Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By JAH Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:07 pm
scoobylol wrote:I've not followed the videos in quite as much detail as you so thanks for clearing that up. It did seem like an obvious omission.

When I say draw the line, I mean the mouse and it's use within the software. In terms of computer workflow the mouse is more or less always the fastest route for anything (IMO, it is for me at least). It's so direct that even with dedicated buttons you'd struggle to get that versatility with any other peripheral. Within reason of course, and more in terms of construction over performance. And if you end up deciding that the workflow is improved by using the mouse then you've lost a big part of what the Ren is supposed to be about IMO.

I suppose my point is that I've never felt that what I perceive as the MPC workflow has ever fit in with the computer environment. It's too open ended, whereas the original format of these units has always been limited, and that's personally something that appeals to me. The creation process can be so overwhelming, that at times I like to run out of memory so I have to commit to decisions, or experiment to get more from a sound. That to me is the workflow I love, and it's the reason I got an MPC to go alongside a DAW.

Obviously none of us know yet, and it's such an individual thing anyway. But having seen what the Ren and software can do I simply can't see any real advantage over this, against using my current DAW and it's countless options. In fact all I see is Ableton and an MPD in a slightly different format with more lights.

IMO IMO IMO

You might be a candidate for my jedi-mind trick MPC 3000 style-software UI. :P

Having an option to use the mouse should not hamper you in anyway. Just hide the mouse and cover up the monitor so you don't think of Ableton.

But the fact remains is that certain functions will allow you to do things faster with a mouse. Using the hardware, the MPC Ren should be equal to or faster than previous MPCs.
By scoobylol Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:28 pm
JAH wrote:
You might be a candidate for my jedi-mind trick MPC 3000 style-software UI. :P

Having an option to use the mouse should not hamper you in anyway. Just hide the mouse and cover up the monitor so you don't think of Ableton.

But the fact remains is that certain functions will allow you to do things faster with a mouse. Using the hardware, the MPC Ren should be equal to or faster than previous MPCs.

I think I would be dude. What is it? I'm guessing a GUI with a re-creation of the 3000 screen, that limits certain features to more accurately represent the original? If so port it to an iPhone and count me in immediately :P

It's not that it would hamper me, it's simply the more I research these new units, the more I personally don't see them as a replacement for what I need from an MPC.

Still, details about your GUI would be welcomed. If you've posted them anywhere but Off Topic, chances are I've missed them. I tend to browse the forum using the New Posts button as opposed to by the sub-forums.
By JAH Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 pm
It' sjust like any other new piece of technology. You don't need it if your are satisfied with what you are currently using.

For me, I just have been looking for something that could replace MPC 5000 and Reason combo. Now I don't have to save files in too different locations...since everything will be saved in one place.

It seems my whole lige has revolved around the MPC Ren for the past few months. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I can't wait for Korg to finally release the plugin editor for Kronos. It's going to be (I hope), a match made in heaven.

About my idea...there really isn't much to it and the consensus may be that its not needed. The idea was just to minimize everything you see in the Ren's software (no knobs, no piano roll editor, no pads, no channel strips, etc) and leave you with a full screen MPC LCD UI on your monitor. It would look nothing more than plugging an LCD into the back of your favorite MPC....to play a jedi-mind trick on users so they would forget that the guts of the MPC is actually on your computer.
By scoobylol Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:23 pm
I think it's a great idea, as long as the functionality is maintained from the controller. It could almost fool you into thinking you had a 3000 with VGA output haha.

Coz wrote:I'd like to see a proper close up of the LCD... From what I've seen the waveform looks way too small compared to other MPCs.

The software seems to coming along nicely though.

Oddly this crossed my mind too. From what little you can see in the videos the waveform seems to barely fill a third of the screen.
By DJ Hellfire Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm
JAH wrote:Maschine is initially limited to a fixed number (2, 4, 8, 16, and 32). You then have to use Maschine's add or remove slice to get the desired number of slices you want.

Yeah, that's one thing I hate about Maschine. You can trick it though using Grid Mode slicing and adjusting the tempo and note length manually to get the amount of chops you want. But it's much quicker being able to just dial in the exact amount of chops you want!
By Kryptonite Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 pm
I intend on using the MPC-R with my Macbook's lid closed.

From an old DJ's perspective, It's hard to set yourself apart from DJs. First I went from vinyl to Ableton, but now that every DJ is using a laptop, it's important to be starting at hardware rather than a computer to set yourself apart. I still appreciate the processing/memory power of the macbook, so I don't mind that the Ren requires a computer to run, but as long as I can run it with my laptop closed I'll be happy.
By DJ Hellfire Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:32 pm
Kryptonite wrote:I intend on using the MPC-R with my Macbook's lid closed.

From an old DJ's perspective, It's hard to set yourself apart from DJs. First I went from vinyl to Ableton, but now that every DJ is using a laptop, it's important to be starting at hardware rather than a computer to set yourself apart. I still appreciate the processing/memory power of the macbook, so I don't mind that the Ren requires a computer to run, but as long as I can run it with my laptop closed I'll be happy.

Nonsense! Doesn't matter what you use that set's you apart. It's your skill! Who give's a **** if you and I both use the same shit? If you're better than me you're better than me, plain and simple! Use what you want how you want!