Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By xparis001 Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:15 pm
to further explain what I said by "if they're willing to share their file format", this isnt a request for source code, and JJ will know that. it's a request for documentation on what bit is what in his file format. He'll know what we mean.
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:50 pm
JAH wrote:So when companies make samplers that can load other companies formats, do they have to pay a fee?

That is actually something I was curious about too... not really relating to this case here.. but in general. I am not sure about paying, but I am sure they need to get some sort of license if the format is within a certain age, also it likely depends on the individual circumstances of the format I am thinking..

for example, did imageline get permission to use REX files from propellerhead when the slicer first came out? and did akai need to as well all these years later (with this new software I am talking) .. who knows.

I know in some other formats companies need to do that.. I think movie editing programs need to get a license to use the mpeg format.. dont quote me on that though..
By Funkydrops Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm
Yeah, they would have to pay, as they do for using third party licensed patents.

What I would love JJ to ask is to trade that for the 2000XL and 500 OS Source-Codes, with an agreement to freely develop a third party OS as he did for 1K, and 2.5K... that will be boss.
By distortedtekno Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:03 pm
xparis001 wrote:to further explain what I said by "if they're willing to share their file format", this isnt a request for source code, and JJ will know that. it's a request for documentation on what bit is what in his file format. He'll know what we mean.

File formats shouldn't be a problem. That's really all that's needed. Akai doesn't need the entire source code. So if it's just as simple as sharing file formats, I'm sure everything will work out between JJ and Akai.
By distortedtekno Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 pm
Funkydrops wrote:Yeah, they would have to pay, as they do for using third party licensed patents.

What I would love JJ to ask is to trade that for the 2000XL and 500 OS Source-Codes, with an agreement to freely develop a third party OS as he did for 1K, and 2.5K... that will be boss.

Now THAT would REALLY make things VERY interesting!!! :D
By JAH Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm
So who is going to champion this? Anybody here have a good relationship with JJ that can make this happen?
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:53 pm
JAH wrote:So who is going to champion this? Anybody here have a good relationship with JJ that can make this happen?

Nym maybe? but I dont think he is extremely interested in this new product range...
By JAH Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:57 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
JAH wrote:So who is going to champion this? Anybody here have a good relationship with JJ that can make this happen?

Nym maybe? but I dont think he is extremely interested in this new product range...

Which is ok. But there are MPC 2500/1000 JJ OS users that are.
By distortedtekno Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:59 pm
mr_debauch wrote:

If Nym isn't interested, I can always communicate to JJ. I'm not looking to contact JJ right away, as I'd rather keep discussion open here in this topic for any other details beforehand.
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm
JAH wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:

Which is ok. But there are MPC 2500/1000 JJ OS users that are.

actually, if JJ is japanese, maybe you would have luck writing him a letter if you can write in japanese which I am guessing you probably do.. no?
By JAH Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm
mr_debauch wrote:actually, if JJ is japanese, maybe you would have luck writing him a letter if you can write in japanese which I am guessing you probably do.. no?

Duh...I didn't think about that one. But only my girl speaks/writes Japanese. I posted a thread in the JJ OS Forum taking a poll to see who is interested and if someone want to take the lead in contacting JJ and directing him to the poll if there is a number of Forum Members who would like this.

At the same time, I will write a letter to JJ and have my girl translate it. I will post the letter in the forums and email it to JJ if Forum Members would like such support. (for those that don't want this type of support.....shhhhh, keep it to yourselves :P ).
By distortedtekno Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:17 pm
JAH wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:actually, if JJ is japanese, maybe you would have luck writing him a letter if you can write in japanese which I am guessing you probably do.. no?

Duh...I didn't think about that one. But only my girl speaks/writes Japanese. I posted a thread in the JJ OS Forum taking a poll to see who is interested and if someone want to take the lead in contacting JJ and directing him to the poll if there is a number of Forum Members who would like this.

At the same time, I will write a letter to JJ and have my girl translate it. I will post the letter in the forums and email it to JJ if Forum Members would like such support. (for those that don't want this type of support.....shhhhh, keep it to yourselves :P ).

I haven't made it over to the JJ OS forum yet. I keep coming back here for all the latest news. So I'll hit up that poll, and definitely appreciate you and your girl being able to translate and communicate that much easier for all of us. Thanks Jah! :)
By JAH Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:21 pm
distortedtekno wrote:
JAH wrote:

I haven't made it over to the JJ OS forum yet. I keep coming back here for all the latest news. So I'll hit up that poll, and definitely appreciate you and your girl being able to translate and communicate that much easier for all of us. Thanks Jah! :)

No problem. I don't mind doing what I can to help this community.