking out your stuff from your HW MPC. (providing your happy with the sound)

Just a thought.

EDIT
Disregard completely what I said above. It does not import programme data from all previous MPCs. On the Akai site it says can import samples from any previous MPC. That is not so impressive at all. Misinformation was spread about it being able to import all that stuff. I picked up on it, believed it and posted the above.

Update.
This is what it says:

Supports samples and sequences from any MPC ever made

Understandable how folks started posting it imports all previous MPC data.

That would be GREAT though! I would love that! But I would hope that "Samples and Sequences" would include programs as well. Shouldn't be hard for them to include program data since Maschine can read MPC program data. Wouldn't make sense for them not to include it with Ren. Maybe they just left the term "program data" out of the list?

mp3 wrote:There's really no point in importing a sequence if you can't import the program(s) that it uses.

Yup! Excellent point!
By dtaa pla muk Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:08 pm
AKAI would be making a very large mistake if they do not sell/allow their software to be used independently of the controller. it should also be able to be used with midi controllers made by other manufacturers.

as mentioned in the midi control thread.
By DJ Hellfire Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 pm
tapedeck wrote:im curious - can a newer gen mpc (1k, 2.5k, 5k) read and interpret programs from older models, such as the 2k, xl or even older like 3000?

Yeah, but from my experience, loading beats from my XL to my 2500 is not 100% smooth. Some of the program parameters get all **** up. Could be a JJOS thing though. However, the XL loads my boys 2000 classic beats just fine!
By blueopus Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 pm
I'm pretty sure the software will be able to read programs too, even though it doesn't says on the website. Because otherwise the value of mpc 1000/2500/5000 is not sustained... but if its possible to make beats with them and then load the beats in the software plugin there is still a market for these older mpc's AND the new controllers.

The MPC Ren & Studio is the future for shure, but it would be completely INSANE not to incorporate the whole MPC legacy into the future a little bit with the ability to open complete projects (.all/midi with .pgm and sounds) in the new mpc software.
It would keep the MPC trademark alive and strong for a longer time.

Let's hope I'm not wrong... :?
By jpeg Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:00 pm
bare in mind the magic of these integrated units is the combination od using them in tandem,

like the maschine software by itself is unremarkable but the work flow that u get when controlling choping and beat production duties from the controller is where the magic is.