Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By JAH Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:59 am
So what do you think these new MPCs will cost? The same price as Maschine? Lower?

I must be missing something. All Akai pad controllers are USB powered now. And at least the one I have also has an external power supply. Maschine is USB powered only. It it also has plenty of lights/back lit pads/button not to mention two LCDs.
By Formant Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:13 am
The difference with the mpc500 is that it actualy samples standalone :)

Further, this thing must be usb powered since it doesnt seem to draw as much current lacking the interface. Thing is, often with laptops and macbooks you have one high powered usb port which is often selected by the first item you plug in.
If you have a flash drive on the other usb first you might get inacurate behaviour because there's not enough juice to feed it.
By JamesJeffery Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:12 am
Akai tweeted (or may have been fb) yesterday they had some legends in the room next door on the new machines. I don't understand why they used the same beat.

Looks nice though. Not sure if I'll get it yet though. Will wait for reviews and the software.
By cyrus Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:46 am
I see them @ 599 with the studio.

NI has the ability to bundle its other software with maschine and keep it at the same price to put together a more attractive package. (maschine + kontakt, or maschine + komplete).

Not sure how akai will handle something like that, other than just straight dropping the price significantly.
By JAH Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 am
I would go with $1199-$1499 for MPC Ren and $499-$599 for the MPC Studio.

I know most here would cringe at the price. But flagship MPCs have been designed for serious studio work. And its reflected in the costs. You have the folks that say..its just a controller. But if you look at mid range controllers like Mackie Control and the Euphonix Artist Control, they are priced between $1000-$1500.

I would also make this controller fully mappable. So you could use it with other drum/sequencing software.

Then I would put the MPC Fly right about $699-$799....and also hope it uses the same software. But then again apps don't seem very powerful...idk
By master-ceo Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:00 pm
If its not stand alone with midi ports, its not a MPC500 or 1k upgrade.

MPC Studio and a Mac Book Air would be cool together though.
By cyrus Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:08 pm
JAH wrote:I would go with $1199-$1499 for MPC Ren and $499-$599 for the MPC Studio.

I know most here would cringe at the price. But flagship MPCs have been designed for serious studio work. And its reflected in the costs. You have the folks that say..its just a controller. But if you look at mid range controllers like Mackie Control and the Euphonix Artist Control, they are priced between $1000-$1500.

I would also make this controller fully mappable. So you could use it with other drum/sequencing software.

Then I would put the MPC Fly right about $699-$799....and also hope it uses the same software. But then again apps don't seem very powerful...idk

JAH,
dont you think thats a tad bit expensive for the MPC Fly? It requires an ipad which not everyone has, unlike the other 2 its safe to bet most users have computers, but ipads? not to mention most ipad apps are cheap, so most will expect the price to be lower (even if its the only thing like it on the market) and you dont really have much there.
By master-ceo Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:18 pm
cyrus wrote:
JAH,
dont you think thats a tad bit expensive for the MPC Fly? It requires an ipad which not everyone has, unlike the other 2 its safe to bet most users have computers, but ipads? not to mention most ipad apps are cheap, so most will expect the price to be lower (even if its the only thing like it on the market) and you dont really have much there.

Agreed. I put it at $150-199 USD @ The most.
By Mike Boogie Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:00 pm
I'm making a write-up the whole new lineup soon but my question is

How are the MIDI in's and out's going to work??

Are they 5-pin MIDI to 1/8in barrel jacks?