Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By tapedeck Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 am
yer computer has been way more powerful since 1994.

the issue is optimisation...an mpc (classic) was designed to be an mpc - nothing else. a computer is designed to do a thousand different things.

hardware os usually centers around squeezing the most performance out of the limited resources. computer software generally needs to work on a least-common-denominator type principle to insure it works in a variety of environments.
By strugglebuggiemusic Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:53 am
If you wanna send an email, update your facebook, or watch Illuminati rappers music videos, I guess I would choose the MacBook...(Im using one right nah)

On the other hand, if you wanna lock yourself in the studio with a stack of records, a microphone and a turntable and come up with something that sounds uniquely like you, thats got your funky, soulfull DNA all over it, then the MPC wins...

Computers are not making better music...They help make recording easier, slicker and less individual sounding, but no, not better...listen to some Waka Flacka and some Souldja Boi, and see what I mean... :lol:
By mr_debauch Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:12 am
strugglebuggiemusic wrote:On the other hand, if you wanna lock yourself in the studio with a stack of records, a microphone and a turntable and come up with something that sounds uniquely like you, thats got your funky, soulfull DNA all over it, then the MPC wins...

Computers are not making better music...They help make recording easier, slicker and less individual sounding, but no, not better...listen to some Waka Flacka and some Souldja Boi, and see what I mean... :lol:

so.. you are saying that if waka flocka and souldja boy used an mpc... they would be making good music? (because we all know it's the machine that makes the beats hot, not the man running the gear)
By Rokgod Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:21 am
strugglebuggiemusic wrote:If you wanna send an email, update your facebook, or watch Illuminati rappers music videos, I guess I would choose the MacBook...(Im using one right nah)

On the other hand, if you wanna lock yourself in the studio with a stack of records, a microphone and a turntable and come up with something that sounds uniquely like you, thats got your funky, soulfull DNA all over it, then the MPC wins...

I just find it odd that we have no detailed info/specs about the software running this machine other than it comes with 5gb sound or whatever, and has the "classic mpc" everything etc...
By mr_debauch Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:23 am
Ill-Green wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:(because we all know it's the machine that makes the beats hot, not the man running the gear)

Thats the type of mind state that says "money will make me happy".

for sure.. I mean, I can see the validity in comparing computers to hardware for certain tasks... but it strayed off when it turned into wack artists vs hardware.
By JAH Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 am
InspectahEX wrote:
strugglebuggiemusic wrote:If you wanna send an email, update your facebook, or watch Illuminati rappers music videos, I guess I would choose the MacBook...(Im using one right nah)

I just find it odd that we have no detailed info/specs about the software running this machine other than it comes with 5gb sound or whatever, and has the "classic mpc" everything etc...

•128-track sequencing capability
•Massive 6GB+ sound library, including all of the sounds of the classic MPC3000
•Instant mapping and real-time adjustment of VST plug-ins
•Record each track as an MPC drum program, Keygroup program or VST plug-in
•Works alone as your main DAW or works seamlessly with your current studio as a VST/AU/RTAS plugin
•Supports WAV, MP3, AIFF, REX and SND
•Supports samples and sequences from any MPC ever made
•Mac and PC-compatible

•Polyphony: 64
•Dynamic filtering: 1 State Variable Filter per voice (up to 8 pole, depending on type)
•Filter types: Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass, Band Boost, Band Stop, Analog Modeling, Vocal Formant
•Number of programs: 128
•Memory capacity: System Dependent. 2gb Minimum / 8gb Recommended
•Plugin Supported as Host: VST (Mac / PC), AU (Mac)

Effects
•Program Effects: 4 Insert Slots per Pad, 4 Sends to Track Effects per Pad
•Track Effects: 4 Inserts and 4 stereo Sends per Track
•Master effect: 4 Master Effect Slots Over 50 high-quality effects Included
•Instrument Plugin Formats supported: VST (Mac / PC), AU (Mac)

I am sure the manual will be available once it starts shipping. This will have to hold you over for awhile.
By strugglebuggiemusic Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:33 am
mr_debauch wrote:
strugglebuggiemusic wrote:On the other hand, if you wanna lock yourself in the studio with a stack of records, a microphone and a turntable and come up with something that sounds uniquely like you, thats got your funky, soulfull DNA all over it, then the MPC wins...

so.. you are saying that if waka flocka and souldja boy used an mpc... they would be making good music? (because we all know it's the machine that makes the beats hot, not the man running the gear)

Nah Mane, Im saying that counterfeit money drives good money out of circulation...theres a lot of fools in the music game that shouldnt be, their music is crap, but the relative ease of making beats with crackd software got them into production...anyway, evrybody knows that Soulja Boi and Waka Flaka cant read an instuction manual, so the point is moot as to what they use... :lol:
O yeh, I wanna stress the fact that it all comes down to taste: Which is developed by experience...I use both Ableton, and the 2000xl, but if my crib was on fire, and i could only take one thing, it would not be my computer, or any of my five guitars or electric Bass, or synths...it would be my MPC 2000xl, 'cause I can use it like a synth, write funky basslines with it, and sample whatever guitar sounds I need...
This subject is like asking a virgin what he prefers: French girls or Brazilian girls... :mrgreen:
By DJ Hellfire Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 pm
tapedeck wrote:yer computer has been way more powerful since 1994.

the issue is optimisation...an mpc (classic) was designed to be an mpc - nothing else. a computer is designed to do a thousand different things.

hardware os usually centers around squeezing the most performance out of the limited resources. computer software generally needs to work on a least-common-denominator type principle to insure it works in a variety of environments.
By DJ Hellfire Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 pm
InspectahEX wrote:which one wins? I'm guessing it depends on akai's software...

I have a macbook pro, wondering if my laptop's cpu is more powerful than an actual, lets say... mpc5000 internal cpu.

Not to be disrespectful, but think of ALL the shit your MAC has to be able to do and is able to do. You can run a 100+ track DAW on it with a good amount of plugins. You can edit, playback and render HD video. You can play huge video games with lots of different independent character AI and what not. And you can do these tasks while simultaneously doing other shit like word processing, or internet browsing. So, I mean this alone answers your question. Not to mention that Mac Pro's are at least dual core processors, which translates to TWO processors in a single chip. And if you are running a quad core, then...I don't think I need to explain! 8)
By Retrofreak Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:49 pm
Yes computer processors are vastly more powerful than MPC processors, but they are bogged down trying to run the OS so timing suffers as a result.

My i7 980x could probably put a man on the moon, yet it cant sequence as tight as a humble Z80 chip, let alone an Atari ST lol