Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By mixedbyhawk Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:13 am
So I currently use the 2500 and have into the software arena (beatmaking) via Pro Tools. I preordered the studio but need to know when I transfer all drum kits to my computer and then pull them up in the MPC software/ProTools, will the sounds be recognized as midi or audio? The reason I ask is because midi allows your workflow to be faster IMO, quantizing audio in PT slows you down (also IMO). Thanks for comments.
By JAH Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 am
mixedbyhawk wrote:So I currently use the 2500 and have into the software arena (beatmaking) via Pro Tools. I preordered the studio but need to know when I transfer all drum kits to my computer and then pull them up in the MPC software/ProTools, will the sounds be recognized as midi or audio? The reason I ask is because midi allows your workflow to be faster IMO, quantizing audio in PT slows you down (also IMO). Thanks for comments.

Audio will be audio, MIDI will be MIDI.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:27 am
All your (Akai OS) 2500 projects should load up into the MPC Software and be recreated exactly as originally made (I assume there will be some stuff that may need tweaking like effects etc). Once in the MPC Software, they'll be just like any MPC project - programs, sequences, samples, songs etc, all controllable and editable within the software or via your Studio - there's no conversion to audio or any need to sync etc. The software is basically a 'virtual MPC', it's a computer based MPC, with lots of extra goodies like VST support etc. The MPC Studio is a dedicated hardware unit that you can use to control it.
By Ill-Green Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:All your (Akai OS) 2500 projects should load up into the MPC Software and be recreated exactly as originally made (I assume there will be some stuff that may need tweaking like effects etc). Once in the MPC Software, they'll be just like any MPC project - programs, sequences, samples, songs etc, all controllable and editable within the software or via your Studio - there's no conversion to audio or any need to sync etc. The software is basically a 'virtual MPC', it's a computer based MPC, with lots of extra goodies like VST support etc. The MPC Studio is a dedicated controller.

Like this and :mrgreen:
By ntalec Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:All your (Akai OS) 2500 projects should load up into the MPC Software and be recreated exactly as originally made (I assume there will be some stuff that may need tweaking like effects etc). Once in the MPC Software, they'll be just like any MPC project - programs, sequences, samples, songs etc, all controllable and editable within the software or via your Studio - there's no conversion to audio or any need to sync etc. The software is basically a 'virtual MPC', it's a computer based MPC, with lots of extra goodies like VST support etc. The MPC Studio is a dedicated hardware unit that you can use to control it.

But since it's software and previous Akai aspect why not make it translate so that you don't have to rework anything?
That would be worth mentioning.
This has been been acceptable in hardware but in software it's not.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 pm
ntalec wrote:But since it's software and previous Akai aspect why not make it translate so that you don't have to rework anything?

I didn't say you have to 'rework' stuff, I said the absolute opposite! I said that the new software should read Akai OS created MPC2500 projects fine - it will recreate the project as it was in your 2500 - just double click the original PRJ file and all the sequences, programs, sounds and songs should load up in the virtual MPC and you can carry on where you left off.

The only things you may have to 'tweak' may be in areas where the new software has different/improved/advanced implementation compared to legacy MPCs. I say 'may' because perhaps even this could be covered.

I really wouldn't be worried about backward compatibility at all
By mixedbyhawk Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:40 pm
Using the MPC software is like using it in standalone mode?

When it's loaded like a VST, and you want to use your previous sounds (audio) from the 2500 how will it appear in ProTools? (I'm also assuming all of your sounds will need to be transferred to the computer).

I'm assuming you will create an instrument track or midi whichever you prefer but will the recording of the audio appear as midi info (blocks)?

I hope this makes since.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 pm
mixedbyhawk wrote:also what if you were using the JJ OS?

I think you'll mostly be fine with JJOS1 and JJ Free. But the other JJ OS use a different program file system to Akai OS.

Not sure about using the MPC itself as a VST plugin in Pro Tools nor how that is set up to work. Maybe Dan from Akai can answer that one if he sees this topic.
By dazastah Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:59 pm
Whats the reason for loading up inside protools? to mix together with voxs? No offence but pro tools is pretty sucky to use... The only thing i like about it is automation editing...
mixedbyhawk wrote:I'm assuming you will create an instrument track or midi whichever you prefer but will the recording of the audio appear as midi info (blocks)?

you assume pretty good.
IT will stream via it's plug in instrument track like any other vst/ rtas(not sure if rtas is instrument???) But i'd say it will work very much like maschine. And you'll have to setup complex routing for it to be able to send and recieve midi on the separate tracks/pgms inside 'studio' or 'ren'..as well as the audio streams coming from "studio" and "ren" into a protools instrument audio track... i'd dare bet midi editing will be much better inside the standalone version of the akai software.(I'd hope so at the least..) your better off doing it all inside the akai software then exporting out to protools for further engineering and arrangement.

I find loading Maschine as a vst a total work flow killer... Simply because the transport system is screwed up and lost to the host daw.. Transport is probably one of the main if not the main essence/foundation of work flow. Once you're in a daw your driving a daw..
By ntalec Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:55 pm
To date Akai has yet to pull off compatibility and I seriously doubt they will do it this time.
It's in software so there is absolutely no reason why Akai shouldn't now be able to translate a legacy MPC project into the Ren/Studio just as it was in the device of creation.
There is nothing that complicated about any of the MPs of hte past that should prevent Akai from pulling it off without issues.

I just have a strong feeling it will once again do the ignore features that are different instead of translating them.

MPC-Tutor wrote:
ntalec wrote:But since it's software and previous Akai aspect why not make it translate so that you don't have to rework anything?

I didn't say you have to 'rework' stuff, I said the absolute opposite! I said that the new software should read Akai OS created MPC2500 projects fine - it will recreate the project as it was in your 2500 - just double click the original PRJ file and all the sequences, programs, sounds and songs should load up in the virtual MPC and you can carry on where you left off.

The only things you may have to 'tweak' may be in areas where the new software has different/improved/advanced implementation compared to legacy MPCs. I say 'may' because perhaps even this could be covered.

I really wouldn't be worried about backward compatibility at all