Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By S4v Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 am
I just sold my 4000 and in a few months i'm gonna buy a new mpc. I would love to buy a new, supported mpc so the ren looks interesting, and from the i/o of the hardware it SEEMS like you can use it standalone, but every vid shows it being used with the software.

I'm not gonna lie, i'm not a fan of using the computer to create music, only when i'm done with all my sequences can i tolerate using them. Can i use the mpc ren as a standalone and have access to the typical mpc functions?
By S4v Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:54 am
thanks for the replies fellas. If i can plug it into a laptop, work from the flipscreen, and ignore the laptop it may be ok. I'll keep using my homies jjos 1000 until then
By WOEBOT Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 pm
reeloy wrote:...nope.

it's nothing but a controler...simple as that.

well - i guess why would i be interested in it?

i got an mpc because i dont like working on computers.

simples.

i do wish them well with it though....
By JAH Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 am
Personally, if I am not interested in a product...I wouldn't post or even visit a forum dedicated to it.
By zippertafari Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 pm
You cannot use the Ren standalone.
I repeat: You cannot use the Ren standalone.
if you could've then the ads would have said so.
I appreciate that there might be some discussion over what is standalone. I'm defining it as not needing any other equipment to get it started and use it.
For the moment, I'll stick with my 3000. I'm interested in the emulation feature being promised.
But currently: the mpc Ren, which looks like a well-designed, promising bit of kit is not on my radar.
This may change.
By DJ Hellfire Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:56 pm
zippertafari wrote:You cannot use the Ren standalone.
I repeat: You cannot use the Ren standalone.
if you could've then the ads would have said so.
I appreciate that there might be some discussion over what is standalone. I'm defining it as not needing any other equipment to get it started and use it.
For the moment, I'll stick with my 3000. I'm interested in the emulation feature being promised.
But currently: the mpc Ren, which looks like a well-designed, promising bit of kit is not on my radar.
This may change.

In the video they are talking about as a standalone application on your computer. Meaning you don't need a DAW to host it.
By zippertafari Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:17 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:In the video they are talking about as a standalone application on your computer. Meaning you don't need a DAW to host it.

If its connected to your computer, then I don't consider it standalone.
They can phrase it however they wish. I think its just "clever" marketing.
By Sm0keydaBear Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:58 pm
Yah that part seems kind of vague to me, but what I'm getting from the video is it's saying that you can sample into and assign everything without having to use a DAW or the program that it comes with. It does seem that it can do everything without the computer, but maybe not save to compact flash or something. Maybe you just have to save to the computer.
By DJ Hellfire Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:51 am
zippertafari wrote:
DJ Hellfire wrote:In the video they are talking about as a standalone application on your computer. Meaning you don't need a DAW to host it.

If its connected to your computer, then I don't consider it standalone.
They can phrase it however they wish. I think its just "clever" marketing.

Doesn't matter what you consider it. It just is what it is. He didn't use any "clever" marketing phrases. It's a common term used for software production apps. For example, with Reason, you can use it as a standalone application (keyword application), or you can use your DAW to host it via rewire. The MPC software will operate the exact same way, as many other production programs do. He explicitly said "Standalone application." Don't blame them because you are ignorant to the terminology used.
By tapedeck Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:43 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:Don't blame them because you are ignorant to the terminology used.

come on now A LOT of people are making this same misinterpretation and i dont think that it's fair to call that ignorant. you are right, an app can be standalone too but (and i dont think they said it on purpose), the whole term is throwing a lot of people off.

probably because a lot of people do want it to be 'standalone' as in un-tethered. i dont think this is ignorance as i do think the situation is a little confusing.

ive said it before i think changing the 'c' to 'controller' is going to cause this exact kind of confusion but i mean they bought the name might as well use it. :mrgreen: