Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By emptysea Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 pm
Danoc wrote:The concept of going computer base been out there Akai just didn't step that direction. It's kinda smart on their end because they get to sit back and see what the other one doesn't have and then come with the wickedness like their doing!

Except we already know these new MPCs fall short of what already exists in Maschine in a very basic but crucial areas.

You'll still be forced to stare at the computer screen with these new MPCs because they won't have the level of integration of Maschine that shows you everything in the hardware's LCD display like the actual waveform so that you can even turn off the computer screen if you choose to. You also can't sample while applying effects to incoming audio with the new MPCs which is something Maschine can already do. This is a step back since those things can be done in existing MPCs.
By JAH Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 pm
emptysea wrote:
Danoc wrote:The concept of going computer base been out there Akai just didn't step that direction. It's kinda smart on their end because they get to sit back and see what the other one doesn't have and then come with the wickedness like their doing!

Except we already know these new MPCs fall short of what already exists in Maschine in a very basic but crucial areas.

You'll still be forced to stare at the computer screen with these new MPCs because they won't have the level of integration of Maschine that shows you everything in the hardware's LCD display like the actual waveform so that you can even turn off the computer screen if you choose to. You also can't sample while applying effects to incoming audio with the new MPCs which is something Maschine can already do. This is a step back since those things can be done in existing MPCs.

There will be functions that Maschine can do and the MPC Ren/Studio can't.....and there will be functions that the MPC Ren/Studio can do that Maschine can't. It will be up to each individual to decide what is important to their workflow.

As a current Maschine user myself and a future MPC Ren owner, I can say that I am looking forward to real robust controller built to the specs of real hardware. This is very unlike Maschine's control surface that looks ike a DIY project.

I am also looking forward to full screen program editing on the MPC Ren. Maschine has close to the same level of programming but you have to navigate to as many as 6-12 pages of parameters using a cursor button or a drop-down menu whether you use the hardware or software. The MPC Ren's hardware can display 96 program parameters on 6 pages which have dedicated buttons; Maschine's hardware will have to use 12 pages accessed via a cursor button. The MPC Ren's software displays up to 96 parameters full screen; Maschine's software only shows 8 parameters at a time so you have to use a drop-down menu to access 12 pages. My personal preference is to get the monitor on to get these features.

As far as effects, in order to sample incoming audio with effects...Maschine has to assign the effect to a pad and then sample to another pad. There is nothing amazing here and no benefit. Emptysea just turned me on to this earlier in the day. I prefer just sampling audio in Maschine and then applying effects non-destructively. How the MPC Ren will do it is anyones guess. Dan, MPC Ren project manager, seems to misunderstood your question. If the MPC Ren uses the MPC 5000/1000 input thru function...then talking about effects are pointless as both models implements sampling with effects vastly better than Maschine...no assigning effects to pads..just turn it on and sample.

In a few months the MPC Ren will be released. I will be doing an extensive review and compare the pros and cons of each product as an owner of both. Empytsea, you should do the same. You will be able to debate better if you own/use MPC Ren/Studio.
By W. Steele Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:17 pm
Didn't want to read through 5 pages so idk if this has been said but for me personally : because I lost faith in Akai after the Nukai merger , lost faith in MPC's after the 1000 , spent my money on, and time learning, Maschine and now I gotta sell the fcker and get a Ren :lol: .

Funny part is that my excitement for getting my hands on a Ren overwhelms my feeling of lost time fcking w/ Maschine . I justify it w/ "at least I was staying on my beat grind" .
By inthemix Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:22 am
W. Steele wrote:Didn't want to read through 5 pages so idk if this has been said but for me personally : because I lost faith in Akai after the Nukai merger , lost faith in MPC's after the 1000 , spent my money on, and time learning, Maschine and now I gotta sell the fcker and get a Ren :lol: .

Funny part is that my excitement for getting my hands on a Ren overwhelms my feeling of lost time fcking w/ Maschine . I justify it w/ "at least I was staying on my beat grind" .

... and you'll be well versed in the controller aspect of the new unit via your previous experience with Maschine - so it weren't all wasted effort :wink:
By jpeg Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:05 am
JAH wrote:
emptysea wrote:

There will be functions that Maschine can do and the MPC Ren/Studio can't.....and there will be functions that the MPC Ren/Studio can do that Maschine can't. It will be up to each individual to decide what is important to their workflow.

think the first to do it wa roland with the sp606 but it looked kinda cheapy plastic kiddies but a dope machine cos vanderslice be killing that join, unsure why roland saw no potential in developing the concept further.

but u should be able to work on the mpc ren without looking at the screen as it will operate just like a normal mpc
By JAH Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am
jpeg wrote:
but u should be able to work on the mpc ren without looking at the screen as it will operate just like a normal mpc

So if the MPC Ren is kept this way and graphic waveform editing is per computer monitor only....do you pass on the MPC Ren and use Maschine or hardware MPC?
By jpeg Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm
i dont mind looking at the screen even with maschine i often look at the screen when editing long samples.

when its a short phrase i ten to do shit by ear, so i can work without having a waveform on the ren but i feel they should have the freedom to add new features and not be so ridgid as to not incude the benefits of new tech just for the sake of adhearing to the mpc3000 inspired desgin.

akai need to take a flexible approach and not design in features and faults from the 3k into their new line.

the 3k had no waveform cos it was that era in this ear we have advanced so they gotta move with the times also.
By Mr Varsity Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm
jpeg wrote:i dont mind looking at the screen even with maschine i often look at the screen when editing long samples.

C/S... I have Maschine and I don't mind looking at the computer screen... I think the guys bitching about having to look at the computer screen will get over it once they get use to it and see how much easier the computer screen can make a lot of things...

jpeg wrote:akai need to take a flexible approach and not design in features and faults from the 3k into their new line.

the 3k had no waveform cos it was that era in this ear we have advanced so they gotta move with the times also.

Exactly... It won't bother me at all because I don't mind using the computer but... I don't see how in 2012 anyone would think using numbers instead of a waveform was a good idea... It's not 1994.
By inthemix Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 pm
Mr Varsity wrote:
jpeg wrote:i dont mind looking at the screen even with maschine i often look at the screen when editing long samples.

C/S... I have Maschine and I don't mind looking at the computer screen... I think the guys bitching about having to look at the computer screen will get over it once they get use to it and see how much easier the computer screen can make a lot of things...

jpeg wrote:akai need to take a flexible approach and not design in features and faults from the 3k into their new line.

Exactly... It won't bother me at all because I don't mind using the computer but... I don't see how in 2012 anyone would think using numbers instead of a waveform was a good idea... It's not 1994.

Well stated on both fronts. 8)
By Coz Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:45 pm
Mr Varsity wrote:I think the guys bitching about having to look at the computer screen will get over it once they get use to it and see how much easier the computer screen can make a lot of things...

If you check out the 'Pics of your crib' thread (as an example), you can see how many people wouldn't be able to set up a screen in front of the Ren. At that point it becomes a pain to work with waveforms via the controller if they are only editable on your big monitor.

Mr Varsity wrote:I don't see how in 2012 anyone would think using numbers instead of a waveform was a good idea... It's not 1994.

Agreed. 8)
By JAH Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 pm
Well, some of you guys should be prepared to re-arrange your cribs.

I have an MPC 2000XL, Maschine and an MPD. The MPC 2000XL sits off to the side of my monitor. And depending on what I am doing, its either Maschine or the MPD32 sitting in from of my monitor. When I get my MPC Ren, it will sit directly in front of my monitor. Its a control surface for software....I wouldn't sit it any place else.

Most of the Maschine set-ups I see...Maschine is in front of the monitor. Most MV-8800 set-ups I see....it is sitting in front of the monitor. Before the MPC Ren was annouced, people I know that use MPCs to sequence VSTs had there MPC in front of the monitor.

Monitor...monitor...monitor :P
Last edited by JAH on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Aries Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:44 am
MPCWeapon1 wrote:I can understand why Maschine users are mad, but why are Beat Thang users mad??? That dude Dlpeace or whatever his name is, has two videos dissing the Renn hard, while displaying his Beat Thang.

His latest knock on it is that you can sample vinyl. He says nobody uses vinyl, he samples from YouTube..straight digital baby! That dude is hilarious.

hahahaha...really? where are these videos? link?