Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By kneebone77 Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:45 pm
JAH wrote:A new product loading old formats is one thing. But for it to save in a legacy format is another. I am thinking most of the projects and programs created on the Ren would be too large in size for it to convert it to be used in legacy MPCs limited to 32 MBs of memory.

You Could keep your file size small.
By JAH Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:02 am
kneebone77 wrote:
JAH wrote:A new product loading old formats is one thing. But for it to save in a legacy format is another. I am thinking most of the projects and programs created on the Ren would be too large in size for it to convert it to be used in legacy MPCs limited to 32 MBs of memory.

So you will be worrying about keeping your file size small instead of making music?

Anything is possible...but based upon past MPCs, newer models haven't be able to save in legacy formats.

*There is a reported Akai tweet that files will be backwards compatble. I guess we will know in time.
By kneebone77 Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 am
JAH wrote:
kneebone77 wrote:

least Pro

So you will be worrying about keeping your file size small instead of making music?

Anything is possible...but based upon past MPCs, newer models haven't be able to save in legacy formats.

*There is a reported Akai tweet that files will be backwards compatible. I guess we will know in time.

keep in mind though that those MPC's were not integrated in PC software. Who knows what type of sample conversion schemes a computer could do to make the notion feasible... Besides, I doubt even the beats I create entirely from my computer are 32mb. 32mb = 15min of sample time. not enough? The notion as at least probable.
By evil A Sulli Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:06 am

It should be possible for Akai to have forward and backwards comparability for all machines. For older machines you may have to press a convert button before you can load into those machines.

The question now is Akai willing to code the software to make two users of the MPC 3000 happy. If I was Akai I would do it just for the sake of word-of-mouth.
By JAH Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:08 am
How many people would actually create something onboard the MPC Ren and then want to transfer it to older MPCs like a 3000? Would they really want to transfer MPC Ren created files to floppies and zip disks? Would this benefit the majority of people in the market for this product? The projects created on the MPC Ren can have automations, modulations, and even large amount of sequence data that older MPCs don't support....so your tracks would sound different when loaded into a legacy MPC.

So you would spend all your time getting your music to sound right in the MPC Ren and then hope some covert function will translates your files into something that can be read by an MPC 3000...only to have it sound completely different?
By cyrus Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 am
JAH wrote:How many people would actually create something onboard the MPC Ren and then want to transfer it to older MPCs like a 3000? Would they really want to transfer MPC Ren created files to floppies and zip disks? Would this benefit the majority of people in the market for this product? The projects created on the MPC Ren can have automations, modulations, and even large amount of sequence data that older MPCs don't support....so your tracks would sound different when loaded into a legacy MPC.

So you would spend all your time getting your music to sound right in the MPC Ren and then hope some covert function will translates your files into something that can be read by an MPC 3000...only to have it sound completely different?

valid point about the sequence and sample data............but why not atleast, be able to export programs or just let the other stuff be ignored?

the point i would make is: you have people holding onto legacy peices of gear (ill forever own my mpc3000). there are some who do have the attitude that they don't want to change to the new mpcs (actually, why should you? )....this could be a selling point for these people. let the expierience of the legacy mpcs continue, but give them a benefit of being able to manage samples and export pgms on the computer with the new mpc.

at bare minimum, a way to assign samples to pgm, use the computer to chop things up mpc style, but then still be able to load that program into your legacy mpc.

like mpc maid, blue box, mpceditor, but for all legacy mpcs. if you check these out, they are simple, not too much to them and all they really accoplish are making an easy way to create pgms on the computer.
By JAH Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:17 am
Do you guys have legacy MPCs that you need supported and opposed to what you believe others would want?

As a 2000XL owner, I am interested in the MPC Ren loading its files but not the other way around.
By gertie Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 am
Id be well impressed if akai actually for once did something useful for its users....make a little software utility which will be comptabile for all its machines, both new and legacy....eg make a program with samples on your pc and convert it into any other mpc format.....its quite ridiculous akai never developed this yet...... :roll: it shouldnt take too much coding....
at the moment mpc editor (for the 3k) seems no longer to be for sale....and the free version removed this: MPC3000 formatter that allows Windows XP write to MPC3000 disks :?

go on JAH...make it happen...purrrrrlease

why have the software be able to convert from any type mpc format for load into renaissance, and not have it work the other way round too?? doesnt make sense to me...unless of course akai only care about new sales, and not about all those customers who previously bought machines
By inthemix Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 pm
Jah, I take it you are affiliated with NUkai in some way ? You are awfully knowledgeable about anything MPC ??
By JAH Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:52 am
That's from reading all of Tutor's ebooks.....click on the links above and to the right. You will be here talking about MIDI sync, CC messages, ppqns, etc in no time.