Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By DJ Hellfire Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:58 am
I wouldn't really consider it much of a fail. You would just use your sound cards phones jack just as you would with Maschine. Although, it would be nicer to have the headphone cable close, and not stretching all the way to you interface or laptop.
By Retrofreak Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:03 am
I just don't see the point in having an ultra thin device that's not portable, this should've been standalone with the Ren software to back it up.

Akai would've had a full product range then imo.
By DJ Hellfire Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:38 am
Retrofreak wrote:I just don't see the point in having an ultra thin device that's not portable, this should've been standalone with the Ren software to back it up.

If they made it to compete (or replace) Maschine, as far as portability goes, I think it does the job, at least as good as Maschine does. But it won't replace an MPC 1000 for standalone portability!
By Retrofreak Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:44 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:
Retrofreak wrote:I just don't see the point in having an ultra thin device that's not portable, this should've been standalone with the Ren software to back it up.

If they made it to compete (or replace) Maschine, as far as portability goes, I think it does the job, at least as good as Maschine does. But it won't replace an MPC 1000 for standalone portability!

I hear ya, but Maschine is buss powered, so I can use it on a train/plane etc.

MPC Studio is not, hence why I feel it's potential fail in that regard.

If they made it standalone they would've knocked it out the park
Last edited by Retrofreak on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By emptysea Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:48 am
Retrofreak wrote:Maschine is bus powered, so I can use it on a train/plane etc.

Yup. Seems more like Akai's engineering shortcoming considering the APC40 also has to be plugged into an outlet while Novation Launchpad can be usb bus powered much like these new "MPC"s needing AC adapters while Maschine is usb bus powered.
By JAH Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 am
If you want a "hybrid" your best option is the Beat Thang.

According to the Studio's specs, power is via USB or external power supply. Maschine appears to have 1 LED for each pad. These newer MPCs have 5 it appears. If the Studio's LCD is like that of the MPC 2500, I would think it would draw more power than what Maschine has. So it makes sense that having way more LEDs that the Studio would probably need an external power supply as some computers may not be able to power it sufficiently especially if you have other items plugged into USB ports. Its too thin for its own power supply.

Since every laptop has a headphone output, it is not necessary to have one onboard the Studio...probably the same reason why Maschine doesn't have one.
By Retrofreak Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:08 am
JAH wrote:If you want a "hybrid" your best option is the Beat Thang.

According to the Studio's specs, power is via USB or external power supply. Maschine appears to have 1 LED for each pad. These newer MPCs have 5 it appears. If the Studio's LCD is like that of the MPC 2500, I would think it would draw more power than what Maschine has. So it makes sense that have way more LEDs that the Studio would probably need an external power supply. Its too thin for its own power supply.

Since every laptop has a headphone output, it is not necessary to have one onboard the Studio...probably the same reason why Maschine doesn't have one.

Jah I hear you, but I really think that Akai could be missing a trick with the Studio.

The whole point of a portable device is to be that "Portable" and it is not.

If this device was standalone or at least buss powered it would be even more attractive.

I can't see myself carrying my MBP, MPC Studio + power supply, i'd just use my laptop tbh.

Shame really as I really like the design, i'll wait for a standalone Studio.
By mr_debauch Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:10 am
JAH wrote:If you want a "hybrid" your best option is the Beat Thang.

According to the Studio's specs, power is via USB or external power supply. Maschine appears to have 1 LED for each pad. These newer MPCs have 5 it appears. If the Studio's LCD is like that of the MPC 2500, I would think it would draw more power than what Maschine has. So it makes sense that having way more LEDs that the Studio would probably need an external power supply as some computers may not be able to power it sufficiently especially if you have other items plugged into USB ports. Its too thin for its own power supply.

well you could be right.. but they likely used multi coloured LEDS
By JAH Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 am
I would expect bi-colored LEDs to draw more power. And also the qlink knobs are touch sensitive. Don't forget the MIDI input and output breakout cable. Its obvious that if an external power supply is needed, there is much more going on under the hood.
By tapedeck Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:42 am
JAH wrote:Its obvious that if an external power supply is needed, there is much more going on under the hood.

it's not obvious - it could be poor design.

it's important to keep these things in mind so we can all make informed decisions.
By psr Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 am
tha truth wrote:Wow!! The studio has no headphone Jack??? EPIC FAIL!!!

it's not supposed to have headphone jacks its a controller. :P :P mpd's and mpk's dont have headphone jacks either. controllers have no source for sound. thats maybe the confusion that Akai may have created when they changed the C in MPC to controller, people expect MPC (C=center) features and its not the same deal. but I do believe the future is bright. there may be a standalone hybrid mpc in the future but they have to take steps towards it. i cant say they sold out. looks like they are listening pretty well.
By JAH Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:00 am
tapedeck wrote:
JAH wrote:Its obvious that if an external power supply is needed, there is much more going on under the hood.

it's important to keep these things in mind so we can all make informed decisions.

From what I have read here...it seems people are jumping to conclusions. Did some one find a review that indicated the MPC Studio is not buss powered? The Akai website as well as the video demo's at Namm indicates the Studio is buss powered.

So why is there an external power supply? Computers can supply power to USB ports. But depending on your computer, having too many things plugged in, will cause issues with supplying devices with enough power. I have a USB multicard reader and a CD burner that use dual USB ports for power because of potential isses regarding buss power. Gentleman...this is basic computing. I am not trying to call people out on this...but if you can't understand this concept, you should probably go with a different product.

This looks like a much needed forum sticky when the product is released.
By Retrofreak Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 am
JAH wrote:
tapedeck wrote:

From what I have read here...it seems people are jumping to conclusions. Did some one find a review that indicated the MPC Studio is not buss powered? The Akai website as well as the video demo's at Namm indicates the Studio is buss powered.

So why is there an external power supply? Computers can supply power to USB ports. But depending on your computer, having too many things plugged in, will cause issues with supplying devices with enough power. I have a USB multicard reader and a CD burner that use dual USB ports for power because of potential isses regarding buss power. Gentleman...this is basic computing. I am not trying to call people out on this...but if you can't understand this concept, you should probably go with a different product.

This looks like a much needed forum sticky when the product is released.

I can only go by whats been shown and in most clips and demos the Studio has had a power supply plugged in and it's worrying.

I'd rather take buss powered and standalone over too many flashing LED's.

I just don't see the point in carrying multiple devices to make a beat on the go, the Studio should've been able to work standalone imo.

I'm going with REN as it's suits me more as it's not trying to be portable, but apart from the Fly, there isn't a new MPC that I can simply put on my lap, plug some headphones in and jam with whilst on the go.
By tapedeck Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:14 am
yer right, i personally dont know if it's bus powered or not, but i still think it's important to not jump to conclusions like, 'if it has an ac adapter it must be more powerful'.

its gonna be a looooooong 6 months waiting for this shit to come out when we can actually know for sure :mrgreen:
By DJ Hellfire Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:30 am
Retrofreak wrote:
DJ Hellfire wrote:

I hear ya, but Maschine is buss powered, so I can use it on a train/plane etc.

Yeah, true. I keep forgetting! Even though we just mentioned it! :lol: