Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By v00d00ppl Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm
Have you guys tried to pitch down your sounds slightly? That's how vintage modes works for me with battery 3. Try sampling at a higher pitch and then pitching down slightly, that should put it to the test. Especially with the high frequency sounds or high hats.
By m56p87 Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:Have you guys tried to pitch down your sounds slightly? That's how vintage modes works for me with battery 3. Try sampling at a higher pitch and then pitching down slightly, that should put it to the test. Especially with the high frequency sounds or high hats.

I don't think that would give you any artifacts like the sp1200 did when using that classic trick, simply because of how well machines are built these days. but it would definitely lower your sample rate and that combined with the vintage mode should give you a good warm sound. You could also just convert the samples to a lower sample rate in audacity or batch in iTunes etc..
By Alkota Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:51 pm
You may be on to something... haha. I'm really stoked for Renaissance. Having left the 2KXL and gone 100% Reason the last few years has left me missing the MPC workflow! Of course, I have an SP-1200 when I wanna dirty some things up, but I'm ready to get this thing.

DJ Hellfire wrote:
Alkota wrote:I know this has probably been asked before... but w/ the Vintage mode... is it being performed via software algorithms? Or built in AD/DA converters? Just curious if this is true analog flavor or just analog modeling.

Alkota wrote:So for the additional "analog flavor" ala 3000,60, SP1200 mode... you have to bounce your tracks through Ren's outputs?

Makes sense.

You must be cooking up some tasty new kits! :nod:

Anyway, I believe the way it works is that the actual vintage mode button (3000, 60, 1200) are all software emulations and do not need to be bounces out of the hardware outs. However, the hardware outs are the exact same as the MPC 3000, just with upgrade converters. So bounce anything out the outs (even without vintage mode on) will add some 3000 flavor. Not 100% sure, but this is how I interpreted the information.
By Alkota Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:53 pm
Also, saw a sounds & gear video where you can resample your main outs, i.e. resample your drums w/ 3000 DA converters... sweet!
By Dee-J Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:32 pm
I can honestly say I've never been interested in the vintage mode on the Ren....There have been lot's of posts on people wanting to hear the difference, does it really matter that much?...........Not a dig but a fair question.
By moyphee Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 pm
Alkota wrote:Also, saw a sounds & gear video where you can resample your main outs, i.e. resample your drums w/ 3000 DA converters... sweet!

There are no MPC3000 converters in the MPC Ren.
By Clint Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:40 pm
Dee-J wrote:I can honestly say I've never been interested in the vintage mode on the Ren....There have been lot's of posts on people wanting to hear the difference, does it really matter that much?...........Not a dig but a fair question.

Some folk cant afford a 3000 and a 60, looking for a way in.

At the same time owners of those Linn machines have been known to hype them up to justify the cost of their purchase and protect their investment.

I think sound quality is a subjective area, and always will be.

But, would you want a kit car with a Toyota engine that looks like a Ferrari, or a real Ferrari?
By master-ceo Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:11 pm
Dee-J wrote:I can honestly say I've never been interested in the vintage mode on the Ren....There have been lot's of posts on people wanting to hear the difference, does it really matter that much?...........Not a dig but a fair question.

What's wrong with wanting to hear how it sounds? And yes it matters because it's a feature of the Ren. if it don't matter to you or anybody else then cool Live and let live.

JD was sure excited about it. (or what he thought in his own mind what 60 mode was :lol: ) I also see videos of cats using it and saying they like to keep it on 60 mode. So me being a future owner would have liked to hear how it sounds with a proper presentation.
By Dee-J Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 pm
I can't afford a 3000 or 60 either, although if the ren hadn't have been launched I would have had a good try at saving up for one!.....I'm purchasing a Ren when they arrive in the UK.....So far it looks very flowing and creative to use.

Do you own a Ren clint246clint.....If so was the vintage mode a key issue for you?

@ master-ceo.......JD was funny :lol:
By IMAKEMADBEATS Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:38 pm
Alkota wrote:Also, saw a sounds & gear video where you can resample your main outs

i do this.
By djerratic Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 pm
Perhaps i should chime in if it helps anybody. I have owned a couple of 3000's, and work alot in the 1k. I just traded my Renaissance for a mint 3000 LE because i couldn't stand OS 1.0. I may get another one when i can turn my monitors off.

I had the Renaissance for 2 weeks. Tested a few things out and compared it to my s2800. The mpc 3000 low pass filter in the Ren to me, sounded the same. Redid q tip's let's ride and finished a couple of loops.

When i sampled in the Ren and the s2800, with the gain pretty high which i am used to doing for drums, and they both sound good, but i preferred the 2800 overdrive. The character was different. I don't know if it's psychological but the uncertainty of what's in the Ren was killing me also, and it doesn't have the lo mid high gain switches so i had to make the source even louder. I don't like reissues, modes, or emulations, i like the originals just to save me the time of curiosity.

At the end of the day, it just comes down to how u put ur music together. Dope music sounds good even from a laptop, considering it lost all the bass and vintage warmness. It's the music. Alot of people praise the older models because that's what were used to using, used to hearing, and it's reliable.
Last edited by djerratic on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Clint Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:23 pm
Dee-J wrote:Do you own a Ren clint246clint.....If so was the vintage mode a key issue for you?

Don't have a Ren, but I do have two 60's and a 3000LE...in the hardware for sale forum.

Was that a shameless plug??
By Clint Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:26 pm
Dee-J wrote:I can't afford a 3000 or 60 either, although if the ren hadn't have been launched I would have had a good try at saving up for one!.....I'm purchasing a Ren when they arrive in the UK....

Isn't the Ren about £800 street price in the UK?

If you can afford a Ren you can afford a 60 or a 3000 easily, if you got cash.
By Dee-J Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 am
clint246clint wrote:
Dee-J wrote:I can't afford a 3000 or 60 either, although if the ren hadn't have been launched I would have had a good try at saving up for one!.....I'm purchasing a Ren when they arrive in the UK....

Isn't the Ren about £800 street price in the UK?

If you can afford a Ren you can afford a 60 or a 3000 easily, if you got cash.

Ren's in the UK are offered at £699.......3000's are going for over £1000
I'm a hardware guy so the 3000 did appeal to me....thought I'd try to get into the software side of things a little with the Ren......Thing's used to be so simple working in cubase on the Atari many years ago!.....I can make the change.......can't I? :-D

I've seen your 3000 on ebay too.......nice!
By c0pasetik Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 am
converters - please - bunch of nonsence from what I can tell. I have asio4all installed on my laptop that I have the renaissance hooked up to. When I select the wack internal soundcard on my laptop and the asio4all driver, I can still select vintage mode and hear the same aiight sound out of my wigetty wack sound card as the sound the comes from the MP outs. The plaaaaaayed me dawg. Bing mode for sp1200 is buggy to. For whatever reason - makes no sense, but when you audition, or play certain samples, it will play it back staticy sometimes and echo the sound well after you play it at other times.. Soundwise, one of the best things going for the mp is the 809 (808) emulation plugin - if you like those kind of sounds, them shitz sound niiiiiice. Don['t know why these fools signed sonivox up. Sonivox's sounds are wack.