Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By noramoss Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:21 pm
so basically i saw the renaissance will cost around $1299
akai is selling a controller for $1299??
i was amped about it for a lil bit but i'm like.. gtfoh!
is it going to make me put my mpc 500 and my 2500 in limbo?
the only thing about these new vst controllers is that they go straight to the computer
and u can track and mix the sounds from there, but i can do that digitally thru my mpc 2500 to my computer or i can do it thru analog..
i'm starting to see the light and $1299 for a controller is not the wave! (no pun intended).. oh but they give you tons of akai sounds.. that akai feel and i dunno what else from watching the Naam or namm videos on youtube about it.
i've seen the light and it blinded me from the hype...
i may try the fly or renaissance for the 30 days the store let's you hold it for with a full refund but i don't think it will stay.
tweet me @noramoss
By strugglebuggiemusic Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:36 pm
ARG...
This is the worst part: THE WAITING...everyday I go back and forth, doubting and hoping, praying and trying to forget about the whole thang>>>whoops! Never say thang on this forum :lol:
I want this new MPC line of products to be worth it. Its an extreme paradox that the hardware that allows you to make music without a computer might just be better if it had the guts and power of the PC/Mac, the ease of editing notes and drawing curves with a mouse and the ability to turn off the monitor, or throw a towel over it...
Im going to have to revamp my whole setup, and build/buy a new 'puter, just so I can pretty much be able to use this joint...but I still want it :oops:
By Ill-Green Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:47 pm
I know with hardware, you can return it, but since its software based, you might have a hard time refunding it unless its defected.

I was hyped about a new MPC, but felt :? when I saw its a controller. But the price is justified by Maschine's standard price of $599, and thats just the controller and software, but then they added its own sound card, which I think will use Akai's EIE units soundcard, so add $299 to the price and plus money for the development team, so $1200 seems fair. Should've been $999. but that'll happen when more competition from NI and Roland come about.

But you're right, I was thinking of justifying $1200 on spending on a MPC1000 and hook it up to Logic.

But then again my MV does everything you guys wish for...minus the load times :sad:
By Sooty_G Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:24 pm
everybody just chill. don't get caught up in this initial wave of hype.

in time, a new hardware standalone MPC will come along.

maybe Akai will make it.
maybe Roland will make it.
maybe Roger Linn will make it.
...or maybe it will be an independent developer that no one knows about yet.

but it WILL come. sooner rather than later.

not everyone wants to be chained to a computer when working on their music and that will never change.
the first company that realizes that and brings new hardware to market is going to make big bucks. the field is wide open at this point.
By DJ Hellfire Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 pm
noramoss wrote:so basically i saw the renaissance will cost around $1299
akai is selling a controller for $1299??
i was amped about it for a lil bit but i'm like.. gtfoh!
is it going to make me put my mpc 500 and my 2500 in limbo?
the only thing about these new vst controllers is that they go straight to the computer
and u can track and mix the sounds from there, but i can do that digitally thru my mpc 2500 to my computer or i can do it thru analog..
i'm starting to see the light and $1299 for a controller is not the wave! (no pun intended).. oh but they give you tons of akai sounds.. that akai feel and i dunno what else from watching the Naam or namm videos on youtube about it.
i've seen the light and it blinded me from the hype...
i may try the fly or renaissance for the 30 days the store let's you hold it for with a full refund but i don't think it will stay.
tweet me @noramoss

The major difference between the Ren controlling the software vs your 2500 controlling it is that your 2500 will never come close to the level of integration for controlling every parameter within the software. The most your 2500 can do is play midi notes and maybe map 2 parameters to q-link. The software also will not reflect on the screen of the 2500.

The major difference between tracking with the Ren vs tracking through analog is that you will never have close to the amount of outputs when tracking analog. It's up to 8 analog outs vs the Rens up to 32 outs.

The major difference between Ren as a controller vs other midi controllers on the market is that the Ren has a built in interface. So a person with only a computer can buy a Ren and bang right out. If they buy a Maschine, Studio or MPD, they still have to buy an interface if they want to be able to sample in, so the cost will still be near $1200 anyway, unless they buy a shit interface. Secondly, no other controller (excluding Maschine) will have the level of control over the software as the Ren will have. Sure, some controllers have 'hyper control', but it will never fully compare to a controller with software dedicated specifically for it!
By Coz Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:39 pm
strugglebuggiemusic wrote:Im going to have to revamp my whole setup, and build/buy a new 'puter, just so I can pretty much be able to use this joint...but I still want it :oops:

It's gonna be an expensive upgrade for you mate!

If you haven't factored in the cost of another 'real' DAW and better quality effects you're looking at a serious outlay to get the best out of it.
By DJ Hellfire Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:36 am
Coz wrote:
strugglebuggiemusic wrote:Im going to have to revamp my whole setup, and build/buy a new 'puter, just so I can pretty much be able to use this joint...but I still want it :oops:

It's gonna be an expensive upgrade for you mate!

If you haven't factored in the cost of another 'real' DAW and better quality effects you're looking at a serious outlay to get the best out of it.

I think it depends on how you use it. If you have a fairly up to date computer you should be fine just using it the same as you have a hardware MPC in the past! Samples don't really use up a lot of resources at all. It's when you start slapping on VST's that your shit starts to choke! So depending on the state of your current computer game, you may be ok til you stack your bread back up to update your computer situation.
By Coz Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:06 am
I know what you're saying H, but without a decent computer I can see the whole experience becoming a frustrating one. Much more so than the current way of just tracking sounds into your regular DAW in a few passes anyway. I think this is especially true if you struggle to run VSTs, which is a major selling point of the Ren/Studio. There's also no way of knowing at this stage how well coded the software is going to be, and how much of an impact basic things like filters and the 5k effects will create.

People also never mention the added load that automation can add to a project. Those 16 Q-links are there to be used and abused, but that CPU Meter is gonna start creeping up if you hammer them, especially on an old computer.
By DJ Hellfire Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:47 am
Coz wrote:I know what you're saying H, but without a decent computer I can see the whole experience becoming a frustrating one. Much more so than the current way of just tracking sounds into your regular DAW in a few passes anyway. I think this is especially true if you struggle to run VSTs, which is a major selling point of the Ren/Studio. There's also no way of knowing at this stage how well coded the software is going to be, and how much of an impact basic things like filters and the 5k effects will create.

People also never mention the added load that automation can add to a project. Those 16 Q-links are there to be used and abused, but that CPU Meter is gonna start creeping up if you hammer them, especially on an old computer.

Yeah definitely! Just saying, I know dudes that were running Pro Tools on Pentium 4's! :lol: Obviously they didn't have the hugest sessions, but still got stuff done. I doubt there are many P4's lurking around today, although the Ren specs say it will run on one! :lol: But that's why I say if a person with a low tier computer stays away from the VST's and all the extra shit, and just uses the Ren for basic sequencing like an XL or so, they can probably at least get the same type of beats going that can be done in an XL or other hardware MPC. But like you say, it also depends on the efficiency of the software. Being that Akai/Numark bought out Sonivox, they should be headed in the right direction as far as the software goes! We shall see! 8)