Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Jamon Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 am
The Renaissance was the bridge between middle ages and modern era. That's what this is all about. It's the attempt to bridge old school MPC hardware into the new PC-based audio scene. It's primarily about carrying over the "cool factor" of the old MPC hardware, to keep the brand valuable, even if the hardware-style technology is no longer relevant, or even produced. The MPD brand failed to be as respected as the MPC, so they combined it with old-school image to make MPC Renaissance.

It seems that most people interested in the MPC primarily care about the image. These tend to be people trying to compete in a "hip hop" game, where the MPC is considered to be a necessary component of success. They speak of MPC timing, swing, and classic sound. They mention their idols, and winners of the past, who all used MPC to get there. They want to get there too. They're playing a game, and trying to score, for money, fame, women, respect.

Then there's another type, that are primarily interested because it's the only hardware sequencer around that does what it does how it does. It seems like most of the other hardware sequencers are step-based, or built into keyboard workstations. These people are more likely to make other genres of music, and if they do make beats, it's more likely to be more for the art, where they actually care about the craft more than just what it can do for them if they "win".

That's what makes this MPC Software such an interesting move. For me, the only reason why I own MPC hardware, is because it frees me from the PC. That's it. I was able to do everything I can do with the MPC, and far more, with PC software and a MIDI controller. The MPC is severely limited, and does not have magic sound or swing, and it's not a lucky charm that wins you prizes. It's just an old sampler and MIDI sequencer, that is the most similar to PC software.

I know I'm not alone, in not wanting to have to look at the computer, and feel tied down to it, having to reach for the mouse. It's a step down in many ways, but the MPC is all there is that can replace PC software. With JJ OS, there are audio tracks, that can be layered with MIDI, and it's similar to typical "DAW" software. It's also more modular than having a big keyboard workstation, because the MPC can be the center console, and you can plug multiple synths into it.

But, that seems to be a minority of the MPC owners. Mostly, people feel like "Akai MPC" is something powerful. Not just the machine, but what they believe it does. It's like someone who idolized Michael Jordan, and wore Nike shoes. It's more about the name, the image, the feeling of power that comes from that symbol, because they want to be a winner too. Someone who is more interested in basketball itself, would care more about the equipment and skills, not the shoes.

But most people, are interested not in the craft itself, but what they believe it can do. If the dominant chimp is seen by lower status males, to be able to eat whatever he wants, and copulate with any female he wants, then they want to be like him, because they want food and sex too. Since they can't naturally be like him, wishing to be more handsome, strong, and talented, then what can they do? They can copy, and hope that's the key. That it's not who he is, but how he is.

If the winner is seen smashing bananas on his head and wearing the peely moosh as a hat, then as ridiculous as it is, other will follow, hoping his success will transfer from the natural ape, to the object, and then to any other ape that has the same object. It works too. If some rich guy in your city has rotting teeth and gets them filled with gold, and everyone sees this, then when a poor guy copies and gets a gold tooth too, then it has a certain effect, where he gets more win for a while.

With the MPC Ren, it's PC software, and MIDI controller, just like before. There's nothing special about the MPC sound or interface. It's just what was practical when people were trying to build it with pieces they had available. For many tasks, the data wheel is a relic, like manually lowering a drawbridge. There are some things that are quicker, but PC software has so much more potential for growth, power, and customization. It's just, that it's virtual, and within a GUI.

There's nothing stopping anyone from designing a PC-based graphical interface that is just as direct as hardware interfaces. The MPC could be designed much better in that regard. Why 6 F-buttons? Why cursor buttons? Why a data wheel? It could all be improved, using new ideas and components. We have more possibility now, like multitouch panels. There's no need for menus and naming a track by turning a wheel. There's no need for PC GUI inefficiencies either.

But most PC software is stuck in the typical GUI approach, with menus, and scrolling windows, that require the mouse. People are so expectant of this way, that even when they design hardware controllers, and software to interface with them, they still don't make it absolutely controllable by hardware. Almost everything requires clicks, somewhere, some time. That's not a limitation of the technology, it's just people unable to think beyond either the hardware, or software template.

That is what made the MPC technically different. It is based on the hardware approach, where there's dedicated buttons, and no mouse cursor. It's more like if you designed a GUI application that only used a keybaord, with no dropdown menus, or floating windows. The hardware approach, like the MPC, is more like a DOS interface, and PC software is Windows. For people like me, who don't want the GUI approach, the MPC is the best option, because software developers don't get it yet.

So when the MPC Ren comes out, it is a MPD + GUI app, but they call it a MPC. At first this is confusing, because MPC has been previously defined to mean two things to the two types of interests: 1) hardware, 2) symbol of power. For the people interested in it because it is hardware, the MPC Ren is disqualified. It's like if you want the shoes because they're bouncy and comfy to play basketball in, and they come out with Nike Air Jordans that look like Converse. It doesn't work.

But what about the majority of people who are in it for the symbol of power. For them, it's all psychological. It's not about what it is, but what it can do socially. It has to function, enough for winners to be seen using it, the Jordans of the hip hop scene. Then the power can be transferred to it, and legitimize it as a true MPC, which then brings all that historic success the name carries. They might not even know the difference between the old MPC hardware, and new MPD software.

So for them, all that matters is if MPC in the software form is going to be accepted in the social group as the same powerful fetish of power as MPC hardware was. If it were accepted, and felt to be powerful by their peers, they'd be hyped about the new Akai MPC smashed banana hat, if they made one. Because really the MPC is only as good as it makes them feel, like someone strutting in their Nikes, where peers look at them as more valuable players because of it, and they win.

Because really, if it weren't for needing to try to carry over the power from the MPC fetish that's already established, then there'd be no good reason to build what they did. If you started from scratch, and actually tried to build what's best for the craft, you know you wouldn't come up with the MPC as it looks, with its hardware controls of the type they are, with the same function keys and text interface. You'd come up with something revolutionary, that had more efficient workflow.

But if Numark did that, they'd have to start from scratch, and look at Beat Kangz. That's exactly what they did. They tried to make a new symbol of power, to beat the Akai MPC. That's why it had grillz, and could be worn on your chain. That's why it was marketed so ridiculously. It was a naive attempt to foster cool, instead of just chasing it. Numark is smarter. They know it's too risky to try that, and odds are the kids will just laugh at you. Instead, you buy an established brand.

Akai. MPC. Those don't exist anymore, not really, not the tool behind the name. But the image is still there, though it's somewhat damaged now. But that's what the MPC Ren is all about, trying to transition the power of the brand into PC software. That's a bold move, because it's so fundamentally different. "MPC" for many is synonymous with "hardware sequencer". But for many more, it's "power". If people can pull out an iPad and Akai MPC thing, and be popular, then it works.

The software will have to work enough to make it somewhat respectable by those who are old school hardware users. Otherwise, it's too different from what they know to be MPC, and if they give the thumbs down, it trickles down the social ladder and the posers can't use it to feel power. But, with things like vintage mode, that besides audio effects might emulate the graphical display on the LCD of what old MPC hardware looked like, the illusion might be complete enough.

Then "Akai MPC" lives on, surviving into the software realm, where it's cheaper for Akai to turn a profit. Which is great for those wearing their gear like trendy shoes. But for people who only use MPC because it's the only hardware tool around that does what it does, then it's not even an option. If it were an option, then why use Akai's solution? Why not use a new paradigm, that's not stuck in what was designed for limitations of technology that's like what, 20 years old now?

(If you choose to reply, hit "Reply", not "Quote", because it's long, and people don't want to have to scroll past what was already posted)
By JAH Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:11 am
That was really well thought out. I can see you put in a lot of your time to tell people how you honestly feel. I think most will appreciate this.

The only thing I want to address is your implication that MPC hardware layout is dated. The MPCs data wheel, cursor buttons, and F keys and the steering wheel, clutch, and pedal of a sports car. You are not going anywhere fast without these essentials. But for someone like you that believe they are old and outdated (pssss...all highend workstations have these), you can go simply with your keyboard and mouse. But the integration of the hardware with the sampler and sequencer is the manin reasons why individuals buy Maschine and of course MPC in the first place. Multi-touch is a cute gimmick. Besides, hook a touch sreen monitor up to your computer if that is what you need.
By evil A Sulli Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:30 pm
To me it looks like Akai wants its undisputed crown back for good. The slim is going to be a hot ticket especially if they get the software to load other files.The slim is a poor man dream come true to get to use the mpc's feel.
By dcook79 Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:42 pm
evil A Sulli wrote:To me it looks like Akai wants its undisputed crown back for good. The slim is going to be a hot ticket especially if they get the software to load other files.The slim is a poor man dream come true to get to use the mpc's feel.

load other files types....like....? daw project files...? rex...? just curious what you mean/looking for?
By sally Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 pm
I say:

+ 1 for jamon topic.

MPCforum.com wrote:

MPC Studio Environments
all the equipment in
your studio and how they interact... with
the MPC.

The next hard hardware

MAXIMUN POTENTIAL CONTROLLED
By jpeg Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 pm
that post was far too long to read

but maschine was already the link between old and new skool

the software looked shit in the first vid but alot better in the 2nd vid so time will tell.

all i know is i saw the mouse moving around alot so i hope dame near everything can be done from the controller otherwise the shit is no good.
By JVC Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 pm
To me, and I think for many other long time MPC users, Akai Pro's reputation has been already tarnished already, after releasing MPC-500 and MPC-5000.
We all know that Akai Pro (which is really Alesis now) never supported MPC-2000/XL, 3000, and 4000, yet I see those MPCs on the MPC Ren's Promo video (MPC-5000 and MPC-500 do not show up in the video at all.)
(MPC-4000 were the last MPC model that were developed by the original Akai Pro in Japan before it went under, and its brand name were bought by Alesis / Numark.)

If anything, Akai Pro has to work on rebuild reputation by provide better, and longer product supports.
By thx Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:28 pm
jpeg wrote:that post was far too long to read

could be
but it's on point
i agree with Jamon
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:31 pm
sally wrote: + 1 for jamon topic.

sally wrote:MAXIMUN POTENTIAL CONTROLLED

That's pretty good, I like that name :lol:

jpeg wrote:i hope dame near everything can be done from the controller otherwise the shit is no good.

That would throw me off as well.
By Suicide Server Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:38 pm
But is reputation really the key issue ? For me its more if they can replicate the workflow and the sound of the legacy mpcs and yes maybe also a little bit of brand. If they can nail this, im all in.

Cheers
By sally Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:59 pm
padlock wrote:
sally wrote:akai,
do not forget to listen to me,
you will do better.
for example:
change 2 joysticks *
* first change (joystick R ) for:
keys up, down, left and right
* second change (joystick L ) for:
- zoom in, out
- x-y parameters
- and much more.....
- thanks for all your atention.

will get it...
interesting concept

oh yes!!
I have very good concepts, oftentimes.

Lampdog wrote:
sally wrote: + 1 for jamon topic.

sally wrote:MAXIMUN POTENTIAL CONTROLLED

That's pretty good, I like that name :lol:

I have a better name, still.
does not begin with the letter M,
begins with the letter W.

it´s serious.

JamesJeffery wrote: 100% legit.

:wink:
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:55 pm
[quote="sally"]does not begin with the letter M,
begins with the letter W.

it´s serious.

Womans Precious Controller :lol:
By mp3 Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:33 pm
Essay much? :lol:

My slightly shorter essay: It takes years to build a reputation and years for it to crumble. If this doesn't work out, then they'll just go back to hardware and be done with it. Or maybe they'll try again. But as long as there are 60mkI's and S5000s (etc...) still going strong, Akai's rep is in good shape.

I think the most dangerous thing for hardware companies getting into software is that it really is a different business model.
By Retrofreak Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:30 pm
If Akai do the below I can see them having a huge hit on their hands:

1. Consistent with updates, bug fixes and feature requests.
2. Allow MPC Ren software to work with legacy MPC's and other midi controllers.
3. Competitive on pricing.