Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By tapedeck Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:Oh no, no external modules! I also never use midi clock. I always use MTC.

I know what you meant by the other task. But those tasks, at least on my system, account for such a small percentage of usage on the cpu/ram that I can't see how it would affect midi. I guess if you have a bunch of other effects going at the same time I could see. But I keep it mostly ITB and it's super solid for me!

So what happens with your sequencing? It just get's sloppy?

yes, the midi sequencing is just 'sloppy' is the best term to describe it.
and again, when i am talking about 'other things running'...im not talking about anything you have control over! your system, my system, it doesn't matter - it's every system.

im talking really really really low level stuff that the computer does somewhat automatically, before it even thinks about doing ANYTHING else that you have or have not told it to do. im not talking about processes running in the background and virus scanners and shit like that - im talking about a stock, brand new, empty os with nothing on it but a daw - there are still things that the computer will do BEFORE it will work with midi. im getting into more detail than i am knowledgeable on here, but im talking basic stuff like updating the mouse pointer on your screen, making sure the cpu isn't frying, checking the battery status, etc...again im just giving you an idea of how much more work a computer cpu has to run - my specific details might be off but suffice it to say, anything you tell the computer to do comes after anything it decides it needs to do on it's own, that you have little control over.
By DJ Hellfire Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:26 pm
tapedeck wrote:
DJ Hellfire wrote:Oh no, no external modules! I also never use midi clock. I always use MTC.

I know what you meant by the other task. But those tasks, at least on my system, account for such a small percentage of usage on the cpu/ram that I can't see how it would affect midi. I guess if you have a bunch of other effects going at the same time I could see. But I keep it mostly ITB and it's super solid for me!

So what happens with your sequencing? It just get's sloppy?

yes, the midi sequencing is just 'sloppy' is the best term to describe it.
and again, when i am talking about 'other things running'...im not talking about anything you have control over! your system, my system, it doesn't matter - it's every system.

im talking really really really low level stuff that the computer does somewhat automatically, before it even thinks about doing ANYTHING else that you have or have not told it to do. im not talking about processes running in the background and virus scanners and shit like that - im talking about a stock, brand new, empty os with nothing on it but a daw - there are still things that the computer will do BEFORE it will work with midi. im getting into more detail than i am knowledgeable on here, but im talking basic stuff like updating the mouse pointer on your screen, making sure the cpu isn't frying, checking the battery status, etc...again im just giving you an idea of how much more work a computer cpu has to run - my specific details might be off but suffice it to say, anything you tell the computer to do comes after anything it decides it needs to do on it's own, that you have little control over.

Yeah, I get you! It's a little over my head too. But it's my understanding that every process the computer does is listed in the task manager under the username "system" even though most of the processes uses coded/abbreviated names. The computer shouldn't be doing anything not listed in there. And those tasks use anywhere from 1-4% of CPU power. They actually use more ram if anything. So on a multi-core chip where different tasks happen on different core, wouldn't those proprietary tasks happen on a completely different core than midi and not affect each other? I don't know how technical it gets, but this is my understanding of the purpose of multiple cores.
By tapedeck Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:47 pm
we're definitely straying into areas im not expert in, but no, im thinking even more low level than task manager...key concept here is beyond the users' control / knowledge.

and im not talking cpu %, and im not talking ram.
percent cpu used and amount of ram used is meaningless if the computer says 'i dont care what you are doing, im going to do x first before i do y'....and y is what you are asking it to do.

see how power is almost irrelevant? its at the lowest level - what is the machine set up to handle, first. you might have all the cpu power in the world, but if the computer says, 'i need to send a midi message', but then says, 'i need to draw the mouse on the screen' - guess which one takes priority? again, my examples are probably flawed - someone with more knowledge could probably school us both. :mrgreen:

on a dedicated midi device, midi is very very high priority. on a personal computer, midi and all those other tasks come way after everything else you don't see or have access to.

here is a bit of tech info in the first post on this page (even if the quotes are all off...what's up with that lately!?):
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=120
By DJ Hellfire Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:43 pm
tapedeck wrote:we're definitely straying into areas im not expert in, but no, im thinking even more low level than task manager...key concept here is beyond the users' control / knowledge.

and im not talking cpu %, and im not talking ram.
percent cpu used and amount of ram used is meaningless if the computer says 'i dont care what you are doing, im going to do x first before i do y'....and y is what you are asking it to do.

see how power is almost irrelevant? its at the lowest level - what is the machine set up to handle, first. you might have all the cpu power in the world, but if the computer says, 'i need to send a midi message', but then says, 'i need to draw the mouse on the screen' - guess which one takes priority? again, my examples are probably flawed - someone with more knowledge could probably school us both. :mrgreen:

on a dedicated midi device, midi is very very high priority. on a personal computer, midi and all those other tasks come way after everything else you don't see or have access to.

here is a bit of tech info in the first post on this page (even if the quotes are all off...what's up with that lately!?):
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=151890&start=120

Yeah, I'm not talking about "power" either, but just the ability of having different tasks on different cores than can be carried out at the same time without effecting each other. It's like if I have one hand, and both my nutts and my ass itch. I have to choose which one get's first priority scratch. But if I have two hands (or 4 like Goro), my nutts and my ass can be taken care of at the same time without interfering each others task. :lol:

And yeah, I get what Dan was talking about in that post. I read it before. On a multi-core system I can't see how any really low level tasks would effect midi, unless these tasks are using all 2 or 4 cores of your chip. I would think it would have more to do with the interface driver or interface midi ability itself if anything, or maybe even the software. But on a single core chip like a Pentium 4 or something, then yeah. Highly understandable. I gotta try sequencing my JV 1010 via Pro Tools and see if I notice what you are experiencing!
By Lampdog Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:50 pm
strugglebuggiemusic wrote:Until they invent a helmet that reads our brain-waves and converts that into 64 bit audio files, our wildest dreams of pure sound and that elusive lost chord

And when that happens I'm inviting you over to my lab, we'll get drunk, "think up" some dope beats and laugh about this thread...You in? :lol:
By Blue Haze Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 pm
Lampdog wrote:
strugglebuggiemusic wrote:Until they invent a helmet that reads our brain-waves and converts that into 64 bit audio files, our wildest dreams of pure sound and that elusive lost chord

And when that happens I'm inviting you over to my lab, we'll get drunk, "think up" some dope beats and laugh about this thread...You in? :lol:

I'll join ya. :lol:
By bliprock Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:11 am
yeah I use hardware so MIDI jitter and such made me get hardware sequencer like MPC. It is more power on a computer chip compared to MPC sure. What I want to point out is that the OS is just a top layer and there are other layers of software going on as well. Right down to machine code, and this with hardware means that it does help for MIDI control ect be controlled on the most basic level for it to be a priority. So you see computers are not built for MIDI only so as stated above everything happening at the same time means its not entirely dedicated. So not really about power BUT how the machine is engineered to a specific task ie MIDI and then how the software is engineered for the machine.
People even want to keep old systems alive see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Coldfire_Project
CPU is not really issue but engineering of hardware and software of MIDI stuff.
By kneebone77 Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:47 am
Retrofreak wrote:I think music programs need their own streamlined OS.

+1